John

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by John »

:shock:
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I always kind of assumed there was something fishy about Rebellion Watches

Like one day it'll come out that it was all a front for something, or a big scam etc

Kind if like that funny energy drink that was in F1 a couple of years ago...
John

Post by John »

How about a forum watch, virtual revels for the best emblem idea :D

https://www.christopherward.com/bespok ... Q8,1XT1K,1
mik

Post by mik »

John wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:59 pm How about a forum watch, virtual revels for the best emblem idea :D

https://www.christopherward.com/bespok ... Q8,1XT1K,1
That’s how this one got commissioned (see page50 of this very Fred).

The emblem has to be Steve giving the vicky, supported by the tag line “TAUC”

DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Shouldn't "Owners Edition" have an apostrophe in it?

Details people, details.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

There's a different ' edition for that version.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

DaveE

Post by DaveE »

My new San Martin watch just arrived 😀

It's a definite improvement over the previous one: finishing/brushing seems much better, it's even slimmer (good for a small, 36mm case), same great bracelet (and they fitted their bigger clasp, FoC like I asked on the order)

The slimmer bezel, and 'top-hat' sapphire crystal do work to make the face look bigger vs the case (as it is)

And the larger applied markers and bigger, snowflake hands lend it a much more chunky/purposeful look

Same great lume too (just a glimpse of sunlight and you can see it glowing)

Amazing value for £230 (no taxes/customs charges either)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I’ve obviously been wearing my Apple Watch quite a bit. I said ‘Hey Siri, set me a 30 minute timer’ today, looked down and realised my Seamaster was not going to oblige.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:09 pm I’ve obviously been wearing my Apple Watch quite a bit. I said ‘Hey Siri, set me a 30 minute timer’ today, looked down and realised my Seamaster was not going to oblige.
:lol:
mik

Post by mik »

New Spinnaker Hasss model just released in 2 colour options (both as ltd editions apparently).

43mm wide is just fine. 16mm thick makes it rather a chunky monkey, but I guess it enables the extremely deep dial - feels like I could slip my speedos on and dive right in. 8-)

Japanese auto movement (as usual for Spinnaker) helps keep the pricing keen at £375, but there are chunky discounts available too. :geek:

I like it.

Skip to 1min15s to see the watch.
Beany

Post by Beany »

@admin your help is required :(
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Japanese auto movement (as usual for Spinnaker) helps keep the pricing keen at £375
I must admit I thought that £375 was quite a lot (too much?) for a watch with a lowly Seiko NH16 movement (given that there's a huge selection of watches on AliExpress for c£50 that use the similar NH35 movement, while also including things like sapphire crystals, full 316l construction, etc)

As you say it's a chunky monkey in all directions (way too big for me to consider) - it must weigh quite a bit

I'm quite curious about the new Tudor Ranger, although even at "only" 39mm, I still fear it'll be too big for my wrist/taste - keen to try one in the flesh.

Would also like to try an Omega Aqua Terra in 38mm - think this looks really good, is quite understated, small(ish), and COSC certified (some interesting dial colours too):

John

Post by John »

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Are prices falling quickly? I've been joking about getting a rrp rolex for my 50th next year but they are so overpriced on the secondary market it's unlikely.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

John wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:59 am Cheap auto Hamilton

https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/0124260/ ... ns-Watch/p
Already out of stock!

I’m kinda tempted by the cream dial for £465 though.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Broccers wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:59 am Are prices falling quickly? I've been joking about getting a rrp rolex for my 50th next year but they are so overpriced on the secondary market it's unlikely.
No

They've dropped a little (but they've been climbing massively for several years now)

So you'll not be able to get one anywhere near close to retail or from an AD

It's just clickbait "Rolex prices collapse!" etc

I saw an article like this the other day, but what the data were saying was that there was another big rise in prices just after the Watches & Wonders event, and then they returned to what they were before that event

So yes, just recently prices have dropped a little (following a brief spike) to what they were a couple of months ago...

Source: https://usa.watchpro.com/rolex-watch-pr ... ry-market/
Last edited by DaveE on Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Popped into Brighton on Sunday and had a look at the Tudor Ranger and the Omega Aquaterra 38mm

The Ranger is a lovely watch! And a bargain too (if you can say that about a watch that costs £2.4k!)

I think it may be a tad too big for me (although that may be because I've got used to 36mm watches of late) - really well made, in-house movement etc) - the rubber strap is great (has a deployant buckle too)

Want to try one on the bracelet as Tudors now have the same glide-lock adjustment clasp as Rolex, which is genius

The Omega was beautiful, felt better on the wrist, but it's over twice the price of the Tudor (it's better in all technical respects, but that's quite a leap) - it was very blingy though - catches the light a lot

Also, there's a new model that's been announced and looks to have a much nicer looking bracelet (closer to the Rolex "presidential") - so worth waiting for that one and seeing how that looks/feels

Downside is that the Omega has a butterfly clasp with no micro-adjust at all (just some half-links) so getting a good fit might be tricky (especially when it gets hot/cold and your wrist grows/shrinks quite a bit)