The Watches Thread

John

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by John »

Love the Grand Seiko 8-)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That was meant to have been kept secret...
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

GG. wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:17 pm
Alex_ wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:17 am For the trained eye, the printing on the fake Deepsea is off. Not bad for 50 quid though.
No italicisation on the 'm' or 'ft' too ;)

The real give aways that show it up as a fake at a glance though (as well as the clasp detail as Jobbo notes) is the way the indices markers are just printed on top of the bezel rather than inset, how it doesn't sit flush with the knurled metal ring around it and the convex lume dot at the 12' o clock (should be flat).

Not bad overall though.
Interesting stuff, I’ll look out for this level of detail on others, although I’m stopping after the next arrive, as that will be 130 quid in total for the four. There’s a Daytona coming at some point plus a Chopard. Will post pics. And yeah related to Simon’s point, spending 50 quid on something like this is one thing, but having even several hundred or upwards of a grand and then spending it on a fake... That mentality I really cannot understand, but maybe it’s just a matter of scale. And I wonder whether the lack of italics is because they just overlooked it or it’s difficult to do (shouldn’t think so, given they have to print it anyway?)

And that Grand Seiko of Alex’s is indeed lovely.

In other news, the (real) GMT still awaits a repair to that really rather bizarre mark inside the case, under the sapphire. It’ll be going to Breitling in Kent when I’m allowed to. Think it has to go via Goldmiths where I bought it from.
John

Post by John »

Decent reduction on this Victorinox at TK Maxx if you feel that your watch needs to have a torch/strobe and blue dial illumination.

https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/men/access ... p/76082553

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Phones have torches.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I can see an American wearing that with their EDC fannypack 😂
Still just over £100 for a watch actual sapphire is a good deal.
How about not having a sig at all?
John

Post by John »

Rich B wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:50 pm Phones have torches.
And tell the time, oh.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Nice GS Alex. 8-)
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Alex_ wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:38 pm Image
I’m not a watch aficionado so rarely read this thread, but that’s very very nice 8-)
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Cheers everyone.
M235i
Richard

Post by Richard »

Alex_ wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:11 pm
Pete_ wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:38 pm Looks lovely! Get some super close up shots of the dial!
Just for you Pete ;)

Just look at the finishing of the hands and indexes, all hand polished by ninjas.

EDIT: excuse the out of focus date :oops:
Just incredible. What a wonderful thing. The finishing really is otherworldly

I wonder how they etch the face
Richard

Post by Richard »

Pete_ wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:26 am Back from service, seems to be working perfectly and that internal scraping noise has gone. I've given it a pair of new suede shoes as well. :P

I love the Explorer - clean, tough looking, well built tool watch

I really don't like the Explorer II though - they somehow look a bit like a generic "sports watch" that you might find in the Argos catalogue. And I can't imagine finding the 24 hour function useful
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Rich, I still have no idea how GS make their textured dials. GMTs are useful if you need a quick reference to a second time zone. I set mines to HK time when my parents are over there. As for the Explorer II, I much prefer the last generation 40mm model, the current ones just isn't rightly proportioned imo.
M235i
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

So I just bought myself a "fake" Rolex BLNR :)

I've lots on YouTube about brands like "Pagani Design" who make these fakes/homages and I was weak...

I really like the look of the Rolex BLNR, but there's no way I'm finding the thick end of £15k for a real one, so I thought for £60, I'd buy a copy - to see what one would look like on my wrist, and just because I was curious about such cheap watches.

And I must say, I'm really rather impressed.

No, I won't wear it out (for fear that someone will notice it says "Pagani Design" where it should say "Rolex"), and it's not been bought as an alternative to owning a real Rolex, I've got quite a few watches that I have just for fun, and this is one of them.

It wouldn't pass for a real BLNR, but it's a change from the daily-wear Omega, and a change is as good as a rest IMO.

if anyone's even remotely interested, I got it here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001037561342.html
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

You won’t wear it out?! So just around the house? 😂

I like that it doesn’t say Rolex!
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:47 pm You won’t wear it out?! So just around the house? 😂

I like that it doesn’t say Rolex!
Like slippers :)

OK, I may wear it out, if there's no chance anyone will see it (but me) - but it would be shameful to be caught wearing such a thing IMO

Besides, who knows when we're all going to be out and about? ;)
John

Post by John »

I wouldn't class Pagani Design watches as fakes as they don't have Rolex on the watch face, it is obvious where they get their styling ideas from though :)

I quite like the "Explorer"

Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

The bracelet on these clones put a lot of brands and watches in the £1-2k range to shame.
M235i
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Had to google BLNR :oops:

£60 quid or so for an automatic is pretty good!
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

Agree - not fake if it doesn’t claim to be something it isn’t via false branding. Even if it is a bit Landwind....