The Watches Thread

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Jobbo »

Alex_ wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:17 am For the trained eye, the printing on the fake Deepsea is off. Not bad for 50 quid though.
The machining on the clasp makes it obvious it's not genuine too, but then you can (if so inclined) pay hundreds or thousands for better fakes. I suspect buying the real thing is more cost effective than a fake though, if you ever intend to sell it.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Alex_ wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:17 am For the trained eye, the printing on the fake Deepsea is off. Not bad for 50 quid though.
No italicisation on the 'm' or 'ft' too ;)

The real give aways that show it up as a fake at a glance though (as well as the clasp detail as Jobbo notes) is the way the indices markers are just printed on top of the bezel rather than inset, how it doesn't sit flush with the knurled metal ring around it and the convex lume dot at the 12' o clock (should be flat).

Not bad overall though.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:57 am Shame they don't do replicas which just look like nice watches just without the fake branding and badges.
Well you do have brands like Omologato for that, not £50 cheap though but cheap enough for a nice looking watch.
How about not having a sig at all?
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Let's go back to real watches finished to an exceptional level. I picked up this Grand Seiko just before the lockdown. The reference is SBGA387 if anyone is interested. The finishing on the dial, indexes, hands and case are on a different level compared to Rolex and Omega at a similar price point. The detail and hand polishing are insanely good, just look at the multi-faceted edges of the lugs which you don't really notice during normal wear. Mines came on a stainless steel bracelet but I switched it out for a blue grained leather strap, now back on the bracelet.

M235i
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Alex, that is utterly gorgeous. While I love the texture of the white Snowflake's dial, the lack of colour would always make me think twice before buying one. The blue is simply amazing.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:57 am Shame they don't do replicas which just look like nice watches just without the fake branding and badges.
Loads of sterile homages on AliExpress
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Alex_ wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:38 pm Let's go back to real watches finished to an exceptional level. I picked up this Grand Seiko just before the lockdown. The reference is SBGA387 if anyone is interested. The finishing on the dial, indexes, hands and case are on a different level compared to Rolex and Omega at a similar price point. The detail and hand polishing are insanely good, just look at the multi-faceted edges of the lugs which you don't really notice during normal wear. Mines came on a stainless steel bracelet but I switched it out for a blue grained leather strap, now back on the bracelet.

The Toyota Century of watches 8-)
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:46 pm I’m at it again:
Get a AAA next time
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:06 pm Alex, that is utterly gorgeous. While I love the texture of the white Snowflake's dial, the lack of colour would always make me think twice before buying one. The blue is simply amazing.
Jobbo - Yeh, the change in colour of the blue is mesmerising. It looks even better in real life. It's not quite the same dial texture as the Snowflake. GS calls this one the "kira-zuri".
M235i
GG.

Post by GG. »

Looks amazing at 100% magnification. Textured dial is very funky. Almost looks like fabric!
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

GG. wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:12 pm Looks amazing at 100% magnification. Textured dial is very funky. Almost looks like fabric!
Full-frame + fast macro lens ;)
M235i
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Alex_ wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:35 pm
GG. wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:12 pm Looks amazing at 100% magnification. Textured dial is very funky. Almost looks like fabric!
Full-frame + fast macro lens ;)
A lot better than Seiko themselves manage in their online photos - they seem to treat the GS range as if they're just showing Seiko 5s!
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Looks lovely! Get some super close up shots of the dial!
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Pete_ wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:38 pm Looks lovely! Get some super close up shots of the dial!
Just for you Pete ;)

Just look at the finishing of the hands and indexes, all hand polished by ninjas.

EDIT: excuse the out of focus date :oops:
M235i
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Clearly a fake/second, the top of the R at the bottom has fallen off.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Not sure if the light blue is a colour that I'd choose, but the finishing is so beautiful. I love the slightly darker denim-like coloured GSs especially the SBGK005, and also the white snowfall effect ones. I'd love a GS in my life but I think they're all too big for me, they don't do any 36mm sizes do they?
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Pete_ wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:36 pm Not sure if the light blue is a colour that I'd choose, but the finishing is so beautiful. I love the slightly darker denim-like coloured GSs especially the SBGK005, and also the white snowfall effect ones. I'd love a GS in my life but I think they're all too big for me, they don't do any 36mm sizes do they?
If you want a smaller GS then maybe something like this: https://shop.hodinkee.com/collections/g ... 3312134219. GS are all over the place with their line up and some models are specific to certain countries.
M235i
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That GS is lovely. My cousin has a GS too and rates it highest in his quite nice collection.

Realised I never posted a picture of my watch on the new strap. Those faint of wrist should probably look away now...

50p coin for scale...

It sits heavy on the wrist, but that's how I like it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
John

Post by John »

Is it true they tested the Big Ben scaffolding on your watch? ;)