The Watches Thread

Alex_

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Alex_ »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:05 pm Given the Navitimer is 15mm thick, give or take, 18mm sounds hefty indeed. Presumably you don't wear that with any cuffs?
Just under my jacket :D
M235i
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

John wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:19 pm As I posted on the last forum I recently bought a Rolex BLNR after being on the waiting list for almost a year. I was actually on the waiting lists of two Rolex dealers and a couple of weeks after buying my watch the second dealer phoned me and well you can guess where this is going.

A friend also wanted one so I offered it him at list (silly boy) and he turned me down :shock: so I sold it to a grey dealer for a nice but not excessive profit. I know people frown on this but I'm pretty certain if I hadn't bought it someone else would have done the same.
And I thought we ( the OV9's 😜) were friends.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I certainly don’t frown on that, John - if they’ve made you wait a year for a watch you actually want to wear, it lessens the pain a bit! I take it your AD didn’t hang onto the warranty card etc?
John

Post by John »

Warranty card supplied luckily. They did insist that all the stickers were removed in the shop though.
John

Post by John »

Carlos wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:23 pm
And I thought we ( the OV9's 😜) were friends.
I... forgot my login details.
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

Omega fanboi over here. I don’t have anything against Rolex, they’re beautiful, but I just never saw one I really, really wanted. Nothing against Breitling either, but holy fucking shit! 48mm? Like a bloody manhole cover... Kudos to those who can carry them off, but I worry I’ll look like a low-rent Public Enemy tribute.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

For those interested (i.e. probably no-one) I still absolutely love my IWC 8 months down the line. I'll see if I can find a bigger picture but this will do for now:

John

Post by John »

That's to scale, yeah?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

No it's a little bigger in real life so people can REALLY FUCKING SEE IT.
John

Post by John »

:lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

My mate just bought himself a Rolex Daytona in gold/steel. Literally one of only 3 watches I really want. Bastard.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I know it's personal choice, so it's great that people really like the watches they've chosen, but...

When I see that Brietling, my very first reaction is: it looks like a slide-rule. Not nice.

BLNRs are lovely watches (I know a few people with them) and can, apparently, be flipped for a quick buck.

Speaking of which, I saw an Omega "dark side of the moon" at Gatwick airport recently - not seen one before and I thought it looked great (might be hard to tell the time though, the whole thing is black - reminded me of that bit from Hitchhiker's Guide). But tax free, it was £7100 - high street is £8500 - a relative bargain.

The Milgauss is a very nice watch too and quite understated - and a nice change from the ubiquitous subs...
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I think Breitlings are repulsive and the people who like them are automatically cunts.

Nothing personal :)
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:05 am I think Breitlings are repulsive and the people who like them are automatically cunts.

I met up with a mate at the weekend and walked past a jewellers who had loads of Brietlings in the window and there was ONE that I thought looked nice - the rest were really gaudy...

I could have just replied "yes" to your post though ;)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I've seen one or two that don't scream "LOOK AT ME AND MY BREITLING, I'M SUPER SUCCESSFUL AND I DRIVE A PORSCHE"

SD's is very much not one of them.

Each to their own, of course. Some people don't like my IWC - not that they're alive any more.
Last edited by JLv3.0 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ste

Post by ste »

The Omega shop in Gatwick has always struck me as a great place to get a cut-price Omega. I even wondered about buying a cheap ticket to somewhere just to enter the airside shops, buying a watch and then leaving. Not sure on the legality of that? I guess if you're buying tax free you should pay the tax if you intend to keep it in the country?

Having seen John's BLNR I can confirm that it's lovely.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:05 am I think Breitlings are repulsive and the people who like them are automatically cunts.

My mate who bought the Daytona above has a Breitling, which I described as "exactly the kind of watch an RS4 owner would buy", mainly because he bought it when he had his RS4. He has a Porsche now.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I think it was this one that I liked:

It's a bit weekend wariior "Did I tell you I know someone in the SAS?" - but the least showy of the range.

I like the Bremont Martin Baker (although it's too big for me):

JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:11 am

My mate who bought the Daytona above has a Breitling, which I described as "exactly the kind of watch an RS4 owner would buy", mainly because he bought it when he had his RS4. He has a Porsche now.
So what watch should I be wearing as an RS4 owner? :lol:

Need the info!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:14 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:11 am

So what watch should I be wearing as an RS4 owner? :lol:

Need the info!
Middle-aged Dirtbag