The Watches Thread

DeskJockey

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by DeskJockey »

Hmmm... seems to be pointless. Can only find one SNE497P1 for sale anywhere (in Spain). Apparently it is a discontinued model. That's quite annoying.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Interesting to read the background on the Seiko Tunas, the Grandfather Tuna is the coolest one obvs. 8-)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Anybody have experience buying through Chronos24? There's a few for sale on there, but I don't know anything about the platform.
---
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:43 pm Hmmm... seems to be pointless. Can only find one SNE497P1 for sale anywhere (in Spain). Apparently it is a discontinued model. That's quite annoying.
Just checked - a “barely worn” and therefore immaculate one sold on the Chris Ward forum in 2019. Initial asking price was £300. Not sure what it was sold for, but the asking price reduced incrementally down to £260.

I can put a post in their “wanted” section for you if you like?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:41 am
DeskJockey wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:43 pm Hmmm... seems to be pointless. Can only find one SNE497P1 for sale anywhere (in Spain). Apparently it is a discontinued model. That's quite annoying.
Just checked - a “barely worn” and therefore immaculate one sold on the Chris Ward forum in 2019. Initial asking price was £300. Not sure what it was sold for, but the asking price reduced incrementally down to £260.

I can put a post in their “wanted” section for you if you like?
Yes please!
---
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:19 am Interesting to read the background on the Seiko Tunas, the Grandfather Tuna is the coolest one obvs. 8-)
Yes, the Tuna was a new one on me. There's one Grandfather Tuna on eBay at the moment.
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

@DeskJockey done! I would post a link, but you need 50+ posts on the forum before you can access the Sales area (as it was abused in the past) so you probably wouldn’t be able to view it.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:33 am @DeskJockey done! I would post a link, but you need 50+ posts on the forum before you can access the Sales area (as it was abused in the past) so you probably wouldn’t be able to view it.
Thanks. I'll take it on trust!
---
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I have a Kinetic Tuna (SUN019) which I don't wear and I'd be willing to part with at mate's rates, Alex. Video review here: https://wornandwound.com/review/seiko-p ... p1-review/

It hasn't been charged for a couple of years so may well need a new capacitor - I'll put it on today to see if it charges up. And it's a Kinetic which may or may not float your boat; it's also a GMT which again may or may not be for you. It is a nice watch, but my eyes are bigger than my wrists I think :lol:

ETA: got it out of the watch box, put it on and it started ticking with one swing of my wrist. I'll wear it all day to make sure it holds charge.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:16 am I have a Kinetic Tuna (SUN019) which I don't wear and I'd be willing to part with at mate's rates, Alex. Video review here: https://wornandwound.com/review/seiko-p ... p1-review/

It hasn't been charged for a couple of years so may well need a new capacitor - I'll put it on today to see if it charges up. And it's a Kinetic which may or may not float your boat; it's also a GMT which again may or may not be for you. It is a nice watch, but my eyes are bigger than my wrists I think :lol:

ETA: got it out of the watch box, put it on and it started ticking with one swing of my wrist. I'll wear it all day to make sure it holds charge.
That's sorely tempting, as you mentioning it previously (years ago I think) made me start looking at them. PM sent!
---
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

SUN019 is a massive lump, that's a good shout Simon. There's a guy on the TZ-UK forum selling an SNJ025 "Arnie" reissue for £315, if analogue-digital is acceptable. Plastic shroud, but hell, Schwarzenegger points, right?

There are SNE-series "Solar Tunas" available too - e.g. https://amjwatches.co.uk/seiko-prospex- ... 543p1.html
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I looked at them too. I don't like the military-ness of them, there's the 498 and 499 options as well. Would probably have gone for the 498 if the fake gold had been steel/silver coloured, but I just can't get on with it as it is and don't fancy modding it.
---
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

And on Tunas more generally, I managed to snag a nice Darth on eBay of all places, a bit of a punt but the price was sensible and the only issue was a mangled pair of screws where someone had tried to remove the shroud. I ended up having to dremel a slot into each chewed screw head, so I could use a proper screwdriver to extract them. Four nice tidy replacement screws were £30 from Seiko UK, and arrived the next day. So I now have a super-tidy SBBN025 complete with Kanji day-wheel and papers from Yodobashi Camera in Osaka. Which is nice.

Oddly for a 50+mm watch it wears beautifully, and it's a total strap whore.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That's lovely. I'll give you 25 bags of revels for it!
---
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 am That's lovely. I'll give you 25 bags of revels for it!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

PreacherCain wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:40 am
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 am That's lovely. I'll give you 25 bags of revels for it!
27.5 (I'll remove the coffee flavoured ones from the last bag).
---
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

The lume is spectacular, too - the Planet Ocean isn't exactly under-lumed, but Darth literally lights up the room.

It doesn't dance while it walks though.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That's quite bright!
---
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The Kinetic Tuna has some good lume on it too - photo taken on my desk just now after exposing it to the sun for a couple of seconds:

Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:23 am Anybody have experience buying through Chronos24? There's a few for sale on there, but I don't know anything about the platform.
I've bought many watches on Chrono24 before, most from abroad, some watches into five figures (not bragging) and never had any issues. Make sure you check on the seller feedback as usual. Plus, Chrono24 protects the buyer, money held in their escrow and released when you receive the watch.
M235i