duncs500

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by duncs500 »

:P
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I bet that shark mesh doesn't taper either...
mik

Post by mik »

It doesn’t - it’s a chunky 22mm all the way round.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

GMT today. The bracelet tapers nicely :P.

M235i
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Alex_ wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:38 pm GMT today. The bracelet tapers nicely :P.

The taper does not make up for the fake rivets. HTH :lol:
John

Post by John »

Half price Alpina Startimer Pilot auto at TK Maxx https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/mens-early ... p/76349148
John

Post by John »

And the Seastrong auto diver too at less than half price https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/mens-early ... p/76349151
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

John wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:09 am And the Seastrong auto diver too at less than half price https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/mens-early ... p/76349151
There's something thoroughly wrong with the bezel alignment there - it appears to be a click out on the right but the top left looks aligned correctly :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:53 am
John wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:09 am And the Seastrong auto diver too at less than half price https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/mens-early ... p/76349151
There's something thoroughly wrong with the bezel alignment there - it appears to be a click out on the right but the top left looks aligned correctly :lol:
nah, it's all turned exactly 3 degrees...

Why you'd choose to take the photo with it turned is anyone's guess.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The top left one is a little off, but I expect that's just down to where the camera was positioned. Either way, shit photography rather than wrong watch imo.

mik

Post by mik »

Does make it look really odd. Not enough to stop it selling out though apparently - great price that was....
mik

Post by mik »

mik wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 am
Pete_ wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:27 am
mik wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:37 am @Pete_ I adjusted my son’s Spinnaker using the Hairspring app for guidance. Not a difficult process but small movements have a big effect! I can’t remember if I posted the info on here or evo.... :?

Edit: I mentioned it on P17 of this fred. No pics.
viewtopic.php?p=15869
Ah so you did! I should have listened to you back then. :lol:
This is your movement : let us know how you get on. 8-)

So - whilst very pleased with the condition of my new-second-hand Christmas Alpina, it didn’t take long to realise that it was running rather slow. Like 15 seconds slow per day. Now whilst 99.983% accuracy sounds pretty impressive, it’s a pain to lose nearly 2 minutes a week.

Performed regulation before on a much cheaper movement, so - let’s do it again.

It uses an “AL-525” mechanism, which is a modified Sellita SW200. YouTube was my friend.

To get to the main regulation adjustment requires removal of the auto-winding mechanism - namely the balance weight and gearset behind it. This level of disassembly sounded WAY less attractive (I don’t have a watch case holder or any of the gubbins to do this properly), but then I realised this is the main “coarse” adjust, and there is a separate “fine” adjust which is accessible as soon as you get the case back off. If there was enough adjustment remaining on this I might get away with tweaking that only.

Removed the case back, and the anti-mag protection plate. Fine adjust was visible but wow it’s tiny. My smallest jewellers screwdriver just fitted (if it hasn’t I would just have filed the tip a bit). As before I used my phone with the Apple headphones & mic, wrapped in cloth and popped in a glasses case, with the “Hairspring” app. This suggested it was running around 14.5secs slow so pretty much exactly my real-world experience.

As hoped - there was more that enough range on the fine adjust to bring it back. Tweak and check with Hairspring App. Repeat til satisfied. Cross fingers.

After 1 day it has gained less than a second. Extremely pleased with that. 8-)

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Excellent work.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I spotted a rather nice colour NATO-style strap on Bark & Jack’s YouTube channel the other day. Relatively sensibly priced (well, £24 so not really for a NATO, but it’s nice).

Anyway, the packaging is lovely. The outside envelope came with a wax seal, and there’s a handwritten note. If you’re spending £120 on a couple of bits of leather you’ll appreciate that.

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Should probably post a picture of it on the watch too... I’ve been looking for something just right for my Glacier Alpinist and the colour of this is bang on.

DaveE

Post by DaveE »

That combo looks ace Simon!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I’m not sure it’s obvious from the photos, but it’s not a standard NATO; it doesn’t have the extra loop so there’s only one thickness of fabric under the watch.
John

Post by John »

DaveE wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:19 pm That combo looks ace Simon!
Yep, they go together really well.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

B&J does the best natos imo, especially the nicely made keepers/hardware.

Sold a few watches this month, but also picked up a couple. First is a limited edition Grand Seiko for the Asian market. Luckily I managed to dodge a hefty import charge, seller declared the value of the watch a few hundred pounds. Pictures will never do the dial any justice, the 3D effect is stunning in real life.

Second is a fun piece from a Glasgow & Edinburgh based company called Paulin. The dial is hand-dye by a local artist and the watch is assembled by Anordain, a small independent watch company, also based in Glasgow, who makes lovely watches with enamel dials (still waiting for mines). The Neo B has a cheap Seiko movement, hence the £360 price after 10% discount. They don't make many and currently all Neos are out of stock. The dial is gorgeous with lots of nice little details:

Last edited by Alex_ on Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
M235i
mik

Post by mik »

Can’t see any of your images Alex.

(Barry)