The Watches Thread

GG.

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by GG. »

Haha - smallish I guess - 17cm circumference but the iPhone camera exaggerates in close up photos I think.

ETA just checked - 18cm is average. For someone 6foot tall and 100kg I guess I do have quite dainty wrists / ankles :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

The Chris Ward forum has regular “status of the collection” posts that I’ve never really paid much attention to as the idea of a big collection doesn’t appeal to me. Idly clicked on one last night :shock:

click

Culled from 153 down to 100 watches. I don’t know the total value, but I count 18 Omegas, plus Bell & Ross, Panerai etc. Some very nice watches there.

Always interesting to see how people spend their spare £s.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

mik wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:09 am The Chris Ward forum has regular “status of the collection” posts that I’ve never really paid much attention to as the idea of a big collection doesn’t appeal to me. Idly clicked on one last night :shock:
That's a really nice collection. I know a couple of guys who are massive Speedmaster fans, basically buying every single new Speedmaster release, plus other brands. I always joke with them that they couple build a house with their presentation boxes (Omega ones are bloody massive).

EDIT: didn't realise he's modded a new Speedys :shock:
M235i
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Alex_ wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:38 am EDIT: didn't realise he's modded a new Speedys :shock:
I think the black hands look much better than the original silver ones - legibility is often an issue with a light-coloured dial and silver hands.

Some lovely watches there, and I haven't got past the Omega box yet :lol:
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

That's such a man collection (of watches)

Find something you like, then buy one in every colour
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:48 pm Lovely, bargain hand-made leather straps here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/lawr389/m.ht ... pg=&_from= - I've got about a dozen now. The edges are unfinished so they're not 'formal' but they're made of really nice soft leather which looks great as it wears and are very comfy. Need to be a bit lucky to find the colour you're after.
Jobbo should get commission from these people!

Got this one delivered today.

I was surprised at how much larger it is than my other 20mm strap. I've got skinny wrists so it wears almost like a NATO on me with quite a lot of extra strap sticking up at the back, not necessarily bad but it took a bit of getting used to. The leather is really nice. Overall good value for money.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Pete_ wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:26 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:48 pm Lovely, bargain hand-made leather straps here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/lawr389/m.ht ... pg=&_from= - I've got about a dozen now. The edges are unfinished so they're not 'formal' but they're made of really nice soft leather which looks great as it wears and are very comfy. Need to be a bit lucky to find the colour you're after.

I was surprised at how much larger it is than my other 20mm strap. I've got skinny wrists so it wears almost like a NATO on me with quite a lot of extra strap sticking up at the back, not necessarily bad but it took a bit of getting used to. The leather is really nice. Overall good value for money.
Not wishing to be unkind but the strap is so wide it makes the watch look like a ladies size ☹️
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

McSwede wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:53 pm
Pete_ wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:26 pm

Not wishing to be unkind but the strap is so wide it makes the watch look like a ladies size ☹️
Thankfully my lady-like wrists make it still look manly in comparison :P
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Personally, I hate leather straps that don't taper towards the buckle. Also, Rolex not on its bracelet is DIW ;) .
M235i
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo owns 273 of these.

Pete buys ONE and gets a doin’ :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

😂
Pete, he’s cheap so I don’t think the commission could ever amount to much!

I’m fine with non-tapering on a handmade leather strap (maybe not 22mm+), but the Longines I’m wearing this week has a non-tapered bracelet. That offends me more.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

I also would have said before that hate straps that don't taper, but actually I think tapering would look odd on this one - the leather is very thick and tapering would exagerate that. It actually looks much better on the wrist than in that photo - if I could cut 1-2cm off the holes end then it would be great!

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think it looks cheap. It's clearly handmade but not in a good way as it looks roughly cut and fraying, the holes are messy, the decorative white string pattern is wonky. Sorry but I don't have much good to say about it!
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Stick to the machine handmade, so processed they feel like plastic, straps, Mito 😄
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Yeah for sure it's rough around the edges but I prefer it to the cardboard / fake leather factory made straps at this price point. A proper high quality strap is much better of course, and I'm not necessarily against paying almost £100 for a strap (the grey one was about that) but don't want to do that if I'm just experimenting with different colours.

I wonder how Duncs in getting on with his.
mik

Post by mik »

He’s not going to fucking tell us now. :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'll more likely get grief for the crap watch in this thread!

Against my better judgement:

Ps. On wrist posts without a hand look freaky to me, hence I've included a hand for perspective. :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Nobody gets grief for a Seiko 8-)

ETA: I thought all Sporturas had non-standard lugs (odd numbers of mm widths, or more integrated type bracelets and straps) but your strap seems to fit well.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

It's a bit more snug than the original strap, but yeah, fits fine.
mik

Post by mik »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:01 am

Ps. On wrist posts without a hand look freaky to me, hence I've included a hand for perspective. :lol:
I think you may have a point there Duncs....