The Watches Thread

mik

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by mik »

Ooh - that’s the start Duncs 😎 - although you could have got one with more than 1 hand. 🤔
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:-D It's small even compared to my Seiko so that takes a little getting used to, but I like the look. I don't even mind the cheap strap it came with, it's surprisingly comfy.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I've done it again! :)

A week or so ago, I happened upon a lovely looking 36mm Rolex OP Datejust (I always look in jewellers' windows, just to see if they have anything interesting)

I tried it on and loved - actually seriously considering buying it, but in the end, I was being silly - it's far too much money for me to sink into a watch, even if technically I could have afforded too.

At about this time I also started to wear my small Omega Seamaster again (it's been fully serviced recently), and I realised how nice it is to wear smaller watches again (i.e. <40mm)

And then I started to read about a new, 36mm San Martin ltd edition that was coming out. I've not had a SM before, but I've seen and read great things about them, so I thought I'd take a punt on it.

It was more expensive than the other Chinese watches I've bought over the last year or so, coming in about £180, but it's in a different league. It uses a PT5000 movement, which is a clone of the (now out of copyright) ETA 2824, and SM adjusts and regulates each one before they go out - so they're very accurate.

I am really impressed with this one - the finishing and details are superb. No, it's not quite Rolex quality, but it's superb for the money, and way better than some £500 "high street" watches I've seen.

Everything is so nicely made, with great details (like female end links, so the watch sits on smaller wrists so well, the new design on the signed crown and clasp), build and finishing (the bracelet, clasp etc) and things like really good lume (something that cheaper watches always scrimp on)

But most of all, it's not trying too hard.

mik

Post by mik »

I’d probably think it was a bit small if I saw it in the metal, but I quite like that. Elegant and - as you say - not trying too hard.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

It's a lovely design as it's identical to a 36mm Oyster Perpetual !
mik

Post by mik »

Case is certainly very similar. I prefer the dial markings & hands on Dave’s.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Carlos wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:32 pm It's a lovely design as it's identical to a 36mm Oyster Perpetual !
The case of mine is a pretty generic "Rolex steel watch" case...

But other then the case, it's actually a hybrid of a Submariner (the Mercedes hand set) and a Tudor BB 36mm (the dial)

OP has different hands and different markers on the dial:

Tudor BB 36mm (same dial as mine, but has the "snowflake" handsets):

Submariner (Mercedes handset):

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Out for a beer with the FiL today and he's been watch shopping again. Seems to have a thing for Rolex and his purchase history gets him access to decent stuff apparently.

Today he was sporting a ROLEX GMT-MASTER II 126711CHNR ROOT BEER.

Bloody lovely to look at. The colours are great and look loads better in the flesh than photos. For me though it's far too small at 40mm.

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The new root beer is lovely. I don’t think I’d actually buy one over a Pepsi or Batman were I looking for a GMT Master but it’s a classy choice.

But the Yachtmaster in Everose and steel is available with either a black or chocolate face. I’d love to see the GMT root beer with a similar brown face.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:51 pm The new root beer is lovely. I don’t think I’d actually buy one over a Pepsi or Batman were I looking for a GMT Master but it’s a classy choice.

But the Yachtmaster in Everose and steel is available with either a black or chocolate face. I’d love to see the GMT root beer with a similar brown face.
It really looked and felt lovely but did it feel worth the apparent price?? Did it buggery. The price just seems to be silly. I really don't get it but for sure he'll make money on it if he ever sold it.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I bought myself a cheap Pagani Design knock-off of the Rootbear a while ago

It's quite good fun for about £50 😂
mik

Post by mik »

McSwede wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:22 pm
Jobbo wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:51 pm The new root beer is lovely. I don’t think I’d actually buy one over a Pepsi or Batman were I looking for a GMT Master but it’s a classy choice.

It really looked and felt lovely but did it feel worth the apparent price?? Did it buggery. The price just seems to be silly. I really don't get it but for sure he'll make money on it if he ever sold it.
It does very little for me tbh. I like watches, but I can’t desire many of the £pricey ones. Most feel a bit Spyker. :?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The one I would really like is a Rhodium dial Yachtmaster 40. But I vaulted at the price 3 years ago when I tried one on in Hawaii (about £8k at the exchange rate then). I guess I should have bought one because RRP here is about £9.5k and they go for overs despite being less popular than most sport Rolexes. I simply don’t think I’d wear it either; it feels too ostentatious.
John

Post by John »

I rarely wear my GMT as every scrote and his dog knows the value of them, shame really. When I bought mine there was still a waiting list but they were obtainable. Used ones were only selling for just above list too. I ended up with two as I was on the list at two different ADs and both contacted me the same week, I think I made £700 on the one that I didn't keep.

Edited to add - I didn't realise I'd already posted this pic although in my defence it was three and a half years ago :oops:
Last edited by John on Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

I fairly often see a Root Beer in the window of a pre-owned watch dealer near me, looks really nice but not something I'd actually want to wear.

I tried on a couple of IWCs when their roadshow was in London a couple of weeks ago. The Spitfire is the IWC that I most liked from internet pictures, and I really liked it in person as well, although not keen on their leather backed NATO strap which was super thick. It does seem a bit of a one trick pony watch though, great at being a vintage pilot style watch but I think I'd want something more versatile or other watches in addition after a while. I also tried one of the ceramic Top Guns. I've never liked the look of ceramic watches in pictures but it looked much better in person. This one was 41mm but the black case made it appear smaller on the wrist (both look too big for me in the photos but watches always look bigger in photos than real life), certainly it didn't feel bigger that the 39mm Spitfire.

Last weekend I visited the Science Museum, the highlight for me was seeing the Smiths that Edmund Hillary wore summiting Mount Everest. No mention of the Rolex which may or may not have been on his other wrist / backpack / left behind at base camp! I had a look at the Timefactors website to see if they do a replica of this model, doesn't seem like they do one that looks just like this, there's one with a very similar dial but in a bubble / squared off case.
This was as part of the London clock and watchmakers exhibition, it was mostly clocks and pocket watches but there were a few Roger Smith watches there which were cool to see, although not really my sort of thing and it's hard to appreciate the watchmaking behind it when it's in a glass case with very little information provided.

These vintage style watches have inspired me to get another new strap for the Explorer. It's waxed canvas, won't be to everyone's taste but I think it looks great!

Bonus pic of the Explorer on holiday in Croatia last month.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Most people take a photo of their wife/gf/kids on holiday - hope your watch enjoyed the trip.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Rich B wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:34 am Most people take a photo of their wife/gf/kids on holiday - hope your watch enjoyed the trip.
😂
Cheers,

Ian
John

Post by John »

It's better than the usual cringey steering wheel background (not from Pete) :)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

John wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:45 pm It's better than the usual cringey steering wheel background (not from Pete) :)
Didn’t realise this was a thing :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
John

Post by John »

:shock: