The Watches Thread

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Jobbo »

Now the Apple Watch 5 has an always-on face to tell the time I can see it being much better, but it’s still not as nice a piece of jewellery as a proper watch; and who really wants notifications of texts etc on their wrist? Younger people have effectively replaced watches with actual phones, not limited functionality versions on their wrists.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It just so practical as a device that once you get used to it you can’t really live without it. It also adds functionality to your phone. Don’t want to bleat on about it, if you’ve used it and like it you’ll probably be a convert.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I had an original Apple Watch so I know exactly what they’re like. It’s a different thing; I don’t see how an electronic device which needs charging every day and gets replaced each year can compete with the longevity of an automatic.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I don't need or want further smartphone distractions and however useful smart watches are, they fail the first test for me: they're not objects of desire or aspirational. There is nothing in their design that makes me appreciate the level of craftsmanship that's gone into them. They're essentially a white good item.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

IanF wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:01 pm Anyone put a rubber strap-on their watch? If so, has it worked better than a leather strap?
I put my Oris Regulateur Der Meistertaucher (49mm) onto it rubber strap yesterday. Not necessarily because I like it more, but just for a change. The titanium polished/Matt strap is lovely!

It's my daily so could do with some tlc and a service really.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I like that a lot.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dan

Post by dan »

I've got two automatic watches and only wear an apple watch, you are allowed to have both without feeling the need to make the point that anyone who disagrees with you is a fucking idiot. The internet is weird these days isn't it.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Love the case and bracelet of that Oris. I've looked seriously at getting an Aquis many times, but because I have such a habit/fetish for changing straps, I've been reluctant due to the non-standard lug spacing. On the original bracelet and rubber strap, it looks fantastic, so it's a bit of a shame that straps have become so standard.

ETA: Dan, you're an idiot. Surely when you're welding you need to wear a Rolex?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:16 am I've got two automatic watches and only wear an apple watch, you are allowed to have both without feeling the need to make the point that anyone who disagrees with you is a fucking idiot. The internet is weird these days isn't it.
Should have got an Android smartwatch you fucking noob :lol: :lol: :lol:
dan

Post by dan »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:16 am Love the case and bracelet of that Oris. I've looked seriously at getting an Aquis many times, but because I have such a habit/fetish for changing straps, I've been reluctant due to the non-standard lug spacing. On the original bracelet and rubber strap, it looks fantastic, so it's a bit of a shame that straps have become so standard.

ETA: Dan, you're an idiot. Surely when you're welding you need to wear a Rolex?
Funny you should mention that, I once managed to fuse a perfectly round lump of hot weld to the crown of my omega speedmaster, it must have jumped off the piece of work whist red hot and stuck itself to the watch. It was so perfect I didn't notice it for days.

That was an expensive service.
dan

Post by dan »

I got the apple watch 3 when I heard they did a saphire crystal version. I stopped wearing watches to work when I started working on cars for a living but missed having one on. I thought i'd give the apple watch a try to see if it would last and by jove it has, i've worn it daily for two years and its been battered to fuck but the screen is still great.

The fitness functionality it has is really excellent, I particularly like being able to monitor my heart rate when i'm cycling. Of course the fitness aspect is redundant for most of you fat IT bods.

I charge it every morning while i'm in the shower, its not exactly a hardship.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m still on the original and the battery still lasts all day,
Sometimes I get the 10% warning if it’s been measuring my heart rate a lot so that makes it over 4 years old. Plus I wear it in the shower and frequently dunk my hand into buckets of water when washing cars so it’s waterproof beyond what Apple said. My sapphire screen still hasn’t got a scratch on it either.

It’s like everything new, infinitely better in almost every aspect but mass produced and doesn’t have soul. But you still use it because it is crucially immeasurably better.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:27 am It’s like everything new, infinitely better in almost every aspect but mass produced and doesn’t have soul. But you still use it because it is crucially immeasurably better.
It's like everything technological - replaced every year and has little to no second hand value after a few years.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:34 am
Mito Man wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:27 am It’s like everything new, infinitely better in almost every aspect but mass produced and doesn’t have soul. But you still use it because it is crucially immeasurably better.
It's like everything technological - replaced every year and has little to no second hand value after a few years.
So why don’t start buying classic cars instead?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Why don't you lease your watch?
mik

Post by mik »

You people with your fancy battery powered electronical watches.... we'll be watching you.

People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is how the display now shows all the time, how they don't tick annoyingly, how they don't (generally) require servicing, and fairy tales of actually holding accurate time. How dare you!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I'm not entirely the second hand value argument works. I bought this watch for £500 4 years ago, it is now worthless.

Had I bought something automatic for say £3000, to maintain its value I imagine I would have to have it serviced by the dealership which would be £500? Then if I'm lucky and its still worth what it was when new I'd lose £500, or maybe there's the minuscule chance that it's worth over £3500 which is unlikely.

And that's before you take into account that this is the internet where everyone is a stock market genius and would invest the £2500 they had saved by buying an Apple Watch on the perfect stocks and make a 3000% gain in 4 years ;)
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:16 pm
IanF wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:01 pm Anyone put a rubber strap-on their watch? If so, has it worked better than a leather strap?
I have a couple of Seikos with silicone rubber straps; you have to like how they feel because they don’t move around on your wrist and they do pick up lint. Some watches just work visually with them, of course.
I've only ever had a rubber strap on my Seiko. Needed to replace it because the original had rubber bits* that hold the strap in, and one broke, replaced with one that had metal bits. Almost identical looking to the original https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver-pr ... atch-strap and lasting well.

Can post a pic if you really want.

edit: *keepers, that's the word I was thinking of.
Left over crest; tightens.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:02 am I'm not entirely the second hand value argument works. I bought this watch for £500 4 years ago, it is now worthless.

Had I bought something automatic for say £3000, to maintain its value I imagine I would have to have it serviced by the dealership which would be £500? Then if I'm lucky and its still worth what it was when new I'd lose £500, or maybe there's the minuscule chance that it's worth over £3500 which is unlikely.

And that's before you take into account that this is the internet where everyone is a stock market genius and would invest the £2500 they had saved by buying an Apple Watch on the perfect stocks and make a 3000% gain in 4 years ;)
I'd just buy something automatic for £500, or £150. Little or no servicing required. Can't see myself spending more than that on a watch ever.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:02 am I'm not entirely the second hand value argument works. I bought this watch for £500 4 years ago, it is now worthless.

Or buy your Rolex at list price, sell it after 5 years without having serviced it and make a grand or two profit.