The Watches Thread

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:03 pm And yet still post in this thread 😂

(I agree tbh - utter scam)
i didn’t realise this was a thread exclusively for mechanical watches?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

What watches do you enjoy talking about then Rich?
GG.

Post by GG. »

This one? :D

JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yes maybe :lol:

All good - I'll just wait for Rich to requote his other posts from this 26-page thread that aren't just 'I don't get it' stuff like i do in other threads about things I also don't like :D
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

For something simpler I bought the eldest a Swatch Flik-Flak for his sixth birthday in August. £42 delivered and that included embroidering his name on the strap.

I'm quite impressed with it and he loves it. It is plastic, waterproof, washing machine safe and seems quite sturdy. Only issue is the paint on the crown isn't very durable. He accidentally scraped it against a wall and the 30 was completely wiped off. But he feels cool and is getting much better at telling time.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Careful Alex - I'm not sure if this is the Swatch thread or not. We'll find out soon enough 😂
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Anybody have a problem with a present for a child better swatch themselves or I'll come clocking for them. Time to get serious...
---
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Paging PunMasterMik :D
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I wear a Swatch Sistem 51 more often than anything else . I think they're cool.
mik

Post by mik »

(@ JL)

I didn’t realise I held that crown?

I’ll spring into action and get on the case before everyone else has escarpment-ed ;)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

For JL!
Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:38 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:46 am I’m not fussed about expensive watches (not saying anyone else is wrong for liking them), I don’t really get the point of a watch that costs thousands and have no interest in what movement they have. I quite like russian and military style watches and I currently have Vostok Europe Anchar (that I like but just annoys me because it dies if I don’t wear it for a day or so (kinetic)).

So I bought a cheap quartz watch for daily wear the other day that I’m waiting for. This time German pilot style. Astroavia N57s.

i noticed today that my cheap daily watch is basically a copy of an IWC Pilot watch...! I’m happy though, I prefer mine!

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

But is the crown still on? 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I remember you posting that. Looks nice.
---
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:33 pm For JL!
Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:38 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:46 am I’m not fussed about expensive watches (not saying anyone else is wrong for liking them), I don’t really get the point of a watch that costs thousands and have no interest in what movement they have. I quite like russian and military style watches and I currently have Vostok Europe Anchar (that I like but just annoys me because it dies if I don’t wear it for a day or so (kinetic)).

So I bought a cheap quartz watch for daily wear the other day that I’m waiting for. This time German pilot style. Astroavia N57s.

i noticed today that my cheap daily watch is basically a copy of an IWC Pilot watch...! I’m happy though, I prefer mine!

OK fair enough 👍🏼😂
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

mik wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:29 pm (@ JL)

I didn’t realise I held that crown?

I’ll spring into action and get on the case before everyone else has escarpment-ed ;)
Top work 👍🏼
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:35 pm But is the crown still on? 😂
yep, Unsurprisingly all in one piece - worn daily without servicing/winding and keeping perfect time. All for about 15% of the cost of an IWC service. 😉
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Anyone put a rubber strap-on their watch? If so, has it worked better than a leather strap?
Cheers,

Ian
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:36 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:25 pm Love the Longines, GG. My father has his father’s vintage Longines Conquest, and Longines always seemed to sponsor motorsports in the 80s, so dad bought me a Longines for my 40th. But sadly not one I like as much; I think I’ll get a Heritage Conquest one day.

Anyway, stick it on a NATO 😃
Love that seamaster too - didn't realise you had one (you have a Tudor Black Bay right or did I make that up?). Have more commonly seen them with a blue dial and much prefer yours.
I sold the Black Bay - never wore it because I missed the date. It’s gone up about a grand in value since I got rid, of course 😄 The Seamaster I got at a very good price so I’d never lose if I sold it but I like it far more than I expected to.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

IanF wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:01 pm Anyone put a rubber strap-on their watch? If so, has it worked better than a leather strap?
I have a couple of Seikos with silicone rubber straps; you have to like how they feel because they don’t move around on your wrist and they do pick up lint. Some watches just work visually with them, of course.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I must say smart watches have ruined mechanical watches for me, once you get used to all their additional functions and integration it’s pretty difficult to go back.
How about not having a sig at all?