The Watches Thread

mik

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by mik »

Pete_ wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:38 am Lockdown makes me want to go out exploring ;)
That is a nice pic.

And I’m not saying it would be worth of @WankersWatch, but..... ;)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:59 am Any of you guys ever sold your watches for a profit? (I imagine there's a few quick flip type transactions, but anyone had a watch for a while and sold it?
I have sold a few watches and not made any significant loss - the ones on which I'd make a profit are the ones I'm keeping though. I like them.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:36 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:59 am Any of you guys ever sold your watches for a profit? (I imagine there's a few quick flip type transactions, but anyone had a watch for a while and sold it?
I have sold a few watches and not made any significant loss - the ones on which I'd make a profit are the ones I'm keeping though. I like them.
Have you got example of the ones that are in profit? It would be interesting to see watches that sell for more than their RRP second hand (no pun intended).
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Rich B wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:10 pm
Have you got example of the ones that are in profit? It would be interesting to see watches that sell for more than their RRP second hand (no pun intended).
Speaking of which, I saw this recently:

Only one of those Rolexes isn't worth more on the second hand market.

Full article here: https://timeandtidewatches.com/rolex-re ... econdhand/

I also saw something that said Subs are now on average +80% of retail on the second hand market...
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Pete: nice shot and the Explorer 1 is a fantastic piece.

Mik: I've got a spreadsheet of watches I've bought the last two and a bit years and it's over 50! :oops:

Watches I've made the biggest profit:
* Rolex Submariner 116610LN (now previous gen). Wished I kept it a bit longer due to the current craze. Made 500 quid at the time.
* Rolex Sea-dweller 126600. Wasn't special enough for a 50th anniversary piece. Made around £2k.
* Countless Speedmaster limited editions. Profit around £500 - £1000. Wished I didn't pass up on the Silver Snoopy when I could have bought one at a boutique. At the time, they were £5k. Now, an unworn one is close at £40k!
* Recently got three G-Shock Bamfords limited editions and sold them all for a profit at least £150. I was gonna keep one but at the end of the day, it's just a plastic watch and they aren't worth £300+. You can get a standard one for 90 quid.

The watch I would make the biggest profit on would be my GMT Master II that I bought just over ten years ago. I paid £4k, current market value is around £8-10k. I would never sell it though. Of course, I've made losses on many watches I've sold, so it all evens out.
M235i
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:10 pm
I didn't buy at RRP, and don't have any Rolexes anyway, but here are a few:
Seiko SARB017: bought new for £200, now selling for around £450 used: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-Alpini ... 4217737088
Omega Seamaster ceramic: bought nearly new for £1500, sells for somewhere over £2k (dealers ask up to £2950): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Seamas ... 3626543597
new Seiko Alpinist limited edition arriving this week: bought for £800 new, selling for over £1000: https://www.chrono24.co.uk/seiko/seiko- ... 157540.htm
Seiko Monster 'Dracula': bought new for about £150, selling for £400+: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-SRP313 ... 4507558316

The one I should have kept was my Tudor Heritage Black Bay (ETA movement, black bezel) which I paid about £2100 for new, sold for £2000 to part-fund my wedding, and now goes for £2.5k even in slightly shabby condition and more like £3k in a pristine state: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tudor-Black- ... 3762519145
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

I bought my Submariner about 3 years ago when the retail was £5,700, and have noticed the manufacturer created 'shortage' affect pre-owned prices. It saddens my slightly as it does make me think more about wearing it (which I do about 5 days a week). I like to fondly imagine people assume it's a fake and not worth stabbing me for. :shock:

The other two days a week see me in a Bremont or my Victorinox quartz when I'm mucking about.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I would have worn the fancy Submariner for the 2 days a week mucking about on the bowling green - you won’t get stabbed there ;)
How about not having a sig at all?
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:14 pm I would have worn the fancy Submariner for the 2 days a week mucking about on the bowling green - you won’t get stabbed there ;)
I certainly don’t fancy getting stabbed in the bowling green! :shock:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

My limited edition Alpinist has arrived:

I love the coolness of the colour and silver indices, though I hadn't appreciated that the gold on green is more legible from many angles. The strap is a couple of orders of magnitude nicer than the crap mock-croc which came on the old model; mine has never even been worn because I replaced it the day I got the watch. The new one has a rather nice deployant, though Seiko insist on fitting it upside down, so I've swapped the strap round and will live with the logo on the buckle being upside down. There's also a second strap with this limited edition, and there's a second deployant on that strap which means I can re-purpose it for another watch :)

Mine is number 1625 out of 2020. I imagine all the low numbers were in the continental release last month.
mik

Post by mik »

If anyone has an interest in any Chris Ward watches at the moment - they have a “15% off everything” * Black Friday sale coming up. In fairness to them, I don’t just want to post the code up publicly, so PM me if interested (or if you just want a chat eh?)

* ltd edit blue C60 is the only thing not included in this

Edit: and I just noticed that they just released a “deep blue” version of their new SuperCompressor (today?). Even has the text properly centred (unlike the first release which has caused much upset). Very nice. (I can’t get a pic to work - click the link)
Last edited by mik on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Has anyone else seen the Bremont Stephen Hawking? https://www.ablogtowatch.com/bremont-re ... n-watches/

I've seen people elsewhere say they genuinely expected it to contain pieces of his wheelchair. Adding irrelevant materials to watches because of some tenuous connection is simply ridiculous.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Rather ridiculous and a waste of time and money:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/1 ... ller-sold/
M235i
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I can't read the whole article, but wtf was he thinking? Someone gave some very bad advice if it got as far as court.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I hear he's suing Lin Manuel Miranda in court next month.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:40 am I can't read the whole article, but wtf was he thinking? Someone gave some very bad advice if it got as far as court.
All of those things. It’s shit like this that confirms to me that - impressive and capable driver though he is - he’s a nob.

Hanilt0wn3d. (c) @Maurice
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Tourbillown3d.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:40 am I can't read the whole article, but wtf was he thinking? Someone gave some very bad advice if it got as far as court.
It's happened before (although in this case, I think the Cheque Book was brought out)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-38877658

People like Hamilton can survive the total perspective vortex so it's no wonder it got to court. I can imagine "I DON'T CARE" being said a lot during his legal briefings...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:12 pm
It's happened before (although in this case, I think the Cheque Book was brought out)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-38877658

People like Hamilton can survive the total perspective vortex so it's no wonder it got to court. I can imagine "I DON'T CARE" being said a lot during his legal briefings...
"They noted Minogue was an "internationally renowned performing artist, humanitarian and breast cancer activist" who already owns Kylie-related trademarks in the US in several industries, as well as the website www.kylie.com.
Jenner, on the other hand, was dismissed as a "secondary reality television personality" who had drawn criticism for her "photographic exhibitionism and controversial posts" on social media."

Oooooh! Cutting! 😂
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Very cutting

Especially all that Hamilton does is drive around and round in circles 😉