The Watches Thread

GG.

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by GG. »

speedingfine wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:29 pm
Libera Te Tutemet Ex Inferis!
:D

That would give me flashbacks to that medical bay scene every time I looked at it :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:23 pm Nice colour match of the highlights there. Is the Robby a waterproof strap?
Apparently yes - despite the outer being calf leather.

SPECIFICATION
Upper Layer: Perforated Italian Calfskin
Lower Layer: Premium Caoutchouc (natural rubber)
Water resistance: Water resistant (300m)

There is also the Ayrton - carbon embossed leather instead, and with black stitching the colour highlight is turned down a few notches.

Last edited by mik on Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

GG. wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:36 pm
speedingfine wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:29 pm
Libera Te Tutemet Ex Inferis!
:D

That would give me flashbacks to that medical bay scene every time I looked at it :lol:
It's a film I've seen loads of times but still gives me the willies
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:46 pm Thanks for bumping this thread. It's reminded me there's a limited edition Seiko Alpinist which goes on sale tomorrow in the UK which I'm very tempted by.
Turns out I was one of the lucky ones - I got my order in with a nice watch dealer in Glasgow as soon as I reached the office. They called to confirm it would be sent out early next week and said they'd sold out already. Not the place I bought it from, this one has more pictures: https://www.watcho.co.uk/watches/seiko/ ... -spb199j1/

Now I baulked a bit at £800 for an Alpinist when I already have a green-faced SARB017 version which I paid £200 for. They now go for about £500 on the used market, and the blue limited edition which was only really release in the US last year and sold out in minutes goes for well over £1000. There was a European release of the new glacier one in October and the two on Chrono24 are also well over £1000. So I rationalised the price because it'll be worth more than I paid... but it's to wear. I don't think I'll sell the green one but I might.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

It's a lovely watch Simon, but something still sticks for me in paying £800 for a Seiko.

In the same way I'd find it hard to spend £1000s on a Grand Seiko vs (say) a boring old Rolex.

Which in no way to say these aren't great watches, just a mental block I have.

Chris Harris touched on this in his interview on YT with Remove Before Race - in his head a 911 is an £80k car still - I think I suffer from that a bit with watches.

My Omega Seamaster was just over a grand when I bought it (over 15 years ago now) - and I have a mental model that links that kind of watch with "costs about a grand"
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

mik wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:09 pm

Looks much better on the new strap 8-)
GG.

Post by GG. »

DaveE wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:01 pm It's a lovely watch Simon, but something still sticks for me in paying £800 for a Seiko.

In the same way I'd find it hard to spend £1000s on a Grand Seiko vs (say) a boring old Rolex.

Chris Harris touched on this in his interview on YT with Remove Before Race - in his head a 911 is an £80k car still - I think I suffer from that a bit with watches.

My Omega Seamaster was just over a grand when I bought it (over 15 years ago now) - and I have a mental model that links that kind of watch with "costs about a grand"
Cheapest Seamaster now seems to be £4,000!
mik

Post by mik »

Cheers [mention]Pete_[/mention] :)

This literally just arrived from Germany. It is in exceptional condition (the seller owns tens of watches so it has not been heavily worn).

Very please with it - lovely mix of brushed surfaces and polished edges. Really “glints” in the light, and as hoped - the 52mm lug width means it wears very neatly despite the 44mm diameter. 8-)

Pictured beside the 42mm C1000 for comparison - cos I was wearing it when the man from DHL arrived.

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

DaveE wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:01 pm It's a lovely watch Simon, but something still sticks for me in paying £800 for a Seiko.

I agree - same with 911s, Rolexes etc. And £800 is a lot for a watch which I already have in a different colour that I paid a quarter as much for. But it really is one of my favourite watches, always has been, and this colour is just gorgeous. Add to that the fact it'd sell for more than I paid, it's a risk-free purchase.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

mik wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:17 pm (the seller owns tens of watches so it has not been heavily worn).
How many are you at now? :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Pete_ wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:31 pm
mik wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:17 pm (the seller owns tens of watches so it has not been heavily worn).
Only 3 for me (OK 5 if you count those below in brackets)

- Chris Ward C11 MSL
- Chris Ward C1000CE
- Alpina Alpiner 4
- (ceramic quartz Skagen used when working on the car etc - very slim and light)
- (quartz Jorg Gray evo mag edition - can’t remember when I last wore it)
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

mik wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:52 pm
Pete_ wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:31 pm
Only 3 for me (OK 5 if you count those below in brackets)

- Chris Ward C11 MSL
- Chris Ward C1000CE
- Alpina Alpiner 4
- (ceramic quartz Skagen used when working on the car etc - very slim and light)
- (quartz Jorg Gray evo mag edition - can’t remember when I last wore it)
For some reason I thought you had a lot more than that!
mik

Post by mik »

You’re probably thinking of [mention]Alex_[/mention] - he owns about 873 now (approx).
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

[mention]Jobbo[/mention]

"Add to that the fact it'd sell for more than I paid, it's a risk-free purchase."

Yeah, I saw that a lot too.

And what I say it, it's true.

Except I never actually sell anything! :)

Ultimately though, we know we don't have to justify these things.

We have them because we want them, and can afford them. So why not eh?

If it brings us pleasure, that's good enough.

Since I last mentioned it, I've bought a few more of these cheap Pagani Designs watches. They're incredible value for money, and I like that I can swap a change what I'm wearing - sometimes several times a day.

Think I'll shift a few on now though.

Current watch-want is the Bamford G-Shock...
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

DaveE wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:43 pm "Add to that the fact it'd sell for more than I paid, it's a risk-free purchase."

Yeah, I saw that a lot too.
It's up to the watch manufacturers to keep supply and demand just right so this remains the case - if it wasn't true then I can imagine plenty of people deciding against buying. Even if, like you and I, we never really sell them :lol:
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Lockdown makes me want to go out exploring ;)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Any of you guys ever sold your watches for a profit? (I imagine there's a few quick flip type transactions, but anyone had a watch for a while and sold it?
mik

Post by mik »

Not me, but then I am working at the lower end of the scale where this doesn’t regularly happen.

Chris Ward C11 list £550 paid £450
Chris Ward C1000 list £1000 paid £475
Alpina Alpiner4 list £1150 paid £450 (2nd hand)
John

Post by John »

Not a long term ownership but I ended up owning a pair of Rolex BLNR due to being on the waiting list at two jewellers. This was before the prices went bonkers on them and I sold it for £700 profit. Long term I sold an Omega Speedmaster for a couple of hundred more than I paid.
John

Post by John »

Nice photo Pete.