The Watches Thread

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Jobbo »

Probably still going to get one; the grey, I think. I already have the green one and the blue doesn’t look quite as nice as the Hodinkee limited edition.
John

Post by John »

This looks a good price, Hamilton auto at TK Maxx online £299

https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/mens-early ... p/76139910
John

Post by John »

Another new arrival, a Time Factors baby Dreadnought. I'd always been a huge fan of the original Dreadnought but at 49mm including the crown it was just too big for my wrist. This just released version has a 37.4mm bezel and is 41mm including the crown so much more sensible for me.

https://www.timefactors.com/dreadnought.htm
mik

Post by mik »

CW released a new C65 super-compressor dive watch today.

Looks like they have finally listened to the 105% negative feedback around the 9-o’clock logo position.

Not that I am planning to buy one.

https://www.christopherward.com/retro-d ... B0-TB.html

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I like that. And the internal rotating bezel.
Left over crest; tightens.
John

Post by John »

Interesting watch. Massive improvement with the new logo position.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Got a Timex Waterbury for my birthday. It's a big bugger, but very happy with it :) I have set the date correctly now btw ;)

mik

Post by mik »

That looks huge, but a quick google suggests it is “only” 42mm - which is the same as both of my watches.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Brought my Seiko 5 on holiday and it's not thanking me for it. Since I took this picture almost all of the black ink on the bezel numerals was worn off my the salt water. I scraped off what was left myself to make it consistent and will leave it that way for now. Also it's running about 3+ minutes a day fast, it was doing this before which is the main reason why I'd replaced it but I'd forgotten how annoying it is. I read an article about how to regulate a Seiko movement and it looks easy enough (just moving a lever in the mechanism) so might get a case removal tool and try that.

Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

I bought an ugly watch for my birthday:

M235i
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]Pete_[/mention] I adjusted my son’s Spinnaker using the Hairspring app for guidance. Not a difficult process but small movements have a big effect! I can’t remember if I posted the info on here or evo.... :?

Edit: I mentioned it on P17 of this fred. No pics.
viewtopic.php?p=15869
Last edited by mik on Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:34 am I bought an ugly watch for my birthday:

This isn't the first time I've done this, when I see pictures of watches like that on the wrong wrist the first thing my brain thinks is: " :o what's up with that freaky wide arm."
mik

Post by mik »

You’re getting quite a collection Alex - what is the purpose of the crown at the 4pm position?
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

mik wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:42 am You’re getting quite a collection Alex - what is the purpose of the crown at the 4pm position?
I think it's mostly to stop the crown from digging into your wrist, which is an important feature for people back in the days who needed watches as an actual tool. So the P01 is based on a prototype from the 1960s when Tudor was asked to make a watch for the US Navy but the project got binned probably because the locking mechanism was too complicated to make. Hodinkee has a good article on it:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tudor ... 1-hands-on

When it was released last year, most people hated it (modern social media hysteria) but in person it looks a lot better (to my eyes anyway) and it's funky and different from a brand who makes very good but rather boring watches.
M235i
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:41 am This isn't the first time I've done this, when I see pictures of watches like that on the wrong wrist the first thing my brain thinks is: " :o what's up with that freaky wide arm."
It's the right wrist if you're a lefty :P
M235i
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

mik wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:37 am @Pete_ I adjusted my son’s Spinnaker using the Hairspring app for guidance. Not a difficult process but small movements have a big effect! I can’t remember if I posted the info on here or evo.... :?

viewtopic.php?p=15869
Ah so you did! I should have listened to you back then. :lol:

P01 is ugly but also cool 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:11 am
mik wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:42 am You’re getting quite a collection Alex - what is the purpose of the crown at the 4pm position?
I think it's mostly to stop the crown from digging into your wrist, which is an important feature for people back in the days who needed watches as an actual tool.

When it was released last year, most people hated it (modern social media hysteria) but in person it looks a lot better (to my eyes anyway) and it's funky and different from a brand who makes very good but rather boring watches.
I’d agree - most Tudor & Rolex do little for me as they as the designs are so long established... beautifully made, but little “wow”.

Like the bezel lock mech.

mik

Post by mik »

Pete_ wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:27 am
mik wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:37 am @Pete_ I adjusted my son’s Spinnaker using the Hairspring app for guidance. Not a difficult process but small movements have a big effect! I can’t remember if I posted the info on here or evo.... :?

viewtopic.php?p=15869
This is your movement : let us know how you get on. 8-)

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:11 am When it was released last year, most people hated it (modern social media hysteria) but in person it looks a lot better (to my eyes anyway) and it's funky and different from a brand who makes very good but rather boring watches.
It’s an interesting watch, that’s for sure. Still not convinced I’ll ever like the massive metal end links but I’m sure it’ll become collectible in future; polarising watches often do.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

mik wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 am
Pete_ wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:27 am

viewtopic.php?p=15869
This is your movement : let us know how you get on. 8-)

I tried to remove the case back by hand using some latex apparatus as a grip but it won't budge. The Jorg Gray caseback came right off using that method. So I might need to invest in a wrench.

Speaking of the Jorg Gray, I need to replace the battery on that, also need to put a new strap on as the original has worn out where the springbars go through. Although I doubt I'll get much more use out of that watch... the chrono start/stop button is getting sticky and it's too big for my taste these days anyway. But sad to see it at the back of my watch drawer looking unloved.

I also need a new strap for my digital Casio, the plastic bracelet snapped some time ago. I think I'll get a cheap NATO to go on it.