The Watches Thread

GG.

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by GG. »

Had a wander round watchfinder in the Royal Exchange today. Coming perilously close to upgrading my watch which I've been bottling for some time.

I'd ideally like a GMT function so the two top candidates at the moment are the Rolex Explorer II (Polar/white dial) and the Panerai Luminor GMT.

I like both pretty equally but a bit concerned the Panerai (although I think the dial is prettier) may be too big (44 v 42mm and deeper than the Rolex). Hmmm.

Pics below for reference:

mik

Post by mik »

I think the Pan is more interesting & leftfield, but I am not a fan of the big crown guards on some of their designs. I think you will find that alone accounts for the difference in size, so they probably look v similar on-the-(muscular)-wrist.

(I really don't like date magnifiers sticking proud on the crystal so I'd avoid that as a design element too - on both of those above. But I expect you are not buying either for me, so my opinion is worthless :) ).
Last edited by mik on Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Much as I always like the look of Panerai watches, I can't imagine wearing one. I'd rather have a GMT II than an Explorer II though. I don't like the bezel on the Explorer.

Do you just want a GMT or need one? I didn't even remember that I owned any GMT watches until Preacher posted pics of his Seiko; it's a function I don't use at all.

As for the cyclops, Mik, you have to have one with a date. It's just correct.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I know it's not what you want GG, but I'm a big fan of the Rolex BLNR GMT.

A friend got one recently and I think it looks so good on the wrist. Even better than in the pics.

GG.

Post by GG. »

Yeh I prefer the white dial on the Rolex for some reason which limits your choices - basically an Explorer or Daytona (which isn't going to happen).

Just found out that the Panny uses a Valjoux ebauche versus the Rolex's in house movement... Question is do I care that much given the Valjoux is still heavily modified and unique to that watch.
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

To be honest, I’d go with the watch you like best. I know that seems like some left-handed, Beany-worthy advice that isn’t advice, but it’s so easy to get snarled up in whether the movement is in-house, or the brand keeps its value, or other more tangential things. Fundamentally, you need to know you’ll enjoy seeing the thing on your wrist and like the way you feel when you wear it. It’s jewellery, after all!

As an aside, I’ve never been bothered by the whole ebauche-vs-manufacture thing: ebauches reflect the traditional Swiss approach to watchmaking (back in the day the Rolex you really wanted came in a lovely gold or steel case by Denison). The 7750 and its derivatives are well tested, reliable, robust, and can be mended and serviced by pretty much any competent watchmaker on earth. Sure, the Rolex movement is probably a better performer, but Valjoux have a lot going for them
John

Post by John »

If you do decide to go for the Explorer 2 and are looking to spend close to list price on a used Watchfinder example I'd have a word with an AD first as they do still occasionally appear in AD window displays. Even if not on display I think a good AD could get one in a couple of weeks.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

DO NOT buy from Watchfinder. Go on Chrono24, there are a few brand new Explorer 2s with stickers still on them for list price or a tiny bit less.
M235i
GG.

Post by GG. »

Thanks, chaps - don’t worry I’m not going to buy a nearly new explorer from watchfinder at a premium to list. They’re just 30 seconds from the office and have a great selection so easy to have a browse around. I rang a few places and it does seem like you’d be able to get hold of an explorer in a matter of weeks not months.

Preach is right - I tried both the Rolex and the Panerai and although the luminor is superficially more appealing to the eye, as soon as I put the explorer on it seemed to just ‘fit’ right and the quality of the bracelet is very impressive (lack of glide lock excluded).

I suppose the mental block is I first drooled over a luminor maybe 7-8 years ago in Hong Kong and have only really come around to the explorer recently. Just a long held interest that needs to give way to reality I guess!
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Something to keep in mind is that the Rolex will retain a lot more value than the Panerai should the time come to sell it for something newer.
M235i
mik

Post by mik »

Wasnt sure whether to put this in here or the motorbikerist thread.

Steveostraps have started making this : MANX STRAP

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Love the blue leather, hate the chains embedded in it.

Preacher, tell us about your Save The Ocean Samurai. I really like the Samurai case but it’s a bit big for my wrist - sure it fits you fine. And the Turtle version fits me perfectly so there was only one choice here.
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

I really like it, Simon - the dial is lovely, and much more reflective/iridescent than it looks in the stock photos. It's got a nice texture too, so a degree of three-dimensionality (sorry) which I wasn't expecting. The quality is what you'd expect, with nice clean lines - that interesting faceted case really "works", and the whole thing looks well-engineered and "Japanese" in some indefinable way to my eyes.

It wears much smaller than the dimensions suggest and the dark anodised crown and bezel on the Save the Ocean lighten the whole thing visually too. The only issue I have is that it weighs super-heavy on the (solid, chunky) bracelet so I have a CrafterBlue rubber dive strap on its way, which ought to make it a great proposition for the summer.

ImageUntitled by preachercain1, on Flickr

NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Now that I like.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

Well, then. I feel better.

;)

I also very much like the way there's a shared design language right the way from these machine-made, mass-produced el cheapo divers right up to the stuff turned out by hand by the Magical Grand Seiko Gnomes - faceted lugs, the way the case profile tapers to the wrist... Very nice indeed, and I honestly struggle to see how the quality can be bettered at the price point.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

That's a 👍🏼 from me too.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

You've made the graduated face look much more blue than in any other photos I've seen. I'm wearing my Turtle on a blue leather strap now from eBay seller lawr389: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/lawr389 - very highly recommended, and cheaper than many NATOs for a handmade, soft leather strap.

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

What if you break a spring bar??!!??!!??
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

It really is a very intense blue, SImon - it properly "pops" in sunlight. Dive strap has arrived and so far, I rather like it...

speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

PreacherCain wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:18 pm It really is a very intense blue, SImon - it properly "pops" in sunlight. Dive strap has arrived and so far, I rather like it...

Properly nice, especially on that strap. You can throw the other alarm clock in the bin now ;)