The Watches Thread

mik

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by mik »

tim wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:54 pm That’s a nice watch Rev.

I recently tried on a Tag Heuer Monaco and really didn’t want to take it off. Very tempted by that I must say.
Which flavour? There seems to be a few options now. I do like a Monaco, but I am too mean to stump up the asking.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Alex_ wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:40 pm It's been a good year for me:

Pictures don't do either of these watches justice.
What, getting your arms waxed? ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

John wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:28 pm
I quite like Tudor watches too and this seems a bit of a bargain at £1792 in the sales.

https://www.burrells.co.uk/collections/ ... strap-41mm
To me, as someone fairly uneducated on the matter, that looks like an AMAZING deal... You'd struggle to find a used one for less. The leather strap will be less desirable on the used market compared to a metal bracelet, but even so at that price it looks great to me.

Unfortunately they're not doing a sale on the Black Bay 36 which is the one I'm interested in, if they were offering 30% off those I'd snap one up.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I agree with Pete. These are the in-house movement models so even if there’s an update coming soon, it won’t alter much. I really dislike the riveted bracelet and the bronze model numerals don’t appeal, so the red bezel in leather is what I’d go for. Though I’d be more tempted to find a pristine used one with the ETA movement; it will be cheaper still on leather, is 1mm thinner and has the prettier curved text on the dial.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

It's not showing the price reduction on the Tudors for me any more. I wonder if it was on by mistake. If it looks too good to be true...
John

Post by John »

There were only two left in stock this morning so probably sold out.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

John wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:52 pm There were only two left in stock this morning so probably sold out.
It's still saying two left in stock though. And the Black Bay 41 with bracelet was on at £1550 or something like that this morning with five in stock, now at full retail price but still five in stock.
John

Post by John »

Dunno then but it was showing both full priced and sale versions earlier.

I'd added one to my basket yesterday but then decided I couldn't be bothered to drive three hours to collect a watch that I wasn't really looking for.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

After wanting a Black Bay 36 for the last three months, I went to a dealer to try one on today. I felt completely 'meh' about it! It's not a bad looking watch at all, but it felt kind of 'blocky' despite being a small watch - noticeably smaller than my 38mm Seiko 5 - the case just looked and felt like it could be on any fashion watch IMO. The dial was nice, I thought the 41mm version showed it off much better than the 36, but 41 wears a bit too big for my wrist.

The dealer didn't have any other watches that I'm interested in, but I've started looking at lots of videos of Oyster Perpetuals, particularly the green dial 114200 (although it's a small 34mm), 114270 Explorers, and Omega Railmasters.

Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

The OPs are great watches, especially the 39mm, probably the best bang for buck in the Rolex line-up. Even with the silliness of stainless steel Rolex sport models on the second hand market, ask for a discount if you are thinking of getting one.
M235i
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

My current want

Closest modern example to my 62 Seamaster.

Keeps popping up on my Facebook feed. Like it knows I’ve got some money coming... :shock: :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

$2.5mil for a watch that looks like it came free with a happy meal.

An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That's awful!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I get that it’s carved from a solid sapphire but it looks utterly shit.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

Reduce your security risk by buying £wodgers items nobody would want to steal.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

That Rolex that Pete shows is actually quite tasteful. I don't go in for those normally but it reminds me of the silver-faced Seiko my Grandfather gave me shortly before he died in the early 80s. And yes, I still have it, although haven't worn it in years.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Pete_ wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:10 pm My friend suggested to me the other day that my having a watch that gains 1.5 minutes per day isn't ideal and that I should get a new one. After being largely happy with my Seiko 5 for the last four years and not really wanting anything else, despite having some frustrations about my 5, this has opened up a wormhole for me where I've been thinking a lot about possible future watches.

It started with looking at other 5s, then SARBs, and then I found a comparison video between a SARB and a Maen Hudson 38 (and although I'm not normally into dive watches) I wanted one of those. They're not available right now but I've signed up to their email list. Then I saw a picture of a Tudor Black Bay 36 with a blue face and now I really really want one of those. 😣

I'll let it settle for a while to see if that lust goes away, but out of interest where would you guys suggest purchasing used Tudors from?

Any other suggestions for watches with a simple design, 36-38mm in size?
4 months ago I started searching for a Seiko 5 replacement and really struggled to find something that I liked. I got hung up on the BB36 for a long time, but in person it just didn't do anything for me. Last week evonomics came into play when I found a relatively good deal on what I've considered to me my dream watch since I first got into swatches in my mid teens. It arrived today and it just feels right. I always would have ended up with an Explorer anyway so I'm basically saving money by skipping out the intermediary watches, right? :lol:
John

Post by John »

Good choice, it's a classic.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

You can't go wrong with an explorer IMO

Especially so if you get some form of deal on it

Stone cold classic
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

That’s a nice watch. I’d really like a plum faced Oyster Perpetual but I realised when I had my Black Bay that I am not happy without a date, so if Rolex could please make some more interesting coloured Datejusts...