Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Alex_ »

Please burn that fake shit :evil:
M235i
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

:lol:
My fake Tag Heuer Indy 500 is still going and accurately after what must be 16 years! It has an automatic movement as well which makes it quite impressive.
Only thing that lets it down is the glass, glass looks shit on any watch when viewed at an angle.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Alex_ wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:12 pm Please burn that fake shit :evil:
why? You still have the love and appreciation of the workmanship that’s gone into the mechanism (or whatever) of your expensive one that a fake one doesn’t...
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:48 pm :lol:
My fake Tag Heuer Indy 500 is still going and accurately after what must be 16 years! It has an automatic movement as well which makes it quite impressive.
Only thing that lets it down is the glass, glass looks shit on any watch when viewed at an angle.
The glass is the same on mine when viewed at an angle. I'm astounded at the quality of it though and the Chinese automatic movement is no more inaccurate than my Oris. Not bad for £30ish.

The only downside was whilst wearing it in the heat and humidity of one particular day out in Thailand. When I got back to my room and took it off nearly all the black lettering that is inset on the back of the watch was stuck to my wrist 😂😂
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

That seems mad. It was made for the auction, so doesn't have any proper history like the Paul Newman Daytona which held the previous record price.

Also: 'most complicated wristwatch ever made' must surely be qualified by adding 'mechanical'; a 1980s Casio calculator watch is probably more complicated :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

What Jobbo said. And to be able to sink that sort of cash into a wrist watch..... bananas.

Plus - it’s ugly. And made by the company with the most pukeworthy ad slogan ever.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:28 pm That seems mad. It was made for the auction, so doesn't have any proper history like the Paul Newman Daytona which held the previous record price.

Also: 'most complicated wristwatch ever made' must surely be qualified by adding 'mechanical'; a 1980s Casio calculator watch is probably more complicated :lol:
Apparently it does everything apart from making coffee so it must be the most complicated ever made :roll:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I thought I'd heard of the Grandmaster Chime before and I have; originally a limited release of 7 (6 sold to specially selected buyers, one kept in Patek's museum) in yellow gold with rather bling engraving on the case:

Then they released a white gold version, which was rather closer to this unique steel one. Price for the white gold version: $2.2m:

You'd have to be very keen on steel over gold to pay 15x as much for this :shock:

ETA: I think an Apple Watch could probably be connected to a wifi coffee machine, so that must be more complicated, I guess.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Ok watch geeks, what’s this one?

A guy sat across from me on the train this morning had a nice looking watch on. White face, black numerals, almost Swiss clock style in its minimalism but I know those ones and it wasn’t one of them. Fairly plain fine black numerals and fine black hands. Steel/silver case. Automatic. Chunky crown wheels at 2 and 4 o’clock. Upside down red triangle (outline only) in the lower half of the dial.

I obviously couldn’t breach Southern England convention so I didn’t ask him to show me.

Any suggestions? :)
Left over crest; tightens.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Bremont MBIII
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

GG. wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:04 amBremont MBIII
M235i
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Boom! 8-)

Looks expensive :cry:
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

I have never seen a cheap Bremont.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Does it really say “DANGER EJECTION SEAT”

Just a little bit try hard/tragic :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:52 am Does it really say “DANGER EJECTION SEAT”

Just a little bit try hard/tragic :lol:
:lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I am aware of their history and that they apparently give out these watches to pilots who have successfully ejected, but still...
GG.

Post by GG. »

General consensus among watch nerds is they aren't worth the money.

Early ones used standard ETA movements - not sure if they've moved on from that now.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Some of the simpler Bremont designs like the Airco look quite nice, and I don't mind an ETA movement. The ejector seat one is quite tragic IMO unless it's the version with the red fabric on the case sides that's actually gives to people who've ejected.

I'm still thinking about the BB36 every day and am keeping a close eye on the used market but might just get impatient and buy retail.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

GG. wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:00 pm Early ones used standard ETA movements - not sure if they've moved on from that now.
They moved to "in-house" movements, then got caught lying and had to make a public apology for screwing up. But to be fair to them, a lot of in-house movements these days are based on ETAs but modified enough for companies to call it "in-house". My biggest gripe with Bremont is the pricing. They are priced at Rolex level but really they should be aiming for the Tudor / lower end of the Omega market. They don't have the heritage or offer something uniquely different to warranty of the high prices IMO.
M235i