The Watches Thread

Pete_

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Pete_ »

:lol: nice purchase! The brushed bezel ones look really nice, will you keep it on the NATO or swap it out for a leather strap?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

DaveE wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:11 pm
A big part of the purchase was seeing what it looks like with the loom:

Are you planning to weave your own strap?
GG.

Post by GG. »

I didn't realise they had that much wiring :lol:
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Every time I put a watch on a nato strap, I wear it for a day and then swap it back on its bracelet or leather/rubber strap.
M235i
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:56 am Every time I put a watch on a nato strap, I wear it for a day and then swap it back on its bracelet or leather/rubber strap.
I tend to swap between hand-made leather straps and NATOs quite a bit, and occasionally go back to an OEM bracelet; in summer, it's predominantly NATO.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I picked up some different nato-style straps for the Apple Watch - when they’re only a few quid each on AliExpress its cheap as chips to buy a range of colours. I like them, especially in the summer as Jobbo says.
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

LOL - nice typo by me there...

I like metal bracelet straps and NATOs, I've never got on with leather ones though
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

If anyone on here is looking for a Seiko King Turtle diver or a dive watch in general, I'm selling my green dial 2020 version (SRPE05K1). Bought on the 15th of this month from a local authorised dealer (online). It's been worn (not for long) a few times indoors so still in minty 'like new' condition. No marks or scratches on the case. Comes as standard on a comfy silicone strap. Full set.

Case diameter is 45mm (wears a lot smaller) and case thickness is 13.2mm (not too thick for a diver). Selling it cos I'm getting a different version. RRP is £520, happy to sell it on here for £360 shipped. PM me if you're interested.

M235i
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Those silicon straps are really nice, much nicer than the still old diver straps Seiko used to do. My Save The Ocean Turtle came on one, and I'm wearing that watch today in fact though on a dark blue leather strap. Definitely wear much smaller than their size.

Mine's not for sale, buy Alex's instead :)

Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

8-)
M235i
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

The new Pagani arrived today (a PD1661) which basically a Submariner but with a blue/black sunburst dial.

Build-wise it feels identical to the GMT I got recently (which is understandable as they're the same watches, but with a different bezel/dial).

It's unusual looking, and I'm not sure if that's in a good or bad way.

It's quite a subtle and dark blue sunburst, the dial being mostly black, most of the time.

I'd have preferred a black dial to be honest, but this is all they offer at the moment.

And it's certainly not as weird as the other option which is a black dial and bright blue bezel...
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

DaveE wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:29 pm And it's certainly not as weird as the other option which is a black dial and bright blue bezel...
What's weird about that? Looks great to me:

Rolex might not make that exact combo themselves but it's a relatively well-known mod which is nicknamed the Bruiser: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Submarin ... 3486128992
I'd probably have one of those over a GMT Batman if they made it in steel.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Maybe it's the ubiquity of the black/black Sub that made me react against the blue bezel.

I've not heard of the "bruiser" - the link above is the first time I've seen one.

There was something about the blue bezel that didn't work for me.

But this is what makes life interesting, right? :)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

But you like the blue and black bezel on the Batman?

I think the black face with blue bezel is more attractive than the Smurf Sub. Who knows if Rolex will ever make one themselves though.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:31 pm But you like the blue and black bezel on the Batman?

I think the black face with blue bezel is more attractive than the Smurf Sub. Who knows if Rolex will ever make one themselves though.
I do indeed like a Batman - I like the Pepsi too, but not the Coke (for some reason).

I really don't like the Smurf, but I do like the Hulk (and Kermit, although less so the Kermit).

I'm still torn over the Root Beer - I've never liked it, and then I saw one in the flesh, and it wasn't that it looked especially different or anything, but it suddenly became very appealing (maybe just because of what it is, how rare/expensive etc) - although I know it wouldn't suit me.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

The new ceramic Pepsi GMT is one of my favourite watches ever. I had one for a few days during lockdown from a good dealer friend and as much as I loved it, I can't bring myself to spending close to x2 on one. I've been on the "list" for one since they were released, so over two years now, and I still haven't had the call yet. Let's just say I'm not exactly a new client at my local AD.

On the topic of the Smurf, pictures all over IG and the forums of the new Tudor BB58 in blue, nicknamed the Turf (Tudor Smurf) :roll: . It'll be released tomorrow. Mixed reactions so far, but I think it'll look much better in person.

M235i
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Dave, your mention of the Root Beer reminds me of the Yachtmaster in Everose and steel; Rolex offer it with either a black face or brown sunburst face. I guess you prefer the brown? https://www.rolex.com/watches/configure ... -0002/dial In the configurator I prefer the brown dial but in the flesh the black works better for me.

Alex, the blue BB58 is a smaller diameter Heritage Black Bay blue, isn't it? They're nice but Tudor keep punting out basically the same watches again and again.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:30 pm
Alex, the blue BB58 is a smaller diameter Heritage Black Bay blue, isn't it? They're nice but Tudor keep punting out basically the same watches again and again.
Yup, smaller in diameter and also much thinner, which is a common complaint of the normal 41mm BBs.
M235i
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Ah, yes - the ETA movement Black Bay I had was thinner than the later in-house ones. Still a bit slab-sided for my liking now; I wouldn't bother with another.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

[mention]Jobbo[/mention] yeah, prefer the brown bezel on the Yachtmaster. It's funny how we react to things in the flesh though. As I said a few pages back, my step-Dad's Rolex with the "salmon" face I'd never have considered, but in the flesh it's a really elegant watch.

[mention]Alex_[/mention] The thickness of some Tudor watches has put me off too (not that I've been in the market, but even so...)