The Watches Thread

Pete_

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Pete_ »

They're a really cool watch, even if the Omega Railmaster has a 15x higher Gauss rating ;)

8-)
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Pete_ wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:27 pm They're a really cool watch, even if the Omega Railmaster has a 15x higher Gauss rating ;)

8-)
Not necessarily true ;)

Click

P.S Congrats on the Explorer, it looks beautiful.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

It's lovely. Well done.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Noice! 8-)
M235i
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Get yourself a nice digital quartz and don’t fret any more about magnets...
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:52 pm Get yourself a nice digital quartz and don’t fret any more about magnets...
Too right Rich - that’s just for use when I’m going into the fridge.

Here’s my go to when (i) I’m working inside the Large Hadron Collider, and (ii) can’t find the remote.

8-)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Spot on!
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Maurice wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:41 pm
Pete_ wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:27 pm They're a really cool watch, even if the Omega Railmaster has a 15x higher Gauss rating ;)

8-)
Not necessarily true ;)

Click

Interesting article and impressive performance from the Milgauss!

I fear my Explorer purchase may have been a mistake. Earlier this week it stopped working, it did eventually start running again and is running on and off, but now there's a bit of a metallic sound coming from inside when it moves so I haven't worn it since that happened. I reckon the rotor is loose and is stopping the mechanism running. I've been away for the last few days so will take it to a watch maker tomorrow to get an opinion on it. If it just needs a good service and some new parts then I'm happy to do that but if it's fucked then I may return it to the seller.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

did you buy it from a dealer or private sale?
M235i
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Alex_ wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:15 pm did you buy it from a dealer or private sale?
Dealer by credit card so hopefully shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Pete_ wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:21 pm
Alex_ wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:15 pm did you buy it from a dealer or private sale?
Dealer by credit card so hopefully shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Good. Any decent dealer in the trade would give you a full refund if the watch stops working within a few weeks.
M235i
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

mik wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:52 pm PS - @Maurice and @Nefarious - seems a long time since this....

The highlight of my collection, really.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

And that’s why they say a man with 2 (or more) watches is never certain of the time :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

When I uploaded the picture I just posted I realised that I forgot to make make private the Imgur album that I uploaded the previous Explorer image into - I've received seven downvotes and two comments from people who are angry that I 'feel the need' to share pictures of my watch on the internet. 😂
mik

Post by mik »

I expect they are from followers of this twitter account?

Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

😂 life goals right there.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Pete_ wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:42 pm
Maurice wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:41 pm

8-)
Not necessarily true ;)

Click

Interesting article and impressive performance from the Milgauss!

I fear my Explorer purchase may have been a mistake. Earlier this week it stopped working, it did eventually start running again and is running on and off, but now there's a bit of a metallic sound coming from inside when it moves so I haven't worn it since that happened. I reckon the rotor is loose and is stopping the mechanism running. I've been away for the last few days so will take it to a watch maker tomorrow to get an opinion on it. If it just needs a good service and some new parts then I'm happy to do that but if it's fucked then I may return it to the seller.
Update:

Last Monday I took it to a watch repairer that had very good Google reviews. I had given it a firm shake earlier that morning so it was running when I got there, he looked inside it and put it on a timegrapher and said that it was running perfectly and there was nothing wrong.... I don't think he believed my claim that it kept stopping.

As I was traveling home it stopped again!

The following day I left it in with another watchmaker, they've given me an estimate for a service with a one year warranty so I've agreed to that. All going well I should have it back in two weeks.
GG.

Post by GG. »

So after the debacle last year, I haven’t been able to find a Longines Big Eye for anywhere near the barganacious £1300 I ordered it for and whilst I really like it, at £2000 I’d rather save my money for something better when the time is right.

As a stop gap I’ve picked up a second hand Unimatic U2-b field watch. A cool micro-brand watch with off the shelf Seiko automatic movement but quirky case and screw down crown (good for 300m water resistance apparently), domed sapphire crystal and very nice rubberised band with a spare grey nato style one thrown in.

There a bit of controversy about regarding the movements not fitting properly in the U1 models but so far I haven’t seen any suggestion these are affected. An interesting buy anyway for a fifth the price of the Longines.

Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Nice! I was close to buying one, the NASA limited edition, but they all look too thick for no reason.
M235i
GG.

Post by GG. »

It’s one of those watches where it would be a real benefit trying one on. This U2 feels quite petite on the wrist and the thickness not unreasonable. Much daintier than something like a Panerai for example.