The Watches Thread

Pete_

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Pete_ »

I personally hate silver and gold watches but the dial on that one looks really nice, and to be fair a woman can probably pull off the look better than I could.

One thing I'm slightly unsure about with Black Bays is that the crown seems to protrude from the side quite a lot. Has your wife ever found that to be uncomfortable to wear? A couple of the video reviews that I watched mentioned that it did but it's probably something that you get used to. It also just looks quite vulnerable to catching on something and getting pulled off...

On the Alpinist - I see rumours online that the new one will be quite a bit more expensive than the previous one. I'd like to see one in person, but to be honest I'm not sure it's for me. I really liked them a few years ago but the SARB033 is getting me more excited at the moment. Although it seems to have been discontinued as well!

I think a couple of watches in the Oris 'big crown' series are more interesting to me than the Divers, but still not really something I'm lusting for.

I'll try not to do anything rash but just keep looking around to see if there's anything else that excites me, ideally at about 10% of the price of the BB! If that doesn't work out I might have some more detailed questions about the purchasing and ownership of that sort of watch as it would be a big stop up from what I'm used to.
John

Post by John »

Pete_ wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:15 pm

One thing I'm slightly unsure about with Black Bays is that the crown seems to protrude from the side quite a lot. Has your wife ever found that to be uncomfortable to wear? A couple of the video reviews that I watched mentioned that it did but it's probably something that you get used to. It also just looks quite vulnerable to catching on something and getting pulled off...

I'd never noticed it before you mentioned it and it does look to stick out slightly more than is normal. She's never mentioned it being uncomfortable, quite the opposite in fact and much prefers it to the Omega Constellation it replaced.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Which websites are worth using for either used watches or NOS watches? I want a Seiko SSB031 (Speedmaster tribute) but MrsREV is getting it me for Xmas so don’t want to rely on her getting one off eBay that might be dodgy.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Creation Watches have been fine for me but you’ll almost certainly get hit for import duty and VAT.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Ta, it’s £97 on there, so about £120 landed. Spot on. Cheers.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
John

Post by John »

I used creation a couple of years ago and didn't get any extra charges but I've read recently that isn't the case any more.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

So...

My Mum's husband (genuinely one of the most lovely people I've ever known) has recently started to express an interest in treating himself to a "good watch".

He lives a fairly modest life, and wanted to splash out a bit on something silly - but without knowing anything about where to start - except for a basic awareness of some of the bigger brands.

Today it was my absolute pleasure to take him watch shopping.

Trying to show him as much variety as possible, seeing how he reacted to trying on various things.

It quickly became clear that he would end up getting great pleasure from whatever it was he may have ended up with,

Which turned out to be a champagne-dial 36mm Rolex Oyster Perpetual. (A complete leftfield choice, given the watches that he'd been leaning towards during the day.)

It's maybe not the "smartest" choice, but he fell in love with it - and that's what it's all about isn't it?

He's absolutely made up with it. And we both had a thoroughly enjoyable, interesting, tiring, and emotional day together. A wonderful experience to share with him, and I'm delighted that he found something that is truly special to him.

"It's only money, and you can't take it with you" - amen to that!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

That’s a lovely watch which I’d really like myself. If it came to buying one, I’d always go for something more eye-catching, probably to the detriment of long-term happiness.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

It is nice that he decided to spend a bit on his happiness.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

It's a huge purchase for him, so I hope he's happy with it long term.

I was very 'impartial' and not trying to push or influence him, but equally nudging him a little based on the (little) knowledge I have in this area.

It's a really nice looking watch, not obvious looking (I can't remember having seen one on someone before and I always have my eye out for watches).

It's nice to see him treat himself and buy something that's ultimately totally pointless, but that he was really attracted too.

(It's also been bought with a view to handing down to my nephew too, which is a really nice thing IMO. They're both incredibly close and sure, it's not a Patek, but I'm sure my nephew will cherish it because too him it'll be "Papi's watch")
mik

Post by mik »

36mm sounds v small to me.

But its not my watch. So my opinion is worth exactly zero. Congrats to your stepdad 8-)
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

mik wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:47 am 36mm sounds v small to me.

But its not my watch. So my opinion is worth exactly zero. Congrats to your stepdad 8-)
It is quite small, especially by current standards. But it wore perfectly on his (skinny) wrists.

The 39/40mm cases were very "Look at my big watch!" and that's very much not in keeping with his personality.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I hate the current fashion for big diameter cases. Luckily we seem to have passed the peak on that.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I might 'PULL THE TRIGGER' on this later

I mean how terrible could it be ?

https://365cnmall.com/luxury-mens-watch ... p9358.html
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Nathan wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:34 pm I might 'PULL THE TRIGGER' on this later

I bought an Omega Speedmaster from them in 2007 and it's still going strong. Couldn't believe how good it was for such little money.

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

That looks good to be fair

I think the castings on the sharp bezel edgeso may let my choice down
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Looks nice and subtle :lol:
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

McSwede wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:07 pm

I bought an Omega Speedmaster from them in 2007 and it's still going strong. Couldn't believe how good it was for such little money.

Weird that it just says "Swiss" instead of "Swiss made" at the bottom of the dial.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Pete_ wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Looks nice and subtle :lol:
There is a Gucci tracksuit I quite fancy on there too
Simon

Post by Simon »

Good to know that you don't have to buy another watch if you want to go into space.
The artist formerly known as _Who_