The Watches Thread

Broccers

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Broccers »

John wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:45 pm It's better than the usual cringey steering wheel background (not from Pete) :)
Yeah that sucks !

Usually the owners are quite ugly too :lol:

Always fancied a Rolex like your two John.
mik

Post by mik »

In T5 so went for a wander.

Rolex shop had not a single diver on display. Whaa?

Spotted a lovely “Carbotech” bodied Panerai with blue hands. Pretty chunky but looked good for it. Way out of my price league though.

We don’t have any Panerai owners on here do we?

Also spotted a lovely ceramic bezel (?) Seiko Monster SPRD25 on a bracelet. Rather more sensibly priced, but it has a cyclops. :cry:
GG.

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:08 pm We don’t have any Panerai owners on here do we?
No don't think so - I've always had a hankering for one though. One of the dads from my son's class was wearing his Submersible recently and we got chatting about watches.

I'd been put off them more recently thinking the 44mm size was too big but I tried on the Submersible and it didn't feel/look that way. I think the older ones with more bezel / smaller faces look better balanced than a lot of the more recent ones.

Movements are a bit of a bone of contention though as they're generally just off the shelf stuff unless you're looking at some of the new ones with in house calibres. There is a Radiomir GMT with a Jaeger Le Coultre movement which I like but its pretty old now (15+ years).

GG.

Post by GG. »

Looking like I will get the opportunity to put my money where my mouth is on this thread in the next few weeks. Problem is I've spent so long looking I'm now confused about what I want :lol:

I thought the solution to this would be to go and try on a few potentials in Watchfinder / Watches of Switzerland.

First up. The one I can't / shouldn't because its too expensive. Vacheron Historiques Triple Date. Very attractive but on balance too dressy - the champagne colour of the dial is a lot more prominent in real life and would be too much to wear day to day. Also manual wind and, as mentioned, all the monies so I'm glad I didn't love it :|

I also tried on a couple of Jaegers (Reserve Du Marche) but again too dressy. They didn't have the type of Master Compressor Chrono I like or the model of Master Calendar which uses the sports watch case, so a bit of a miss there. Also couldn't try on the Panerai Radiomir GMT I like the look of as it was sold - looked a lot smaller than I expected - almost too small :?

Breguet type XXII Titanium with the aged lume numerals was interesting and had a beautiful engraved solid gold winding rotor but just too hefty and thick.

Interestingly the one I liked most was a Girard Perregaux Laureato. This one has ended up on a rubber strap as it is apparently an import from Hong Kong and they couldn't ship it out the country with an alligator band. Lots of watch for the money - 18 months old and basically half price. Typically my wife doesn't really like it :x

I also tried on a couple of Pannys but they were the 1950 case style and I prefer the traditional tuna can style I think. Will need to go to their Regent Street branch and see if they have any there. Maybe a PAM 1088 GMT or a 1090 power reserve.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

That GP looks a bit like an AP Royal Oak copy. Not sure about it.

Got to go with whatever you love so keep trying them - I like seeing interesting watches.
John

Post by John »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:27 pm That GP looks a bit like an AP Royal Oak copy. Not sure about it.
That was my first thought too.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes its an interesting one. Technically there were/are a number of 'copies' of the Royal Oak (e.g. Vacheron Constantin Overseas, IWC ingenier and Patek Nautilus). The Laureato actually pre-dates the Overseas and the Nautilus - as no-one knows of GP, however, I think people's general reaction will be in line with yours - its a knock off. The Clou De Paris dial certainly adds to that impression (and isn't consistent with the original Laureato).

That said it has a nicely decorated in house manufacture movement and top notch finishing overall which you can't really get near at the price. As someone commented - Patek quality for Rolex money. I guess I fall somewhere between loving the fact its much less common but having reservations that people's initial reaction is that its a 'copy'.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I had a 2006 Seamaster on a leather strap. 21st birthday present. Not too showy, not too dressy, not too big. Lacked the delicacy of my father’s 1964 one of course but that’s modern watches.

I had it pre lockdown. Can I find it now? Can I bollox.

:(
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

The Infinity Edition Laureato has much less of a Royal Oak vibe and looks pretty cool I think.
They're probably close to double the price though. The standard one really is a lot of watch for the money and it looks better than a Royal Oak IMO.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

How much would you expect to get as a trade-in allowance for a well cared for Bremont Alt 1C/BLK (all packaging, papers and original receipt) against a new TAG Monaco Gulf. It was luring me onto rocks like the sirens this morning in Nottingham and I'm gong to see it again and be told the trade-in allowance on Friday...
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:31 pm How much would you expect to get as a trade-in allowance for a well cared for Bremont Alt 1C/BLK (all packaging, papers and original receipt) against a new TAG Monaco Gulf. It was luring me onto rocks like the sirens this morning in Nottingham and I'm gong to see it again and be told the trade-in allowance on Friday...
A family bag of revels. We can exchange address via PM 😉
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I'd want to be paid 5 grand and given the Tag for free :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I’m aware of the ‘personal taste’ aspect, but I’m old enough for that design to mean something to me. Anyway, it was my birthday last week and it’s Christmas soon, so I don’t care what you think really…
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I like the Monaco, watch snobs seem to disregard the fact that some people just like the way something looks.

My wife gave me one for my 30th and although it's never been serviced it keeps perfect time.

I should wear it more.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Well said Carlos. The naysayers are just lacking in confidence!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:31 pm How much would you expect to get as a trade-in allowance for a well cared for Bremont Alt 1C/BLK (all packaging, papers and original receipt) against a new TAG Monaco Gulf. It was luring me onto rocks like the sirens this morning in Nottingham and I'm gong to see it again and be told the trade-in allowance on Friday...
Quite right.

Its a very distinctive watch thats for sure.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

I wouldn't be able to pull off a Monaco but it will be a great match with your car 8-)

Got no idea what you'll be offered for the Bremont but as a guessing game I'll say £1900.
mik

Post by mik »

I’ve always loved the Monaco (broad statement as there are so many variants now) - really bold and they remain very distinctive.

I’m too tight to play at that £level with watches though.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I still love the look of the Monaco but it would have to be the blue faced version not the Gulf. Nice idea, the Gulf version, but it doesn't seem to be a particularly limited edition and the colouring detracts from the overall style of the watch IMO.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Pete_ wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:31 am I wouldn't be able to pull off a Monaco but it will be a great match with your car 8-)

Got no idea what you'll be offered for the Bremont but as a guessing game I'll say £1900.
I'm hoping you are not too far out there. I won't say which way though in case someone is monitoring this thread!