The Watches Thread

DeskJockey

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by DeskJockey »

Considering a new watch, down to two options: GA-2100 (same version as Jody has) or a Seiko SNE497P1

They're about the same size, but the Seiko is more than double the weight and four times the cost, but I'm tempted.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

New 36mm Explorer launched today looks, well, like a 36mm Explorer! Interesting that they downsized it from 39mm to 36, I (and I think everyone else who has an interest in these sorts of things) expected it to go up to 41mm to match last year's upsizing of the largest Oyster Perpetual from 39mm to 41. I'm really surprised they went this way, I think 39-41mm would be more appealing to more people.... Wouldn't be surprised if next year they launch a 41 to sit alongside it.

Over the last six months asking prices for the old 36mm Explorers got ridiculous (now ranging from £5.5k up to £8k or so) so will be interesting to see how these are impacted by the new one. I'm sure the 39s will rocket up now.

They also launched a two tone gold Explorer :x

All the hype was around the Explorer II because this is it's 50th anniversary year but the new one looks almost exactly the same as the previous one.

Haven't looked in detail at the other new releases today but the white dial black sub-dial Tudor Black Bay Chronograph looks very nice! Think I also saw a silver/light grey dial Black Bay 32/36/41 which looked nice.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I saw about the new explorer as well

Does it now have the glide lock clasp?

I think the new movement (with 70 hour power reserve) plus a better bracelet (with a glide lock) would make a very compelling entry level Rolex

As much as I love them, my head said that (until this new version) it was kind of money for old rope...
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

No glide lock on the new Explorer 1, they're reserved for the dive watches and would be too thick a clasp for a "small" watch. It does have the easy link 5mm adjustment.

Glad they didn't change the Explorer 2 too much, the white polar dial is crisp, hope to pick one up this year.

Oyster bracelet back on the GMT Pepsi and Batman. Still next to impossible to get either one at retail.

Overall, a boring year from The Crown but I'm not surprised cos they won't keep up with the demand. There was a lot of speculation about models being discontinued, like the yellow gold John Mayer Daytona, but that didn't happen and a lot of second hand dealers were driving up the prices weekly.

Interesting releases from Tudor. The slightly thinner BB chrono is the winner for me, preferred the black dial initially but the white opalene dial is growing on me. The silver case BB58 is cool, apparently it'll not tarnish, a bit pointless to put a display caseback to show off such a boring movement. And for the wealthy, you can buy a £12.5k solid gold BB58 lol.
M235i
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I had a nose through Rolex’s new offerings. The Datejust 36 is available in some rather nice variations. The green palm dial is interesting but not something I’d buy; but if you change the material of the watch the colour of the palm dial changes too. In Everose and steel with smooth bezel and oyster bracelet, I think it looks amazing: https://www.rolex.com/watches/datejust/ ... -0032.html

Not that I’d have that one... still love the Yachtmaster 40mm with Rhodium dial. But I’d probably buy a Sub Date if the blue bezel was available on steel.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

That's a shame about the Explorer 1 not having a glide lock

I've just bought a few cheap ones from AliExpress to go on the Paganis I got a while back

They work and look just fine. Finishing isn't top notch, but they were a tenner each! 😂
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Update on my Jobbo spec strap, I still like the look of it but I'm not finding it that comfortable. I've persevered thinking it would wear in a bit but it hasn't. Ordered my first Nato to give that a try. :)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Funny you should say that Duncs - I looked in my watch box this morning at the four in there on lawr389's straps, and the one on my wrist, and realised that there was one which was barely worn. I put it on briefly and it's nice leather but a bit thick, so I'm going to look for another. It's also the only 22mm strap I've had from him and since they don't taper that might be part of the reason.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Now with NATO. I hunted down a strap that had a similar essence to the original leather strap which had red stitching down either side.

I'm pretty pleased with the result, comfy too. Ordered it from a company called WatchObsession (purely because they had the style I was looking for) around 9am yesterday morning and it arrived today so can't argue with that.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

That looks great. Is it a seatbelt type NATO? I have a similar one with grey either side bought from Timefactors (the shop run by the chap behind TZUK) - https://www.timefactors.com/products/tf ... ato-straps
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Yeah, looks very similar to that one except with finer stitching at the edges. I like the coarse stitching at the edge of that one though.
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:04 am Considering a new watch, down to two options: GA-2100 (same version as Jody has) or a Seiko SNE497P1

They're about the same size, but the Seiko is more than double the weight and four times the cost, but I'm tempted.
Personally, if not too late to share a view, I'd go with the Seiko. The shrouded "tuna can" is an iconic design, IMO.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

PreacherCain wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:48 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:04 am Considering a new watch, down to two options: GA-2100 (same version as Jody has) or a Seiko SNE497P1

Personally, if not too late to share a view, I'd go with the Seiko. The shrouded "tuna can" is an iconic design, IMO.
Nice to see you Rob!

I agree - the Casioak is a good looking G-shock but the Tuna is far more interesting a watch. Just not so good for throwing across the room and ending unscathed. Knowing Alex, I think he'd appreciate the significantly greater heft of the metal Seiko over the plastic Casio anyway.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

No purchase has been made yet, but I'm leaning towards the Seiko for all the reasons you both stated.

@PreacherCain: hello! Long time.
---
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

@PreacherCain Anything new to report? Still enjoying the GS?
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

Greetings chaps. Thought I’d look in, for old times’ sake.

DJ - if you want a good heavy watch that will survive the odd use as a ballistic encourager, the GMW-B5000 “full metal” Gs are your friend. Just avoid the titanium ones, they’re too light. ;)

Duncs, yeah, loads - although the Snowflake is still in the premier league I’ve been doing more and more in the seiko ordinaire space. I’ve pretty much seen out lockdown in either a G-shock (see above), Safarnie or Darth Tuna. And not just because of the GAF watch-nerd nicknames; Seiko really are doing more interesting things with dials and designs than anyone Swiss under £20k, IMHO.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Reason I'm looking to change is that my old watch was getting increasingly uncomfortable to wear at 295g. The Seiko is smaller at 47mm (compared to 52mm) and very nearly half the weight, but still a big watch that visually appeals.
---
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Thinking about changing my 735XT to Fenix 6 Pro (so I get on-board mp3) with my uber-generous 20 year £200 reward,

Wrong thread?
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 pm Reason I'm looking to change is that my old watch was getting increasingly uncomfortable to wear at 295g. The Seiko is smaller at 47mm (compared to 52mm) and very nearly half the weight, but still a big watch that visually appeals.
Holy crapola, that’s a big old lump! For what it’s worth, the Tunas seem to wear a lot smaller than their dimensions suggest; I hope you don’t decide it’s too dainty. ;)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

PreacherCain wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:22 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 pm Reason I'm looking to change is that my old watch was getting increasingly uncomfortable to wear at 295g. The Seiko is smaller at 47mm (compared to 52mm) and very nearly half the weight, but still a big watch that visually appeals.
Holy crapola, that’s a big old lump! For what it’s worth, the Tunas seem to wear a lot smaller than their dimensions suggest; I hope you don’t decide it’s too dainty. ;)
Fingers crossed! I still love the look of my old watch and it wears well (on my rather large wrist), but it is just too heavy. Went cycling with it and after a rather bumpy section I had a bruise on the back of my hand where it had hit as it bounced around.
---