The House Projects Thread

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Rich B »

A bit of drama for the day, we've been on holiday for the last week and got home today. Walked in and opened the blinds to find the window smashed! Bizarrely it's just the inner pane of the double glazed panel that's broken somehow, so we can't work out how the fuck it's happened.

Ah well, that'll be my first insurance claim in 20 years...!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That looks really odd. Assuming nobody has been in the house, could it be a stress fracture? Silver lining is that it is only the inner pane.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:04 pm That looks really odd. Assuming nobody has been in the house, could it be a stress fracture? Silver lining is that it is only the inner pane.
yeah, plus I know how strong they are, I managed to run over a golf ball with my mower and it flicked up into one of the doors at serious speed with no damage once, and I've hit toughened glass panels with hammers at work plenty of times to see how much abuse they can take to the face.

There is what looks like a centre to the bottom right, but the blind was down and there's no marks on that whatsoever. Any hit hard enough would have definitely fucked the blind.

My only other thought is one of the supporting blocks has slipped and an edge has hit a hard place, but nothing looks to have moved?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Weird. I'm guessing you'll never know.
---
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:57 pm A bit of drama for the day, we've been on holiday for the last week and got home today. Walked in and opened the blinds to find the window smashed! Bizarrely it's just the inner pane of the double glazed panel that's broken somehow, so we can't work out how the fuck it's happened.

Ah well, that'll be my first insurance claim in 20 years...!
A colleague of mine from Rickmansworth had that happen to hers while we were on a Teams call. Loud bang, she ran downstairs and the inner pane had smashed. Not covered under warranty so she had to pay for a new sealed unit and fitting. Less than 12 months old too.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I had that happen on a new build flat I was renting. Merely explained as just a result of the building settling.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

These have been in almost 4 years - the glass is warrantied for 5 years against condensation and dust, but specifically not against "spontaneous breakage"!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Happens to toughened glass. Shower screens are a common one for it.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Cracked window or not… and yeah , I know I’ve says it multiple times but I love that space. 8-)

Although your 4 chairs down one side, 2 down the other is making my stabbing hand itch :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:26 pm Cracked window or not… and yeah , I know I’ve says it multiple times but I love that space. 8-)

Although your 4 chairs down one side, 2 down the other is making my stabbing hand itch :lol:
👍🏻 Don't fear, there are 8 chairs!!! Don't stab anyone!!!!!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Christ it’s even worse!!! :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

Have you ever seen the film Insidious?

That’s you that is.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

We've had the joiner back in today to install some under stairs storage for our recent new staircase. Well happy with the results and the workmanship. Sensible money too 👍👍

Just need to paint the door and decide what we do with the wood. Paint or wax/oil??

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:20 pm Happens to toughened glass. Shower screens are a common one for it.
This happened to my neighbours shower last week. Middle of the day, no extremes or fluctuations of temperature or anything like that, the thing just shattered when there was nobody in the room and it scared them half to death.

What does one of those panes of glass cost anyway? Will house insurance cover it?

Its giving me the fear as we're planning a few of those on the back of the new house!
Cheers,

Mike.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Kudos wetroom panel, common size 900mm- around £200ish

Edit to add I’m an idiot and realised later you were asking how much the house glass cost, not the shower. Doh!
Last edited by jamcg on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

After a leak in the shower, the tiles are now back on the wall. Been over a week waiting for the plaster to dry completely. Grouting tomorrow!

Do anytime have experience of applying a grout sealant? Is it worth it?
---
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:57 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:20 pm Happens to toughened glass. Shower screens are a common one for it.
This happened to my neighbours shower last week. Middle of the day, no extremes or fluctuations of temperature or anything like that, the thing just shattered when there was nobody in the room and it scared them half to death.

What does one of those panes of glass cost anyway? Will house insurance cover it?

Its giving me the fear as we're planning a few of those on the back of the new house!
waiting on a quote at the mo. The whole thing was just short of £10k...
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:21 am After a leak in the shower, the tiles are now back on the wall. Been over a week waiting for the plaster to dry completely. Grouting tomorrow!

It definitely adds extra waterproofing, also helps discolouration if regularly applied. Pop in your local tile merchants and they’ll have some in an aerosol can, just sprays on, and can be regularly topped up
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

jamcg wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:42 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:21 am After a leak in the shower, the tiles are now back on the wall. Been over a week waiting for the plaster to dry completely. Grouting tomorrow!

It definitely adds extra waterproofing, also helps discolouration if regularly applied. Pop in your local tile merchants and they’ll have some in an aerosol can, just sprays on, and can be regularly topped up
Thanks!
---
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Thank you to Jimmy Choo for coming over today to help me fit a replacement double oven. Quite straightforward since I had a spare in the garage (really). Would have been easier had I not noticed a new water feature from the light switches before he arrived. Turned out to be an elbow in the main cold water feed in the loft which had popped off; sopping wet insulation pulled back and hopefully the wiring will dry out. Fortunately I had a decent push-fit elbow in stock to fix the immediate problem.

So we now have hot water heated by the boiler again, a working oven and no water leak. Everything is working. Except the lighting circuits and immersion heater which are still a bit damp inside.

All of this is frustrating because we’re planning to start our bathroom refurbs and extension soon. Glad it hasn’t really cost anything to fix these day to day issues.