Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Ascender »

Mother-fucking sheds 😡
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ok, so I'm looking for some inspiration here. We're about to have our bay window rebuilt (yet another saggy bit of house) before new alu windows put in. The house was largely reskinned by the previous owner when he did the 2 storey side extension. On the front some of the upper areas would have been rendered. When he's reskinned it one of these areas has remained whilst another went.

To balance it up and make it look sort of how it would have done he's just painted an area of bricks to one side of the upstairs bay to match the painted render on the other side.

Pic:

It doesn't look great and given the work that's about to start it seems like an appropriate time to do something about it. But I can't figure out what! I can imagine it looking odd if we get the paint cleaned off the brick, leaving just the painted render on one side.

Anyone have any bright ideas?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Render the front? Either the top half or all of it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’d change the colour of the render to match the other half better - or guilt trip the neighbour into painting their bit to match yours 😉
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:56 am Render the front? Either the top half or all of it.
Not easy to do as render brick is usually set back and the mating face is important. These are fairly smooth faced modern red brick so I'd imagine a poor key. I don't know if the outside faces can be chiselled back to then allow render - I'd imagine there's too much risk to breaking the brick. It also annoys me that he removed the feature brick line that would have been in place across the front (and still is on the rendered side, but I'm not gonig to sweat that too much.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:43 am new alu windows put in.
What style out of interest? Got a link?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Render the same size strip. I don’t think the depth will be noticeable once it’s done. Have the strip on the other side of the window brought out to the same depth.

They did a load of council houses on our street with that external
Insulation and even at about 75mm thick it doesn’t jump out at you like you think it would.

Dave!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Mrs A decorated the downstairs shitter

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

No mirror?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Anyone ever sold a house privately??

Ours is just about to go on the market but my BIL’s got a friend, buying in the same village who’s sale fell through just before exchange.

They’re looking for exactly what we’re selling and have expressed interest
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

GG. wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:04 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:43 am new alu windows put in.
What style out of interest? Got a link?
Origin. Only ones fully manufactured in the UK AFAIK and come with a 20yr warranty. It was that which sold it in the end over another make which might design and manufacture their own profiles but which are ultimately put together by the reseller/installer
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Having seen that video on Matt Farah’s car storage warehouse I really want cassette wallpaper in my bogs.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:58 pm Anyone ever sold a house privately??

Ours is just about to go on the market but my BIL’s got a friend, buying in the same village who’s sale fell through just before exchange.

They’re looking for exactly what we’re selling and have expressed interest
There’s no harm in doing it - the biggest issues would be who chases the transaction, and collecting the keys on the day of completion. Also the nagging doubt that you might not have maximised the value by fully exposing it to the market.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The market value element is my main concern Jobbo. 2 other, "smaller size plots with the same house" have sold on the street almost immediately after going on sale (according to the neighbours), both to families from North London who, thanks to Covid, are working from home (apparently), no longer need to have direct access to London so are escaping to the country.

Market Value is likely to be in or around £275k so there isn't massive scope for over asking price , even if there's a bit of a bidding war I'm' not going to make fortunes. If they were to offer Asking Price and maybe put down a non refundable deposit... well, a bird in the hand and all that.

It's a rental property so we're going to have to cover both costs till it's sold (~ £750/month) so a quick sale saves us in the long run - Add in the lack of agents fees etc and it starts to become more appealing.

I guess it all depends on their budget and the up to date valuation .
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Surely not dealing with a purple tied liar or high heeled 2 faced person is enough encouragement in itself ?

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol: - I once had an Estate Agent arrive for a viewing in a battered out Vauxhall Nova with the rear bumper held on with Bailing Twine...

He was wearing a purple tie - Ill fitting Burton Suit and purple tie - the uniform..
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:50 am :lol: - I once had an Estate Agent arrive for a viewing in a battered out Vauxhall Nova with the rear bumper held on with Bailing Twine...

He was wearing a purple tie - Ill fitting Burton Suit and purple tie - the uniform..
We had them promise as we had offered the asking price it would be pulled from their window and off the website. It was part of the deal.

He pulled it from the window and we were happy, after grabbing a coffee we had to walk past the place again and he had put the house back up, we asked to deal with someone else if he was going to blatantly lie and he then removed it properly.

Such a dodgy profession.

Dave!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Got someone coming to board out the garage roof to create a bit of storage. I wasn't going to get it done right away, but a neighbour was sorting it and getting quotes etc so might as well tag on the back of that. Just the floor to get sorted afterwards and I can start spending money on more interesting stuff.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:06 am The market value element is my main concern Jobbo. 2 other, "smaller size plots with the same house" have sold on the street almost immediately after going on sale (according to the neighbours), both to families from North London who, thanks to Covid, are working from home (apparently), no longer need to have direct access to London so are escaping to the country.

Market Value is likely to be in or around £275k so there isn't massive scope for over asking price , even if there's a bit of a bidding war I'm' not going to make fortunes. If they were to offer Asking Price and maybe put down a non refundable deposit... well, a bird in the hand and all that.

It's a rental property so we're going to have to cover both costs till it's sold (~ £750/month) so a quick sale saves us in the long run - Add in the lack of agents fees etc and it starts to become more appealing.

I guess it all depends on their budget and the up to date valuation .
Well you're looking at a £3300-odd saving by not using an agent based on a 1%+VAT fee, so if you think you might get £5k more using an estate agent, it could be worthwhile. If the price is fairly easy to fix then it's a nice saving.

Non-refundable deposits generally aren't non-refundable when it comes to property, though if it's in your hands then you do have some leverage there even if it falls apart.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Thanks Jobbo - Get valuation, offer it to them for List Price, then decide...