The House Projects Thread

GG.

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:12 pm £650 for a 5x7 shed?! I could build 3 for that!
Yes but for those not so capable you would need to budget for 'a Rich B' to make it!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:51 pm Seems expensive to me compared to something like this :?:

I got a 7x7ft Centurion and it is solid. Venting system - despite warnings on here its never suffered a drop of condensation. Light colour might help that.
Actually, we have an Asgard bike store which is utterly bombproof, so they are great. I'm trying to keep the spend low as its really just going to be a place to store stuff I need infrequent access to as I have other spaces to work-in and store the lawnmower, generator etc.

[mention]Mito Man[/mention] - That's interesting... I did wonder if they'd be that really crappy, flimsy plastic or not. This one would be pretty well sheltered so I don't think its going to take a lot of abuse, but you've got me thinking they're only going to last a few years before needing replaced?
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I reckon if you put it on a solid base it will last as long as a timber shed. We had a weekend to do it iirc so just chucked down a few plywood sheets and built them over it. After a few years the ground moving underneath just made the door frame fall out - but at that point we were building a larger shed in its place so disassembled it and realised there’s no way it’s going back together again!

Also note that you can really screw a shelf to the wall or anything as the panels are hollow.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:48 pm I reckon if you put it on a solid base it will last as long as a timber shed. We had a weekend to do it iirc so just chucked down a few plywood sheets and built them over it. After a few years the ground moving underneath just made the door frame fall out - but at that point we were building a larger shed in its place so disassembled it and realised there’s no way it’s going back together again!

Also note that you can really screw a shelf to the wall or anything as the panels are hollow.
Thanks for the info! We have a solid base down and looking at your pics, I think it will do the job. We have shelving units and plastic storage boxes etc for everything going in, so should be ok.
Cheers,

Mike.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Take it as a humble brag if you will, but glad to say I fired off the last 28k to clear our mortgage today 8-) Took the plunge as we have enough savings to live off for a year if anything happens with work, and we decided that spending £90 a month on interest was pretty daft just to have a more gratifying bank balance. The temptation to blow it on some old Toyota would have become too hard to resist, at some point. No inheritance, just lots of saving and hard work to clear it, aged 41.

Plenty of projects lined up for our little old place, but a bit more saving first.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mr_jon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:23 pm Take it as a humble brag if you will, but glad to say I fired off the last 28k to clear our mortgage today 8-) Took the plunge as we have enough savings to live off for a year if anything happens with work, and we decided that spending £90 a month on interest was pretty daft just to have a more gratifying bank balance. The temptation to blow it on some old Toyota would have become too hard to resist, at some point. No inheritance, just lots of saving and hard work to clear it, aged 41.

Plenty of projects lined up for our little old place, but a bit more saving first.
Well done! Reckon I've got about 20 years left before my mortgage is that small :D
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Me too! (As in many many years to go as opposed to our off) :?

Well done Jon. 8-)
Last edited by mik on Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

mr_jon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:23 pm Take it as a humble brag if you will, but glad to say I fired off the last 28k to clear our mortgage today 8-) Took the plunge as we have enough savings to live off for a year if anything happens with work, and we decided that spending £90 a month on interest was pretty daft just to have a more gratifying bank balance. The temptation to blow it on some old Toyota would have become too hard to resist, at some point. No inheritance, just lots of saving and hard work to clear it, aged 41.

Time to start saving for the Toyota 8-)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Time to buy a bigger house. 8-)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nicely done, I’d say that’s a pretty big life milestone for most 😎

Dave!
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:30 pm

Well done! Reckon I've got about 20 years left before my mortgage is that small :D
Blimey! Good Darts. I'm starting my mortgage at 45 with £153k and paying it off with just my income so I may be a touch behind you. :lol:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

For the sake of £90 interest a month I'd be keeping the £28k and doing something more useful with it (even if it was just sat as a nice corona safety net).

Must be a nice feeling to pay off a mortgage though, I'm many hundreds of thousands off that!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:53 am

Blimey! Good Darts. I'm starting my mortgage at 45 with £153k and paying it off with just my income so I may be a touch behind you. :lol:
I'm excited about getting the mortgage below a number starting with 3 in the next year or so!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:58 am
Jimmy Choo wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:53 am

I'm excited about getting the mortgage below a number starting with 3 in the next year or so!
I'm glad I live in the 1920s!
Banal Vapid Platitudes
John

Post by John »

Nine more payments until ours is clear. It seems a lifetime ago that I was struggling to raise the deposit for my maximum 3 x salary mortgage, still in the same house too.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Thanks all! The house is pretty big with 5 bedrooms, so no plans to go for anything bigger. We will have to spend around 50-60k to get the house up to scratch, but there is no great hurry.

I don't have life cover and my daughter has an intellectual disability, so making sure my family have a forever home, no matter what happens to me, was key for me.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

mr_jon wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:54 am Thanks all! The house is pretty big with 5 bedrooms, so no plans to go for anything bigger. We will have to spend around 50-60k to get the house up to scratch, but there is no great hurry.

I don't have life cover and my daughter has an intellectual disability, so making sure my family have a forever home, no matter what happens to me, was key for me.
Well done Jon 😎

It always amazes me the effect having a goal and seeing through a financial plan has on people's general well being.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

£28k on a Yaris vs debt free is no contest. You can probably pick up the Yaris for half that in a few years anyway.
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mortgage free by 41! That is a good achievement.

Don't think I'll be getting anywhere near that unless I find a magic money tree that gives me £50k each and every year until i'm that age - and that's not taking into account that we'll probably move somewhere bigger in a few years... :|
Last edited by GG. on Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I could pay mine off now but I like having the Corona emergency/fuck off somewhere fund (even though I’m permie now and not contracting). I’m trying to think of something sensible to invest in instead.

What’s Bitcoin doing at the moment? 😂