The House Projects Thread

McSwede

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:59 pm I was using the mighty titan today, drilling some 4 inch cores at my dads house. My tip for the day would don't stick your face anywhere near the drill when looking to see what it's bound on, especially if you plan on pressing the button...

...unless you want to go to a dentist to get your tooth put back where it belongs and be relieved of a substantial amount of cash! Doh!
Sounds like fun Rich. Painful lesson learned. 🙁
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I wasn’t quite sure how much to put in, I was sure I’d mentioned it somewhere but searched back a fair bit and couldn’t see any photos.

The farm site was my grandads, and his dads before that. He built their family home a couple of hundred yards down the road in the early 60s. The red brick part is Victorian. The grey block part was his garage, built in the 50s/60s, which he used until 2010ish when it was too far to walk. It’s where the old 1920s sunbeam sat on one side, my crashed fiat the other and his car in the middle.

The whole site sat unused from the early 2000s until a couple of years ago when he passed away and the site was cleared and everything sold off.

My mum decided she didn’t want to let it all go and decided to hang onto the barn.

Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:59 pm I was using the mighty titan today, drilling some 4 inch cores at my dads house. My tip for the day would don't stick your face anywhere near the drill when looking to see what it's bound on, especially if you plan on pressing the button...

...unless you want to go to a dentist to get your tooth put back where it belongs and be relieved of a substantial amount of cash! Doh!
Ouch! I’m glad I mostly used mine with the drill motion turned off 😬
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

McSwede wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:11 pm

thankfully not much physical pain, lots of wallet pain though!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

How was there not loads of tooth pain? Is it not a real tooth or do you just have a ridiculous pain threshold?

Edit: ridiculously high pain threshold.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:44 pm How was there not loads of tooth pain? Is it not a real tooth or do you just have a ridiculous pain threshold?

Edit: ridiculously high pain threshold.
nah, somehow it just didn't really hurt much (thankfully!!!) - it was a massive hit in the face and the hit tooth got moved about 2-3mm in and down, but was still rock solid, just in the wrong place! No blood at any point either.

I had an X-ray and it had severed the nerve where it had pulled away from its base, so they gave me some local anaesthetic and forced the tooth back, then I had to have a root canal to remove the dead nerve.

Thankfully the tooth wasn't actually broken, so fingers crossed it all heals well. It's a little tender on gum line brushing it, but I've not had or needed any pain killers So far.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:37 pm
McSwede wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:11 pm

thankfully not much physical pain, lots of wallet pain though!
Dentists know how to charge!! At least it's fixed.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Wallet drain aside, sounds like you got off lightly then. Lucky you!
---
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

IanF wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:03 pm @Rich B

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/124010234
cool! yep, that's my old house - the inside is basically how we did it, she did a nice job on the outside though. There's an awful lot of my blood sweat and tears in that build!

When we bought it:

When i started ripping it apart.

When we finished it.

i did every bit of bathroom/kitchen/finishes/joinery/etc myself. Quite proud of it actually!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Any enamel lost to that build?
---
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:13 pm Any enamel lost to that build?
Thankfully not - I probably took a few years off stripping the cm thickness of 120 years of paint off that fireplace by hand/hardcore chemicals though...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Can imagine. It looks really nicely done.
---
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Before kids. I actually had time to do things properly!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:27 pm Before kids. I actually had time to do things properly!
:D

I know that one, although I've got none of your skills.
---
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I was expecting astroturf as I scrolled to the photos of the rear garden. Pleased to see it has actual grass.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

£550K for a 2 bed! :shock:

I've just paid £320K for a 4 bed detached with a decent sized plot!
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Planning permission.

Fucking hell.

I'm starting to wonder if there's any part of this country's local government and council which isn't setup to do as little work as possible in the longest timescale possible, whilst hiding behind various processes which are as inflexible as possible and seemingly haven't been updated since the 1960s.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Ascender wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:17 am Planning permission.

Fucking hell.

I'm starting to wonder if there's any part of this country's local government and council which isn't setup to do as little work as possible in the longest timescale possible, whilst hiding behind various processes which are as inflexible as possible and seemingly haven't been updated since the 1960s.
Administrative delays are such a ridiculous PITA, the systems are sooooo slow. I'm still waiting on a hearing date from the courts for my claim submitted in January and defence received by courts on 3rd Feb. We've had updates from the court, but still no hearing date and it's well over six months now. And when we do get it, it will be a short hearing or CMC to narrow the issues to be dealt with. Which means another massive wait after that hearing :cry:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That sucks @Gavster. Puts mine in to perspective.

I just can't believe there doesn't seem to be any sort of proactive screening of requests going in to departments for starters. We've two things in progress just now...

One is in with a commission who have a 3 month lead-time, which has an extra 3 months+ delay due to "covid". After 3 months, I did a quick chaser just to check how things were looking. They said they had no idea, but now they've looked at it, we needed to submit an extra map. Which wasn't listed on their submission guidelines and clearly wasn't checked when it was submitted. So if we hadn't chased, they wouldn't have asked for this until they'd got round to looking at it later this year.

The second one was submitted in February with their guidelines advising a decision by mid-April. Last week, they asked us if we could perhaps flip the house 180 or add lots of windows to the other side because it didn't make for a very "active" view for passing motorists... who will struggle to see it from the single track road as its going to be down a hill at the end of a field which has a stonedyke wall round it. All this was discussed in the supporting documentation, but again, surely there should be some sort of initial review to make sure everything is there when they get a submission and make sure there's no obvious concerns?
Cheers,

Mike.