The House Projects Thread

Foz

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Foz »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:05 pm
Good stuff. In that case, my advice when you get to that stage would be to look on the WRAS site for a local company to mole/lay a new supply pipe, and hopefully they'll also then deal with water authority to get the connection made. We didn't have to do anything once we had the contractor on board - they managed the lot.* Cost us £750 + VAT IIRC for the new supply. They had a bitch of a job so I thought we did quite well :lol:

*well, not quite. We had to spend 9mo chasing the utility company to get them to come back and disconnect the original connection which their contractors had tarmacced over when they made the new connection. It was only my threats to start using the now unmetered original supply that galvanised them into action :lol:
That’s my fear 😅
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Had a full survey back on the house I was looking to buy, it was scathing! The basement conversion had been done on the cheap and would need upwards of £40k to be done again properly (two bedrooms and a bathroom). Outside render needs £10k on it and likely the same on the roof.

The whole house had been decorated and carpeted and I was a bit sceptical that it was done to hide a lot of bodgery, turns out I was right.

Arse, back to Rightmove.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

240PP wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:03 pm Had a full survey back on the house I was looking to buy, it was scathing! The basement conversion had been done on the cheap and would need upwards of £40k to be done again properly
Bugger.

Ex MiL2 moved into a place with a basement in Cheltenham and it was clearly done on the cheap by utter morons. The sump pump was backwards so when the ground outside was sodden, it pumped it into the room. That got fixed but water was still coming in. That's when they discovered that the tanking was on backwards so it would allow moisture in but not out. That was fixed and then the builder punctured the tanking.

I'm kinda glad I've not got a basement.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

House we didn’t go for earlier in the year back on the market now. They’re clearly keen for a quick sale as the EA is now willing to consider our almost insultingly low offer.

There’s a few funky bits about it: it was sold at auction in 2020 as a bit of a dump and has been pretty thoroughly refurbed inside but it looks like they ran out of money before finishing, e.g. the windows have just got a quick lick of paint. I’m a little suspect about why the sale agreed in Feb has collapsed but it’s at least worth a look.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:15 pm
240PP wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:03 pm Had a full survey back on the house I was looking to buy, it was scathing! The basement conversion had been done on the cheap and would need upwards of £40k to be done again properly
Bugger.

Ex MiL2 moved into a place with a basement in Cheltenham and it was clearly done on the cheap by utter morons. The sump pump was backwards so when the ground outside was sodden, it pumped it into the room. That got fixed but water was still coming in. That's when they discovered that the tanking was on backwards so it would allow moisture in but not out. That was fixed and then the builder punctured the tanking.

I'm kinda glad I've not got a basement.
Yeah, I’m going to steer clear of anything with a basement; they’re rarely done well, apparently.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Viewing today.

Bit of a funny one - 3 storey town house previously divided into 2 flats and eventually sold at auction last year for some knock-down sum. Extensively re-done, new flooring throughout, lovely new kitchen and bathrooms. But they have just slapped a coat of paint on the old sash windows and the doors, which made me wonder if they had run out of money before completely finishing the development... or found something terrifying in the fabric of the building and decided to cut their losses. It sold STC in late Feb but has just reappeared on the market, unclear if the chain collapsed or this was following an unfavourable survey.

Viewed today - in the middle of driving rain, which worked to our advantage as two damp patches were expanding in a back bedroom, one from a window frame and one in the middle of a wall even more worryingly. There was a fresh deposit of soil in one of the fireplaces and looking from outside, a chimney pot had shifted, presumably in the current wind. The floors were uneven on the second floor too.

Buttt.... the kitchen was gorgeous, it's huge, light and airy and right where we want to be living.

So... we said we wouldn't take on a project house but I am tempted to take advice and put in a low-ball offer as I sensed there was desparation to sell. The person showing us round was a bit clueless so I have emailed the estate agent with a massive list of questions (including asking if there was anything significant on any recent survey). If it's fixable, we might get away with a low offer and get a great house? Or if there are real troubles with the fabric, land ourselves with a horror story...
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Busy day today sorting some decorating before some new eng. flooring is fitted next week, along with skirting and architrave. I ripped out the downstairs loo and laminate. This job grew arms and legs! Most things we find in this house are bodge jobs or have been done on the cheap. Turning the mains off was the only way to isolate the supply for the cistern. Took everything out and fitted an inline isolation valve. It started to leak. I ended up over tightening and making it piss out. Cue a last minute dash to tool station for some spee fit parts. Had to remove some plaster board too but it ain't leaking anymore. Once the floor is fitted I'll buy a new bog and get that fitted. Wife's done a load of painting so been a good day really. Finished it with a Chinese and a couple of beers on the new garden furniture.

Great label on new garden furniture too. That got delivered on Monday just ready for the good weather!

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Spent the day putting a roof (and sides) on some decking for some privacy and to make it more useable for more of the year. Many lessons learned...

Buying a speed square has finally unlocked the mystery of roof pitch and how to do purlins properly instead of just trying to work it out on the fly and getting progressively more furious. My purlins are my proudest diy moment. No joist hangers either.

While getting all the materials, I picked up a few Ryobi cordless tools - impact driver; circular saw; jigsaw; reticulating saw and a new drill. How did I ever manage to get stuff done without a circular saw and impact driver? I guess I did, but much more slowly and angrily than I can do now.

The larger 4/5 Ah batteries are a must for anything hefty/cutting. I got a shock last weekend when the jigsaw managed to cut up one pallet before dying.

Back to it today.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, I have corded circular saw and jigsaw for that reason. Chances are you'll be near a plug when using them.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Rich B wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:10 am Yeah, I have corded circular saw and jigsaw for that reason. Chances are you'll be near a plug when using them.
I just buy more batteries 😂 but that’s the difference between needing a tool for diy and a job, you soon get sick of cords and extensions. Double chargers are a godsend too
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

jamcg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:19 am
Rich B wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:10 am Yeah, I have corded circular saw and jigsaw for that reason. Chances are you'll be near a plug when using them.
I just buy more batteries 😂 but that’s the difference between needing a tool for diy and a job, you soon get sick of cords and extensions. Double chargers are a godsend too
The lack of a cord was a godsend on the circular saw as I was able to use it easily for cutting rebates in the purlins. Oh, and who knew a tool belt was so handy...
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

jamcg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:19 am
Absolutely, if I was using the tools daily/for a living, I'd be making sure I had no compromises!
Foz

Post by Foz »

Got myself a reciprocating/sabre saw. Makes light work of plaster, stud work, cables etc 😂
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

When it comes to using a circular saw for cutting finished timber, remember to always cut from the back to avoid splintering the finished surface, and buy good quality blades. I use Freud ones, they’re around the £25 mark so quite expensive but worth every penny. I have a good one and an old one and swap between the 2 depending on what I’m cutting
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Foz wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:41 pm Got myself a reciprocating/sabre saw. Makes light work of plaster, stud work, cables etc 😂
I used mine far move than expected over the weekend, including when I had to remove some roofing nails and had a sinking feeling that it was going to be an absolute PITA with wire cutters and/or a hacksaw....

💡 Reciprocating saw! Genius.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Do you mean reciprocating or oscillating?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:45 pm Do you mean reciprocating or oscillating?
Mine is definitely reciprocating.

I need to look at some blades, so thanks @jamcg for the tip.
Cheers,

Mike.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Trying to progress our kitchen renovation but people seem to be conspiring against me...

Found a guy who said he could install, work looks really good and runs a professional looking instagram page and is well recommended. Said he would arrange for subbies to do the plastering, plumbing, electrics, etc. Can finesse the indicative price and finalise dates once the design was final.

Sent him the final design, chased 3 or 4 times to get a response. Called left a message. Called and finally got through and he said he'd check in with the other trades to set dates and has come back four days later, this morning, to say "they can't do it". Not 'can't do it but these are alternative dates', just a virtual Gallic shrug. Try to call him and no answer. Fucking useless. :evil:

All the other requests for quotes are now not final and 6 weeks stale. We're planning to install in ten weeks or so and the kitchen company wants a deposit in 30 days before their annual price increase. :roll:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

We only managed to get 1 quote for our work. 3 others came out with their trades, all looked promising, kept chasing for promised quotes but time ran out in the end.

If you don't want the work just feckin say so.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I know - at least if he'd have said 'look there's no way I can take this on', I could have at least got the ball rolling with someone else two weeks ago. Now there's a real possibility we miss the summer holidays and try and juggle this in term time.

Your only real option to avoid this seems to be to string along three of them and can two at the last minute (if they don't already drop out).