The House Projects Thread

jamcg

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by jamcg »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:00 pm Spent the day sorting out shelves in the shed and it has been a bit of a faff, although mostly self-inflicted.

When you're an ignorant amateur with limited skills and tools, you're reliant on the shops/trades to get what you need. Been to three different places to try to get the wood I need and so far I'm still missing some. Local Selco appears to have it all in stock, but as I'm not trade, I can't buy from them.

But I've managed to hang two (out of ten) shelves. Still need to source wood for three of the remaining ones.

The self-inflicted bit was eyeballing the screws and getting it wrong. Twice. Turns out the 3.0 X 35mm ones are just long enough that the tip pokes through the board. Luckily I tested it on an offcut before the actual shelf.

Less impressively the shed we had built by professionals is not level, nor are the walls flush. Thought I would have the shelves level with the windows, but the frames protrude making it impossible to get the brackets to sit flush. At one end they're flush, at the other end of the window they sit about 2-3mm proud. So I hung them 20mm lower, no big issue. Using my trusty spirit level I made sure that all the brackets were level and when standing back to admire my work, noticed that while the shelf is level with the bottom of the window frame at one end it is about 25mm lower at the other.

But, it is only a shed, so I'm not really that bothered. I'll hang the rest later in the week.

Apart from that the fan in the bathroom (barely two and a half year's old) has stopped working. Sometimes it does start, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it comes on with the lights other times it'll take half a minute or so. The timer function seems to have completely given up. Very annoyed, so have booked a sparky to come replace it with a not-a-Manrose one.
Test your spirit level by turning it through 180degrees, you’d be surprised how many spirit not levels there are in the world.

As for bathroom fans that’s quite common, we get recalls for faulty fans now and then
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:00 pmLocal Selco appears to have it all in stock, but as I'm not trade, I can't buy from them.
Become a fake landlord? Tenancy agreement template with a made up address is good enough. Apparently ;)

I tend to use Champion Timber or Forestrall for wood, good selection online and cheap or free delivery at a fairly low amount.

edit: these look worth a go too, recently moved to the old pub on the A20. https://www.floydsbm.com/
Last edited by simon_g on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:41 am The more I think about it, the full survey is probably a good idea anyway to check over the kitchen extension that was put in 4 or 5 years ago.

Cheers all
My friend paid for a super duper survey but when a cracked wall was found which needed huge amounts of work the survey had so many clauses he couldn’t claim a penny back.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

We now have underfloor heating in, the floor boarded out, the fireplace opened up, first fix electrics and plumbing, all the walls plastered, and the window/bifolds reveals all opened up.

I've lost a couple of hours today trying to figure out the Evohome setup for UFH with the electrician! It's all very good kit but the instructions are really quite shit. Eventually we reached a point where the main Touch controller (from where you program the various zones and timings) was clearly triggering the actuators for each zone. But for some reason the wireless room stats weren't communicating with the Touch controller.

The wireless stat has 3 bind setting Bo, Co and HC. Bo is for when it just controls the boiler direct (as we had previously in or non-smart setup). The instructions for the UFH controller say to bind with the Hc setting. Eventually we figured out, via Google, that the stats should be set to Co, however, in order to link to the Touch controller (seems obvious now). But nowhere in the instructions for the stats or UFH controller does it mention this. And this is the issue - the instructions for each piece of Evohome kit are written almost entirely without cognisance of the other parts of the kit. There is no overarching guide, so you have to figure it out piecemeal.

Anywhere, we got there in the end. Now we have to sit tight for paint this week, then we wait until the kitchen's fitted w/c 10th May. Windows should turn up the same week as well. So in a month's time we might actually be close to finished.
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:58 pm
dinny_g wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:41 am The more I think about it, the full survey is probably a good idea anyway to check over the kitchen extension that was put in 4 or 5 years ago.

Cheers all
My friend paid for a super duper survey but when a cracked wall was found which needed huge amounts of work the survey had so many clauses he couldn’t claim a penny back.

Dave!
Interesting - what's the story with this and House Buildings Insurance - if you DON'T get a Full building survey but a year or two down the line, find something that needs attention, could Insurance not pay out on the basis that you should have got a full survey.

Or similarly if you DO get a full survey, I presume you're then bound to tell the insurer of any pre-existing issue. and they might not cover it.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:14 pm We now have underfloor heating in, the floor boarded out, the fireplace opened up, first fix electrics and plumbing, all the walls plastered, and the window/bifolds reveals all opened up.

I've lost a couple of hours today trying to figure out the Evohome setup for UFH with the electrician! It's all very good kit but the instructions are really quite shit. Eventually we reached a point where the main Touch controller (from where you program the various zones and timings) was clearly triggering the actuators for each zone. But for some reason the wireless room stats weren't communicating with the Touch controller.

The wireless stat has 3 bind setting Bo, Co and HC. Bo is for when it just controls the boiler direct (as we had previously in or non-smart setup). The instructions for the UFH controller say to bind with the Hc setting. Eventually we figured out, via Google, that the stats should be set to Co, however, in order to link to the Touch controller (seems obvious now). But nowhere in the instructions for the stats or UFH controller does it mention this. And this is the issue - the instructions for each piece of Evohome kit are written almost entirely without cognisance of the other parts of the kit. There is no overarching guide, so you have to figure it out piecemeal.

Anywhere, we got there in the end. Now we have to sit tight for paint this week, then we wait until the kitchen's fitted w/c 10th May. Windows should turn up the same week as well. So in a month's time we might actually be close to finished.
I'm sure it's nice but maybe some furniture would soften the look and make it a little less bleak 😉 You're welcome. 👍
Foz

Post by Foz »

Stripping 15 layers of paint, woodchip, wallpaper etc is hard work :|
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Foz wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:39 am Stripping 15 layers of paint, woodchip, wallpaper etc is hard work :|
But very satisfying, isn't it? Especially when you get a good run going and loads come off.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Foz

Post by Foz »

Yeah! Having to do 2 passes with industrial razor bladed type scrapers and steamer!
Foz

Post by Foz »

Anyone any experience of air-water heat pumps?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Looks like this Bosch I have isn't very user-friendly for repairs - certainly can't replace the brushes.

What's the forum views on the best cordless drill to buy these days which should last a while and will maybe be more able to replace parts should they get worn? I think the trend in consumer stuff seems to be to make them more disposable items with sealed components inside so once they've 4/5 years old, its time to junk them.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My advice is to consider what other tools you may want and get ones where the battery can be shared. I have loads of Ryobi One stuff, it's not pro grade, but it's not pro prices either and you can get loads of tools and even cheap batteries. I use my drill and impact driver combo on pretty much every task (pretty much weekly) from hammer drilling to fine stuff and they're showing no signs of use after 8 years.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Ascender wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:51 am Looks like this Bosch I have isn't very user-friendly for repairs - certainly can't replace the brushes.

What's the forum views on the best cordless drill to buy these days which should last a while and will maybe be more able to replace parts should they get worn? I think the trend in consumer stuff seems to be to make them more disposable items with sealed components inside so once they've 4/5 years old, its time to junk them.
I use makita, but they’re quite pricey- for instance my battery drill was £150 bare. If you’re willing to pay the prices then they’re worth it. If you’re not going to be giving it too much abuse I’d agree with @Rich B and look at ryobi.

It’s worth having a think about what you would want to use, if you want jigsaws, circular saws etc before looking as sometimes a kit can cost more initially but be more cost effective in the long run
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

+1 for the Ryobi One+ stuff
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ryobi stuff is good and not too pricey. I would stay away from cordless stuff unless you're using it regularly enough to keep the battery fresh. The only cordless stuff I have is a drill driver and IXO screwdriver for small work. Everything else is on a cable. Cheaper that way too.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Thanks all, will have a look this afternoon, the common batteries is a very good point.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

I looked at the Ryobi stuff too, but ultimately went for DeWalt (aka Black & Decker)

Check out Screwfux for fairly regular deals - I nearly got a drill & impact driver combo and then decided “laters”. Common batteries etc.

Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Don't suppose any of the Scottish contingent know a plumber who could do a small, simple bathroom?

Next project is to just put a roof and sides up over some decking to make it more enclosed. The wife is wanting some willow panels and a simple roof which she'll get ivy to go up and over, so I just need to get a frame built. Only real pain I can see is digging a hole at the back left is going to be a total PITA due to no working room. Presumably as the roof isn't load bearing or anything, I could get away with one of the four verticals being in a more shallow postcrete'd hole than the other three?

Wanted to pick up a couple of tools this morning so thought I'd go to the local B&Q rather than Amazon. Of course I got there and the stock isn't where it should be, there's nobody around and they have two tills open so the Q for those was half the length of the store. I just came home again.
Cheers,

Mike.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Used dewalt and makita for years, no issues with battery life, can sit a year, take a charge and get hammered for big projects..

will start destruct on the back end this week, there's a block loadbearing wall in the middle of the rear "portakabin" extension, will strip back to that and then figure if I can put a bean in there under permitted development, the rear opening for the glass i suspect i will need warrant for.
mik

Post by mik »

Mate is a plumber but I can’t see him being interested in an East Coast job.

Powertools.... they don’t sell Ryobi though.
https://www.screwfix.com/#