The House Projects Thread

jamcg

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by jamcg »

All of the above really, I end up using a combination of hole saws, flat bits, multi tool and chisels- there’s no hard and fast rule when there’s already holes in the door.

I’d be absolutely lost without my multi tool, I’ve got a Fein Multimaster, had it about 10 years now, still going strong- Fein are the original inventors of the oscillating multi tool and they have so much less vibration than any others I’ve used
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I thought Hitachi invented it :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

They’re handy things but blades seem stupidly expensive for what they are. The cheap ones are made of chocolate and seem to last about 2mins.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It’s literally a google away mitoboy...!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I do need to get a multi-tool, seems like one of those obvious bits of kit that will prove to be handy in so many different situations.
Cheers,

Mike.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:03 am I do need to get a multi-tool, seems like one of those obvious bits of kit that will prove to be handy in so many different situations.
You’ll wonder how you ever managed before....... even if it’s just the cheapest, nastiest Chinese shite get one
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I got a cheap guild one from Argos for about £20 and it does the job fine.

Recently got a cordless one which fits my tool system and it’s even better with a quick release tool change and obviously not tethered to a plug.

I imagine if you were using one a lot / every day then it would be worth buying an expensive one.
Cheers, Harry
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Yeah, I had a quick google and there’s a huge price range on those things. What did you get [mention]integrale_evo[/mention]?
Cheers,

Mike.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Mines an einhell power x-change one, product code 12410 on toolstation. Can’t see how to link directly.

It’s £70 at the moment, but includes a free battery and charger.

I only bought that particular brand because I have several of their other tools / batteries and it seemed reasonably priced.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Cheers, Harry
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Thanks!
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

With “occasional use” tools like these always make sure the blades and accessories are available locally. Nothing more annoying than getting half way through a job and needing a new bit that you have to wait 3 days for delivery.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Saw this today - impressive design

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:47 pmThanks!
If you do get one, their £40 angle grinder is excellent too. I rarely bother getting a corded one out now. The overload cutout can be a bit keen, but with 1mm slitting disks and a good straight cut it’s brilliant.

I’ve got one of the more expensive brushless ones but it’s got a bit of an imbalance and doesn’t seem much more powerful so prefer using the cheaper one.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:02 pm With “occasional use” tools like these always make sure the blades and accessories are available locally. Nothing more annoying than getting half way through a job and needing a new bit that you have to wait 3 days for delivery.
All the multi tool accessories I’ve got seem to be universal fit so no issues picking up spares from Screwfix / toolstation etc
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:22 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:02 pm With “occasional use” tools like these always make sure the blades and accessories are available locally. Nothing more annoying than getting half way through a job and needing a new bit that you have to wait 3 days for delivery.
All the multi tool accessories I’ve got seem to be universal fit so no issues picking up spares from Screwfix / toolstation etc
Yeah, most do, but I’ve seen proprietary ones that would just be annoying.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Second lock done, in about half the time of yesterday’s one, thanks to lessons learned and use of the hole saw.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:42 pm
Same. We've more than 4 different types of windows and the guy wasn't a builder, just a master bodger.

Current project is sorting our extension which appears to be sailing down the garden - suspect footings not up to the job and poor ground. Can get your fingers in the gap between the dining room and the main part of the house. First stop is holes to be dug at each corner to investigate and then structural engineer to advise. Hopefully remedial works will be possible. Don't really fancy a rebuild. All of this has to happen before we can restart the kitchen project which we're desperate to get on with!
Well, holes dug today and I don't like what I can see! I'm going to be having nightmares tonight about the prospects of having the extension rebuilt. The worst aspect being that there's not much practical access to the rear - it's either handball it through the utility/garage (there's a decent levels difference between ground and FFL though) or we'll have to speak to two sets of neighbours on one side to see if we can use their shared access and come via next door's garden.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Is underpinning not something people use to fix bad foundations ?

A family friend had it done through his house insurance and mentioned it being particularly simple.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Can be. One side of the original part of the main house is underpinned along with the 2storey side extension. Mini-piled underpinning at that with some hefty ground beams in.

It's a question of cost I guess. If one option is underpinning and it's not too much more then i suspect we'll do that. It depends what other bodges are found as well I guess, such as lintels, roof structure etc.