The House Projects Thread

jamcg

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by jamcg »

https://www.toolstation.com/fischer-san ... uQEALw_wcB

This is a standard basin mounting kit, it might look heavy duty and a bit excessive but they do make the whole fitting process that bit easier, especially connecting your trap by allowing the pedestal to be pulled right out of the way
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The annoying part was getting the waste to deal to the basin. It was the underside which didn’t want to seal - so it only leaked when you let the water out. I dismounted the whole thing, re-seated the waste with a bit of PTFE tape and plumbers’ mait, and it sealed straight away. Wish I’d tested it for leaks before fitting it! If I fit another basin then I’ll do that first, much easier when you can tip it on its side to tighten it.

The tile drilling was straightforward, the feed pipes were easy and didn’t leak at all.

Also took off a (broken) soap dish from the bath and replaced the bath panel so here’s a before and after (the carpet went when we moved in).

We’re not actually doing this bathroom out until we decide on windows for the house, which depends on windows for the extension. Since it’s the kids’ bathroom and they’d broken both the basin and the soap dish attached to the wall, and splashed water over the veneered chipboard bath side panel, it’s a temporary job but it’s at least usable now 😃
Simon

Post by Simon »

That's a lot of products you have there Si. Be careful with that Original Sauce!
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Looks good. Carpets in bathrooms :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

That’s teenage daughters for you 😄

ETA - products, not carpet!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Flooring looks good. What is it again? (in case I missed it in the thread)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Simon wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:12 pm That's a lot of products you have there Si. Be careful with that Original Sauce!
It’s only the mint one you have to be careful of! :shock:
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:53 pm Flooring looks good. What is it again? (in case I missed it in the thread)
The very cheapest roll of vinyl I could find 😄
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

What a difference, nice work!
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Oooh oooh, other question. Where did you get the toilet seat to match the pan? We need a new one for our bathroom but don't know where to get the match from (and the one that's on there already isn't great and obviously isn't original).
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:47 pm Oooh oooh, other question. Where did you get the toilet seat to match the pan? We need a new one for our bathroom but don't know where to get the match from (and the one that's on there already isn't great and obviously isn't original).
This is a B&Q one (Cooke & Lewis) - it doesn’t specifically match the pan but it’s a shape which seems to work on a lot of pans because I’ve bought four for different loos. I’ll try to find the name...

Ah, it’s a Diani. Not expensive, and comes in other colours (I have a taupe one which nearly matches our olive green en suite suite).
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:19 pm
Simon wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:47 pm Oooh oooh, other question. Where did you get the toilet seat to match the pan? We need a new one for our bathroom but don't know where to get the match from (and the one that's on there already isn't great and obviously isn't original).
This is a B&Q one (Cooke & Lewis) - it doesn’t specifically match the pan but it’s a shape which seems to work on a lot of pans because I’ve bought four for different loos. I’ll try to find the name...

Ah, it’s a Diani. Not expensive, and comes in other colours (I have a taupe one which nearly matches our olive green en suite suite).
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:19 pm

Thanks for the tip on the Diani. I had looked around at others but it works out that the Diani was the best match measurements-wise, so I picked one up and fitted it before work this morning. Only 2 issues were scraping off the old sealant used to hold the previous hinges in place on the pan (who does that?!?) and the holes for the screws being too small to fit the 'dowels' through so I just cut the end of them and inserted that bit from underneath (as it's a freestanding bog, not wall hung or anything so I can get to the underneath easily.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I have hammered the Diani plastic inserts through holes in the pan successfully, even when they seemed too small. Feels a bit risky though :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yeah, I tried that too and still no joy. Even tried putting the screw up into the insert from underneath and pulling it through but no joy. Then again, that is the original pan from when the house was built (circa 1990) so not really a surprise that everything is a bit 'quirky'.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Fridge freezer on the blink and now into permanent defrost by the looks of things :( It is a 15 year old Samsung and has had a good innings, albeit bad timing. Compressor comes on for 5 mins then switches off despite the freezer temp being up to -5 or so. Duff board or relay according to tinterweb. I'll take whatever survives the night with me to the office tomorrow as the fridge freezer there is fine to use. Will have to throw some stuff away but not all that much really, maybe 50 squid's worth. We'll roast stuff off like the chicken that's in the fridge. New unit coming from AO on Sunday so in the process of ripping out the pantry in order to fit it in.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Work starting next week to rip up the rotten decking in the garden and pave it. Perfect timing... if we're lucky we might get a whole week or so of use before the weather turns :?

The travertine stone we're using should at least be more durable than wood - the colosseum is made out of the stuff after all 8-)
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Nearly brought a new house last week meaning I could finally join in on this thread. The house, well, bungalow was on a huge plot of land, detached and not overlooked. However, it was a woolaway pre-fab construction so it would either have to be converted, or knocked down and rebuilt. Sadly, our cheeky low bid was rejected and that meant the maths (for us) didn't work, so we walked.

So close to our dream home!
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Gwaredd wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:07 pm Nearly brought a new house last week meaning I could finally join in on this thread. The house, well, bungalow was on a huge plot of land, detached and not overlooked. However, it was a woolaway pre-fab construction so it would either have to be converted, or knocked down and rebuilt. Sadly, our cheeky low bid was rejected and that meant the maths (for us) didn't work, so we walked.

So close to our dream home!
So it's still a dream house rather than a reality house? :(
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:58 pm The survey has come back for the new house. There's a bit of a damp problem that is going to need to be addressed. The bank also came back and have said that the house is only worth £170k and they're only prepared to lend on that. This is a touch irritating as I'm kinda maxed on what I can borrow so I need to get the sellers to reduce the price. Couple that with the damp and I should be able to get the price reduced.
Price reduced to the valuation. I'm just waiting for the Leeds to say "here, have £153k. It's in this nice brown envelope. None sequential notes as requested. Please can we have our families back now?"
Banal Vapid Platitudes