The House Projects Thread

dinny_g

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by dinny_g »

Stamp Duty holiday extended - 8-) Time to get the finger out.

We ended up with two "Asking Price" offers on our house. One from a known buyer, solid finances, their house sale well under way and one from a completely unknown buyer, questionable finances, first time buyer, no mortgage as yet.

So we've accepted the first offer. At our price point, any too-ing and froo-ing would realistically only yield £1k or £1.5k so the risk wasn't worth it.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ive no idea why it was extended. All it's doing is making the market more ridiculous.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
GG.

Post by GG. »

Good job the front gutters are getting replaced this week...

In other news - a very large pot has arrived :shock: Not quite sure how i'm getting the tree into it however... :?

We're looking to replace the kitchen this summer - planning and getting people to actually return emails/calls for quotes is a ballache. Limited progress made so far...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Could you put both on their sides, push the tree in and then lever it upright?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

GG. wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:19 pm Good job the front gutters are getting replaced this week...

In other news - a very large pot has arrived :shock: Not quite sure how i'm getting the tree into it however... :?

We're looking to replace the kitchen this summer - planning and getting people to actually return emails/calls for quotes is a ballache. Limited progress made so far...
2 ratchet straps really low down on the trunk, use the straps to lift the tree- possibly a 2 person lift
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Grip it tightly, bend your knees and shout "strength of ten tigers!" as you effortlessly lift it into the pot.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just eat your spinach in the morning, squat and lift it into the other pot. If you're removing the old pot first then good luck :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

GG. wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:19 pm Good job the front gutters are getting replaced this week...

Your gutters are playing the intro....

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Or....

Don't be the southern fanny that you don't realise you've morphed into. Pick it up and put it in the pot ya big girl 😘
GG.

Post by GG. »

:lol:

Yes old pot needs to come off first - not helping matters.

Lying both in their sides is not a bad idea. Needs aggregate at the bottom to drain and then a permeable membrane though - getting that to all stay in place would be the catch with that plan I think...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

McSwede wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:46 pm Or....

Don't be the southern fanny that you don't realise you've morphed into. Pick it up and put it in the pot ya big girl 😘
So very much this :lol:

Why d'you need a permeable membrane? Surely just chuck some broken pot in the bottom and drop tree in.

And repeat next year when your pot has been fvcked by frost... ;)
GG.

Post by GG. »

Haha yes well that all sounds easy... what I realised when hoiking the much lighter palm into its pot was that lifting it is one thing, lifting it nearly a meter into the air to clear the pot lip and then another half meter forwards before dropping it in the pot and not smashing the pot in the process is altogether something else! You tend to get it about 30 or so cm off the ground, realise you have the same to go up again and think ‘shit’ :lol:

Membrane is to stop the soil washing out the hole and also to keep the fast draining gravel layer at the bottom separate from the soil and stop the two becoming mixed and causing water logging. Olives really don’t like it apparently and I don’t really want to kill an expensive tree!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Just smash the old pot off with a hammer, then you’ve only got one lift to do
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

GG. wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:30 am Membrane is to stop the soil washing out the hole and also to keep the fast draining gravel layer at the bottom separate from the soil and stop the two becoming mixed and causing water logging. Olives really don’t like it apparently and I don’t really want to kill an expensive tree!
Ah right. We've an olive out the front of our house, albeit nowhere near that size. We just stuck with the aproach of broken pots in the bottom and a fairly sandy soil mix, but I guess you'd need a fair amount of broken pot for what you have :P
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

GG. wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:30 am Haha yes well that all sounds easy... what I realised when hoiking the much lighter palm into its pot was that lifting it is one thing, lifting it nearly a meter into the air to clear the pot lip and then another half meter forwards before dropping it in the pot and not smashing the pot in the process is altogether something else! You tend to get it about 30 or so cm off the ground, realise you have the same to go up again and think ‘shit’ :lol:

Membrane is to stop the soil washing out the hole and also to keep the fast draining gravel layer at the bottom separate from the soil and stop the two becoming mixed and causing water logging. Olives really don’t like it apparently and I don’t really want to kill an expensive tree!
Rip shirt off....
Point at plant, say loudly “Not today friend”
Crack knuckles
Overly grunt when picking up plant
Kick old pot off with foot
Turn 90degrees
Drop plant in new pot
Get handed beer by lady who then drapes herself over your glistening torso
Water thoroughly
Proceed inside to vigorous lovemaking

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
GG.

Post by GG. »

I'll inform my wife to be on standby :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Didn't know olive trees stood up to our climate!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

GG. wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:19 pm I'll inform my wife to be on standby :lol:
I think you also need to be wearing Aviators to complete the experience.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
GG.

Post by GG. »

Let there be light! (Ignore the conspicuously unpotted tree) :D

Annoyingly one of the bulbs supplied with the brass bulkheads blew immediately. Anyway - guttering also done - productive (but expensive) Friday!