The House Projects Thread

dinny_g

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah, it’s up at ‘offers over’ so let’s see.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

What Rich says. This is what EAs are paid for. Make them earn their money.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

Saw this link tonight. I spent a week on Mull - it’s stunning.

OK the decor in the house needs an update, and 356 acres might feel a bit claustrophobic at times, but....

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/96779318#/
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

mik wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:13 pm Saw this link tonight. I spent a week on Mull - it’s stunning.

OK the decor in the house needs an update, and 356 acres might feel a bit claustrophobic at times, but....

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/96779318#/
Yeah that would do it. Looks like ferry access only and no road over to mainland? Might limit the driving options a bit but other than it's perfect.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ve thought about this before.

Just have a Defender on the island and keep a couple of nice cars in storage on the mainland.

IIRC the roads on mull aren’t great anyway. Too narrow and full of cows :lol:
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Lots of it is single-track - and much of that is very twisty & undulating.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Nice for a week I imagine!
mik

Post by mik »

I think I’d need a bigger mower
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That’s what the herd is for
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Not far from the ferry there, and the A489 between Salen and Craignure is wide enough for painted lines down the middle of the road. I love Mull. Would want to be in Tobermory if I lived there, though.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Rich B wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:42 pm Get the estate agent to do their job
lol
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Halfway through the new bathroom. Unexpectedly had to replace the floor, so that's set things a day or so. Should be all done on Friday. Pics to follow then.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

We've started repainting the house this week (and by we I mean some blokes are here doing it.) There's a lot of nerves about it as the whole place is covered in a Transtec ply cladding as a second skin. Previous owners did it and applied the recommended at the time PVA sealant to it and nothing else. The product went off sale here within a few years as it didn't respond well to the harsh UV in NZ and started delaminating. So we've got a partially unsealed ply cladding to treat and then apply all the paint to.

The tech boffins from the paint company were round a few times to figure out how to deal with it. Solution is a four coat system starting with a fancy sealer of some form. They're prepared to back it with a warranty so fingers crossed it's all good!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Still waiting on builders quotes for the ground floor renovation :roll:

However, after waiting for 4mo (and probably closer to 9 since we started the process) our new windows have arrived for the front of the house. Upper bay is now in. Tomorrow should see the rest done.

The only pisser is the spare room and study room both currently have 60mm frames in and the new ones are 70mm. This means cutting back the boarding and cills inside by 10mm. In rooms that have been decorated in the last 5 years. FFS. Ironically in our bedroom, where we were set to redecorate anyway, no such damage necessary.

I just hope they can do a neat job - but can't imagine plaster is easy to cut even remotely neatly.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:51 pm Still waiting on builders quotes for the ground floor renovation :roll:

However, after waiting for 4mo (and probably closer to 9 since we started the process) our new windows have arrived for the front of the house. Upper bay is now in. Tomorrow should see the rest done.

The only pisser is the spare room and study room both currently have 60mm frames in and the new ones are 70mm. This means cutting back the boarding and cills inside by 10mm. In rooms that have been decorated in the last 5 years. FFS. Ironically in our bedroom, where we were set to redecorate anyway, no such damage necessary.

I just hope they can do a neat job - but can't imagine plaster is easy to cut even remotely neatly.
I’d imagine it’ll be a combination of grinders and oscillating multi tools, whatever they use expect it to be a dusty job so cover anything that you don’t want lathered, plaster dust is incredibly fine and goes everywhere
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I've been pondering building a nice office/sun room/shed in the garden but not doing much more that pondering TBH.

Then someone sent me to the diysheds.co.uk and now I've designed what I want and am getting quotes for materials. Might just be taking a week off work in the spring to build something that I've never done before.

What could go wrong?? 😂😂
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

General plan to buy a place with the Mrs in Cambridge and move in with her. I sold mine a couple of years ago and have cash in savings, she’s just put hers on the market.

The problem is that we have already seen a house we love but are desperate to put an offer in.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I've the window man coming back round on Friday to confirm the order for out new windows. Whole house and back door is being done, along with back garage door and window, apart from the conservatory (which either needs a major refurb or tearing down).

Getting Rehau units, who do the exact RAL 8022 Black-Brown colour match for the rest of the wood in the house, and are also fitted in 3 other houses in the close.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

McSwede wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:35 pm I've been pondering building a nice office/sun room/shed in the garden but not doing much more that pondering TBH.

Then someone sent me to the diysheds.co.uk and now I've designed what I want and am getting quotes for materials. Might just be taking a week off work in the spring to build something that I've never done before.

What could go wrong?? 😂😂
Mum bought one of these https://www.diy.com/departments/shire-m ... 130_BQ.prd (hers is a 10x10) a couple of years ago, and I'm really impressed with how well it's built. I priced up to build her something similar and couldn't get close. Very easy to assemble - I had it finished in about 3 hours, aside from the felt roofing. If you were to insulate the walls and roof, it would be a nice place to work.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

McSwede wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:35 pm I've been pondering building a nice office/sun room/shed in the garden but not doing much more that pondering TBH.

What could go wrong?? 😂😂
Also forgot to add house based stuff. Just about to book plumbers to fit new Veismann combi boiler and rip out old microbore pipework and upgrade to 15mm which means floors up. Also fit cast iron rads and a couple of new towel warmers. Then joiner coming to fit engineered wood floors, architrave and skirting boards. Then built in wardrobe doors and fit out the understairs area.

Then we can get a decorator in.

Oh, and got some people coming to quote for replacing the 6m x 3m conservatory with something a little more substantial that isn't like a bloody icebox for half the year. That should keep us going for a little while 😂

Changing the M140i for a hybrid later this year and something tells me that my substantial Bik savings will get gobbled up 😭