KevH18

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by KevH18 »

36.5m. 20 fences at 6ft each.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Cheers chaps, Google maps reckons just over 39m.

Just took another quick photo for a before and after of the back.

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Love that Rich!! 8-)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:17 pm
I note your Ultraclear(tm) glass outdoor dining table arrived
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:32 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:17 pm
I note your Ultraclear(tm) glass outdoor dining table arrived
I knew you'd say that! 😂
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

@mik you've won! Please contact our customer care team citing the code #GardenLengthEstimateWin and we'll ship your prize of a year's washing up from a student shared house directly to you.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Looks great Rich.

I wish ours would get bloody started. Still waiting on builders quotes!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Looking great!

Also very topical. Is that solar control glass @Rich B? I'm on the cusp of ordering new windows for the whole house and seriously contemplating solar control glass in most of the units as our house gets ridiculously hot in the summer. The quotes from the window firm aren't too bad (only about an £800 premium for the whole house) but I'm struggling to understand the impact of how much darker it'll be inside the house if we have it fitted.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

It's got a Saint gobain film on/in it, and it definitely helps, but I also put electric (battery) blinds in too for when it's direct bright sun.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

That way does it face Rich?? How much sunlight??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:16 pm That way does it face Rich?? How much sunlight??
South. It has ALL the sunlight. We're probably going to have to do something about the white wall in the corner because in the summer it gets too hot in that corner to use it.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Nice...

The house we’re selling is the same - absolute due south. Estate agents are really pushing it for Solar capability (sloping roof pointing that way), gardening etc.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Front of our house is south-facing and it's incredible how much of an impact that has - most of our lounge furniture has been bleached (the leather parts of the sofa are now almost white!). We're hopefully only 1-2 weeks away from finally having new windows though, and we've gone for having the UV film on. Barely adds any cost for us.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We really need to get our bathroom done but are in the neverending cycle of contacting tradesmen and getting zero response from any of them. We had a leaking shower so I ended up just replacing it with a bog standard one myself, but I'm now wondering if I just downsize our ideas and do a "simple" refit myself with new units and re-tiling etc.
Cheers,

Mike.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Ascender wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:15 am We really need to get our bathroom done but are in the neverending cycle of contacting tradesmen and getting zero response from any of them. We had a leaking shower so I ended up just replacing it with a bog standard one myself, but I'm now wondering if I just downsize our ideas and do a "simple" refit myself with new units and re-tiling etc.
I’ve just finished sorting my Mam’s out for her- she didn’t want tiling and wanted plastic cladding instead, it could be easier if you go down the diy route

And yes it is as small as it looks....
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Garden looks great @Rich B. It's a good size too, that's probably all I'd change about our place, but it ticks so many other boxes that I tell myself the low maintenance is an upside.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rental house went live on right move this morning - we already have 5 viewings... :shock:

I'm beginning to think we've under-priced it :lol: I appreciate that Viewings and Offers are very different but what happens if 2 people offer the asking price ??

Brother in Aus says Blind Auctions is the norm for that out there but what about in the UK?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

You choose who you'd rather rent it to, Dinny - easy enough? I don't think there's any mileage in asking for a higher rent from each; advertise it at what the market will stand and choose your tenant based on references, how long they'll commit to, when they want to move in etc.
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:16 pm Rental house went live on right move this morning - we already have 5 viewings... :shock:

I'm beginning to think we've under-priced it :lol: I appreciate that Viewings and Offers are very different but what happens if 2 people offer the asking price ??

Brother in Aus says Blind Auctions is the norm for that out there but what about in the UK?
Surely in that scenario you ask which would like to offer more in order to seal the deal? :?

Scottish system is different - you generally ask for “offers over £x” and look for the highest bidder. And there is no way you’d accept £x. “That’s what we do to get people through the door” say the Estate Agents. Stoopid system.

I struggled to sell my first flat as I had done naff all to it. Mainly ‘cos I met the future Mrs mik not long after and we worked on her place. When we put it up for sale we had 63 viewings in 11 days. We could only do weekends or evening so were arranging them at 15min intervals doing upto 8 per night - I would take one group, Mrs mik the next etc etc. as they always stayed longer than 15mins. It was nuts.
Last edited by mik on Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Get the estate agent to do their job - they should be able to weed out the best offer.

I had 3 interested parties on my last house sale, I basically gave them one chance each and took the one I liked best (All were within £3k of the asking price so I took the cash buyer). I'm sure I could have gone back and forth and got a few k more, but I've heard and seen so many horror stories from mates buying and selling that it just wasn't worth it. Potentially different if you're not actually moving out of the house.