The House Projects Thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:48 am Mate is a plumber but I can’t see him being interested in an East Coast job.

Powertools.... they don’t sell Ryobi though.
https://www.screwfix.com/#
Yeah, I knew it was a long shot. I'll maybe advertise on one of the "find a tradesman" boards online and see.

Thanks, will have a gander now and get some stuff ordered.
Cheers,

Mike.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Ask for recommendations on the socials would be my advise, can’t beat a first hand one
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ascender wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:04 am
mik wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:48 am Mate is a plumber but I can’t see him being interested in an East Coast job.

Powertools.... they don’t sell Ryobi though.
https://www.screwfix.com/#
Yeah, I knew it was a long shot. I'll maybe advertise on one of the "find a tradesman" boards online and see.

Thanks, will have a gander now and get some stuff ordered.
Where's @jamcg based? Can't remember.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Teesside, Scotland’s bit far out for us
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

After a couple of years on this one, from acquisition to practical completion, I can honestly say that the best bit of a house project is when the builders piss off, and one can move in and enjoy it.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

New Viessmann boiler, CH pipework and Matt black cast iron rads fitted last week. Very pleased!!

Bath tap can be run flat out now with lots of hot water. All hot taps get very hot much quicker than the old boiler and the improvement in heat stability and flow rate from all the hot taps is tremendous.

Cast iron rads are ace! Love them. Looked a bit funny with the white Drayton wiser smart TVs so sprayed them Matt black with a rattle can I'd bought for the mx5. They look fab now 😎

Joiner starts next Monday to do the engineered wood floor through living room, hall and downstairs loo as well as new skirting boards, architrave and doors. Before he starts well do a quick bit of decorating and remove the big from the loo and order a new one to refit when he's finished.

On the 21st the conservatory gets ripped down so work on a proper living space can begin. I'll be keeping the big french doors and a window or two for if/when I build myself a shoffice.

Need to sort out lighting for he new room. I want to light it indirectly via the vaulted ceiling.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Here are a couple from my last job (full bare brick renovation of a 1-bed flat). Third floor I might add, and with the owners still living there while we worked.

Unfortunately, no snaps of the bedroom or hallway.

Overall, not a bad job. 7 weeks, tight budget. Few awkward bits with plumbing and electrics, but owners very happy and a few sets of tyres paid for ;)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

We really picked the wrong time to be buying. Anything decent on the market is going for well above the asking price it would seem.

Stuck in the trap of do we play the waiting game or do we plump for a house that isn't quite what we want...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

McSwede wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:44 pm New Viessmann boiler, CH pipework and Matt black cast iron rads fitted last week. Very pleased!!

Bath tap can be run flat out now with lots of hot water. All hot taps get very hot much quicker than the old boiler and the improvement in heat stability and flow rate from all the hot taps is tremendous.

Cast iron rads are ace! Love them. Looked a bit funny with the white Drayton wiser smart TVs so sprayed them Matt black with a rattle can I'd bought for the mx5. They look fab now 😎

Joiner starts next Monday to do the engineered wood floor through living room, hall and downstairs loo as well as new skirting boards, architrave and doors. Before he starts well do a quick bit of decorating and remove the big from the loo and order a new one to refit when he's finished.

On the 21st the conservatory gets ripped down so work on a proper living space can begin. I'll be keeping the big french doors and a window or two for if/when I build myself a shoffice.

Need to sort out lighting for he new room. I want to light it indirectly via the vaulted ceiling.
Found exactly the same with our boiler. Bath filling time has more than halved - probably more like 30% of the time it used to take.
Foz

Post by Foz »

My water at the new place is crap- shite pressure and lack of stopcocks, think the original lead pipe is still there, there’s a cold tank in a bizarre place as well, need to bypass that!

2 en-suites removed, my plasterer round on Thursdays for a looksee to start on the main bedrooms
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Do you have the lead replacement pipe scheme up there?
Foz

Post by Foz »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:09 pm Do you have the lead replacement pipe scheme up there?
I have no idea..
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I complained to Yorkshire water about our crap water pressure, they send someone the next day who agreed. The next week the road was up and they fixed it while causing a gas leak in the process. Worth a call to your water people if its not up to scratch coming into the property its their duty to sort it out.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Yeah I will do, in a bizarre tug of war with the local authority and previous commercial water supplier ( as it was a guest house) will get that ironed out first, then persue!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Foz wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:04 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:09 pm Do you have the lead replacement pipe scheme up there?
I have no idea..
Worth looking into if it turns out it's your supply that's causing the issues. They don't typically pay for your new supply to be laid/moled, but most will under the LRP scheme make the new connection free of charge.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:14 am We really picked the wrong time to be buying. Anything decent on the market is going for well above the asking price it would seem.

Stuck in the trap of do we play the waiting game or do we plump for a house that isn't quite what we want...
The decent properties all seem to have gone under offer during the SDLT holiday. I'd suggest sitting tight and waiting for the right one to become available, but making sure you're in the best position to buy when it does.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:58 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:14 am We really picked the wrong time to be buying. Anything decent on the market is going for well above the asking price it would seem.

The decent properties all seem to have gone under offer during the SDLT holiday. I'd suggest sitting tight and waiting for the right one to become available, but making sure you're in the best position to buy when it does.
We're in two minds about taking the offer on our current place and going into rental for now, just to make us cash buyers. It's the faff of moving twice that puts us off but it might be helpful in order to pounce effectively.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Good stuff. In that case, my advice when you get to that stage would be to look on the WRAS site for a local company to mole/lay a new supply pipe, and hopefully they'll also then deal with water authority to get the connection made. We didn't have to do anything once we had the contractor on board - they managed the lot.* Cost us £750 + VAT IIRC for the new supply. They had a bitch of a job so I thought we did quite well :lol:

*well, not quite. We had to spend 9mo chasing the utility company to get them to come back and disconnect the original connection which their contractors had tarmacced over when they made the new connection. It was only my threats to start using the now unmetered original supply that galvanised them into action :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:37 am
McSwede wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:44 pm New Viessmann boiler, CH pipework and Matt black cast iron rads fitted last week. Very pleased!!

Found exactly the same with our boiler. Bath filling time has more than halved - probably more like 30% of the time it used to take.
It's made a massive difference! And the boiler is so quiet too.