The House Projects Thread

McSwede

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by McSwede »

Ascender wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:15 am Top tip. If you do get some metal stuck in your eye while doing DIY*, try not to get any metal stuck in your eye. A succession of doctors coming at you with needles to try and get it out over a number of appointments, over three days, is not pleasant.

I wasn't even doing DIY. No idea how something small and so stunning when seen under a microscope got lodged in my right eye.
Wowsers. Sounds thoroughly unpleasant!! Hope it's ok now?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

McSwede wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:16 am
Ascender wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:15 am Top tip. If you do get some metal stuck in your eye while doing DIY*, try not to get any metal stuck in your eye. A succession of doctors coming at you with needles to try and get it out over a number of appointments, over three days, is not pleasant.

I wasn't even doing DIY. No idea how something small and so stunning when seen under a microscope got lodged in my right eye.
Wowsers. Sounds thoroughly unpleasant!! Hope it's ok now?
There's still some in there they couldn't get out but they say it "should fall out over time". So hopefully no long term damage.

The ring of rust that's formed will also fade I'm told...
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Lovely. :? I have had some minor eye surgery to remove a “thing” from one eyeball. It’s thoroughly unpleasant watching sharp objects approaching eh?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Yeah, really disconcerting. First hospital were surprised when my eye was blinking/flinching as they stuck something in to it. "Maybe we'll put some anaesthetic in first."

Then when it became obvious it was embedded, the needles came out.
Cheers,

Mike.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Looks like my house project is going to take a swerve from a 2 story extension to moving to a house with an annex for my Mum.

Lockdown isolation hit her hard (even though I refused to leave her alone through the whole thing and kept up visits she didn't see many others) and she dropped the bombshell that she wanted to sell up and ideally move in with us (failing that get a flat close to us). A house a 5 minute walk from us has come up that ticks all boxes and we've started prep to sell her bungalow (should be on the market in a couple of weeks), we have a viewing booked on the place next tuesday.
Not looking forward to this, I'd rather have the disruption of the extension!
Foz

Post by Foz »

Clambering about on the roof today to measure up 4 no roof lights, all old single glazed units, fixed double glazed units are not plentiful, they are all providing light only and I don’t need the opening, velux and fakro options seems fairly limited- I don’t need any to open.
The smallest is only 380x530mm (glazed/plasterboard size) the overall unit is circa 500x750.

There’s 2x 435x690mm

Largest is 780x950mm with a similar overlap as the small one.

Anyone done similar recently?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

The joiner has been here today to fit some doors. First two went ok as they were a little fiddly due to the slim line frame. We are having a 3m barn door kit fitted for the double doors going into the kitchen. That took a bit of doing but it's done and integrated nicely. Unfortunately, whilst fitting the hangers to the first door he drilled the frame and just clipped the edge of the glass within the frame and the whole thing shattered. Nearly shat myself as it sounded like a gun going off 😂

I've ordered another one so will have to wait a few days for it to arrive then he'll come and fit it.

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Been there done the metal in the eye thing a few years ago. Thought it was just a bit of grit but got increasingly irritating over a few days so went to the docs who made an emergency appointment at the hospital. They did the whole drops and pointy things into the eye thing. Pretty unpleasant experience but the relief when it was removed was worth it. What looked like a tiny dot was about a 1mm long spike into the eye.

A few months later I got another but decided to DIY it by magnetising a craft knife blade and using a magnifying mirror with my good eye to see what I was doing 😂

I now wear my normal glasses with safety spec lenses plus a face shield for even minor grinding.
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:42 am Been there done the metal in the eye thing a few years ago. Blah blah blah.

A few months later I got another but decided to DIY it by magnetising a craft knife blade and using a magnifying mirror with my good eye to see what I was doing 😂
You are Harold Ian Mortimer AICMFP.

Ascender

Post by Ascender »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:42 am A few months later I got another but decided to DIY it by magnetising a craft knife blade and using a magnifying mirror with my good eye to see what I was doing 😂

I now wear my normal glasses with safety spec lenses plus a face shield for even minor grinding.
👏🏻
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:43 am Person buying the house that our buyers are selling have decided at the 11th hour, they want an Engineers survey on the chimney stack - thus putting completion by the end of June in jeopardy and bringing back the spectre of Stamp Duty...🤬

Can’t be helped but really pissed off!!
Whole chain is now at risk of imploding unfortunately - chains fucking suck.

Engineers recommended "Belt and Braces" work, not essential (the chimney hasn't moved a millimetre in 48 years so unlikely to now) but won't do any harm. The buyer wants our buyer to cover the cost - they've already made a generous offer but she's refused and want more.

for the first time, I get the sense that they're being grifted.

Estate Agent is going back with another offer which I suspect will be rejected. Failing that, I'm prepared to throw in £1k on the strict condition that we complete by the 30th - miss that date and all bets are off. £1k to save £6.5k.

I don't even know yet what this will mean for our purchase, whether our seller will wait for another customer etc.

It's a ballache... :evil:

Edit - Gone... The buyer has pulled out... Fuck!!!!!!
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Just finished the refurb on the place in London:

No rest for the wicked - the next Edinburgh one should get finished tomorrow!
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Why wouldn't you just do those extra two tiles above the toilet?! 😀
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Rich B wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:38 pm Why wouldn't you just do those extra two tiles above the toilet?! 😀
The fish-eye angle makes it look like 2 missing tiles, but actually in real life it looks like a natural blend from the tiled section to the painted section (the wall to the right of the toilet is painted, rather than tiled)
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Like buses, you wait ages, then two come in the same week:

Just finished this one in Edinburgh too. Lots of pressure to get this one done fast - a friend is moving in after her dream-house purchase fell through and she'd already given notice on her stop-gap. Meant the deadline got brought forward by 5-6 days, and we had to do the final couple of days while tripping over her furniture!

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We complete on our sale on Tuesday and on the Purchase on the 27th

Only took 7 months… :roll:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

My sale is completing in about four weeks and with two purchases having fallen through looks like I’ll be renting for a while. Not much coming on the market at the moment either.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

The new main bathroom was finished yesterday. Needs painting and toilet roll holder bits but we now have a separate shower for kids and guests. Sadly, it is far nicer than the en-suite! :D

New internal doors next week and the back doors coming soon.
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

Thought this would be as good as place as any to ask...

Our house is on the market and the plan is to downsize and be relatively mortgage free. So we've put off viewing any actual houses for fear pf getting our hopes up and missing out. Today we decided we may as well look at a couple of houses that need work as they're decent enough and also to get back into the habit of looking at stuff etc.
First house owned for years by an elderly person needs full heating as old storage heaters ain't the best, new kitchen & wall knocking down to make it open plan. 3rd bedroom is an old style "box" room so needs either seriously thinking about or swapping for the large bathroom at the back - this is obvs big job as all waste and water run straight down to back of the house and the kitchen is underneath too. Rest of house just needs full decorating and tidying. Good location and gardens etc good. Nice garage and store is a bonus. However theres a query been mentioned by the agent about asbestos in the porch .

Second property is ex rental & needs full decor and refresh. Front and back garden doing and really thats it. 3 decent bedrooms which will do us for now. However there is asbestos in the porch ( owner is fixing this before sale ) but there is also asbestos roof to the garage ( owner not touching this at all) . We have done several projects before but never come across an asbestos problem, so we don't know how bad it is. I know the fibres are dangerous when you disturb them and we would want to clear it all before we re-sold in a few years. But how bad is it all to get rid of?

The first property is the one we'd make more money on but as we are downsizing due to poor health ( I'm still long covid and wife's health not too great) would it be worth the stress and mither. It's top end of budget but reckon a cheeky cash offer could secure it. The second is easier to do but wouldn't make us as much in the long run but has confirmed asbestos to sort.

What are peoples experiences with asbestos? Plan is to live there for 5 years max before selling up and moving somewhere isolated ;)
Cockwobble
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Funny thing with asbestos as you said is it’ll sit quite safely aslong as it’s solid but as soon as it’s disturbed it’s dangerous- you won’t know if you’ve fucked yourself for about 10 years plus. If you get someone in to remove it they have to be registered to get rid of it- there’s plenty of people out there who will gladly take it down but leave it for you to dispose of (which is operating illegally) Your local recycling centre will take the stuff, but usually by appointment only, as it’s kept in a locked container.

Should add they you can legally tackle the job yourself as it’s your own property, but you need to be fully aware of the risks.