The House Projects Thread

Simon

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Simon »

McSwede wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:45 pm Old Mira sport 9kw was starting to play up so I bought another. It gave up the ghost this evening so I set about my first shower swap. I'd got a new sport 9kw for an easy changeover and easy it was!! Happy days.

End of report. 😂

Tomorrow is last day of work on the new build 🎉. Spark is coming at 9am to fit the usb-c rapid charge twin sockets I've obtained as well as install the 2 Hue light fittings. The plaster is drying nicely and it all looks fab. Fitters are back in the afternoon to do a little snagging and that's them done.

First class from start to finish by Solarframe. Project coordinator at the office keep in regular contact telling me when each of the teams would be arriving, all turned up on time and on the right day. They've been clean, tidy, polite and done a good job.

We're very very happy with it and would recommend them. Exceeded my expectations!

Now just got to paint, floor, furnish, etc.... 😂

Joiner coming tomorrow too to fit some new doors and a sliding barn door kit in the living room.
Pics when it's finished please.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

jamcg wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:18 pm
McSwede wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:45 pm Old Mira sport 9kw was starting to play up so I bought another. It gave up the ghost this evening so I set about my first shower swap. I'd got a new sport 9kw for an easy changeover and easy it was!! Happy days.

End of report. 😂
Word of advice- go back and check the cable connections tomorrow, the big cables have a tendency to settle, which can cause a loose connection
Good call. Thanks.
mik

Post by mik »

Finally put the living room telly on the wall yesterday - I had put up the (low profile) wall mount at the weekend so sparky did the hard stuff - power socket, aerial and he also pulled through a new toslink cable that I use to connect TV to the stereo. Only took a year or so to organise…. :roll:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

When we get our new hall telly, I'm just going to pay John Lewis to do the lot.

Because if I don't, it will take me far to long to get around it it. I'm a "you don't have to remind me every year" sort of DIY bloke :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:05 am When we get our new hall telly, I'm just going to pay John Lewis to do the lot.

Because if I don't, it will take me far to long to get around it it. I'm a "you don't have to remind me every year" sort of DIY bloke :lol:
Isn’t everyone? I’m a fully qualified tradesman and still do this at home 😂
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

To be fair I would have flung it up “immediately” if I was confident doing more electrical stuff. I am happy swapping out light switches and stuff (just fitted new dimable bulbs and a dimmer to the living room) but not so keen to go much deeper.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve just ordered 60 halogen bulbs. Can’t be arsed to change out every dimmable light switch in the flat just so I can fit some shite led bulbs 🙄
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:20 pm I’ve just ordered 60 halogen bulbs. Can’t be arsed to change out every dimmable light switch in the flat just so I can fit some shite led bulbs 🙄
Just buy dimmable leds 🤷‍♂️
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Simon wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:28 pm

End of report. 😂

Tomorrow is last day of work on the new build 🎉. Spark is coming at 9am to fit the usb-c rapid charge twin sockets I've obtained as well as install the 2 Hue light fittings. The plaster is drying nicely and it all looks fab. Fitters are back in the afternoon to do a little snagging and that's them done.

First class from start to finish by Solarframe. Project coordinator at the office keep in regular contact telling me when each of the teams would be arriving, all turned up on time and on the right day. They've been clean, tidy, polite and done a good job.

We're very very happy with it and would recommend them. Exceeded my expectations!

Now just got to paint, floor, furnish, etc.... 😂

Joiner coming tomorrow too to fit some new doors and a sliding barn door kit in the living room.
Pics when it's finished please.
The sparky has done the lights and sockets 👍

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

jamcg wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:51 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:20 pm I’ve just ordered 60 halogen bulbs. Can’t be arsed to change out every dimmable light switch in the flat just so I can fit some shite led bulbs 🙄
Just buy dimmable leds 🤷‍♂️
Don’t work, the dimmable switches in my flat need a minimum load of a few hundred watts so any LED bulbs just = disco strobe party.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito is correct - you need proper (expensive) LED dimmers to correctly dim an LED bulb. I put one in the nippers nursery. It wasn't cheap.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

I used one of these in brushed steel. It was £17.50.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123905611125 ... SwXi1de4ci
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Simon wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:16 pm Mito is correct - you need proper (expensive) LED dimmers to correctly dim an LED bulb. I put one in the nippers nursery. It wasn't cheap.
Not necessarily true. Decent LEDs needn't be too expensive and buy a dimmer that the lighting company uses. Easy compared to trying to get random led lamps working with random dimmers. It's a bloody minefield.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’d need 5 dimmer switches and 40 bulbs just to cover the main rooms. Vs just buying a load of halogens for £1 each. The choice is obvious 😂
But I guess I won’t be able to sleep at night knowing that I’m contributing to killing penguins. Actually I’m on Octopus energy so it doesn’t even matter.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:33 pm I’d need 5 dimmer switches and 40 bulbs just to cover the main rooms. Vs just buying a load of halogens for £1 each. The choice is obvious 😂
But I guess I won’t be able to sleep at night knowing that I’m contributing to killing penguins. Actually I’m on Octopus energy so it doesn’t even matter.
The thing is, even after quite a few years, LED rarely matches the quality of light that you get from a traditional bulb, unless you spend £££, and their colour tends to change a you dim them.
Other than three zones of Hue that's linked into the KNX in our flat, I'm still on halogen GU10s, and I used to do lighting design!
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:33 pm I’d need 5 dimmer switches and 40 bulbs just to cover the main rooms. Vs just buying a load of halogens for £1 each.
I only have one room that I felt any desire to put a dimmer into. I defo don’t need a dimmer in the hall, downstairs loo, hall cupboard etc.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

mik wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:16 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:33 pm I’d need 5 dimmer switches and 40 bulbs just to cover the main rooms. Vs just buying a load of halogens for £1 each.
I only have one room that I felt any desire to put a dimmer into. I defo don’t need a dimmer in the hall, downstairs loo, hall cupboard etc.
That's just the bedrooms, kitchen and living room which are already on dimmers. I'd say the dimmers are pretty essential though as there's too many lights for such a small space. Feels too bright with everything on full.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Hoping to see our Phos led units in action next week. We opted for the latest dim-to-warm functionality.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Top tip. If you do get some metal stuck in your eye while doing DIY*, try not to get any metal stuck in your eye. A succession of doctors coming at you with needles to try and get it out over a number of appointments, over three days, is not pleasant.

I wasn't even doing DIY. No idea how something small and so stunning when seen under a microscope got lodged in my right eye.
Cheers,

Mike.