The House Projects Thread

Swervin_Mervin

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

jamcg wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:05 pm That setup does look reasonably basic in its operation, without seeing the installation details I’m not certain how it works, as I usually expect to see adjustable flow restrictors with a glass vial to read the actual flow on (the red bits on rich’s set up). This is to balance the various circuits to ensure even distribution of heat around the various coils.

My personal preference would always be the John guest speedfit setup, purely because of the use of barrier pipe. In the past hep2o pipe never had a barrier and was porous to air ingress, which causes a strange type of oxidisation, it creates flakes that can completely block and cripple a heating system- nothing prevents it, even copious amounts of inhibitor- so I have a distrust of non-barrier plastic pipes like in those setups pictured.

Control wise most can be linked up to any type of room thermostat, again not sure on the other systems but the John guest system can have electronic actuator valves on each individual circuit so can give control over which areas get heat or not, as opposed to rich’s which looks like everything comes on together
Cheers for the info jam. You've thrown me a few curveballs there! Not least the barrier pipe issue. Think I might get quotes for digging up the concrete floor and replacing with a std setup, and then a quote for JK to just do the routing. The rest of the setup to be done by someone else. We'll be having a new boiler and smart system as well, so we'd need someone else on board anyway.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:45 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:21 pm Control-wise it has the same wireless thermostat as the guys in link Swerves vid use.
I figured that part of your system out fairly quickly :lol:
wait until you try and programme that thermostat, “intuitive” is not a word the designers ever considered!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I'd been looking at electric UFH which I'd fit myself but don't know a great deal about it yet. Need to do more looking.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My parents fitted electric UFH to all the tiled areas of their house 6 years ago, it gets really hot when turned up! Prior to that I rented a flat for a few years which had it throughout and it was also good, I just had that on year round and never needed the central heating on.
Last edited by Mito Man on Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:04 pm My parents fitted electric UFH to all the tiled areas of their house 6 years ago, it gets really hot when turned up! Prior to that I rented a flat for a few years which had it throughout and it was also good, I just had that on year round and never needed the heating on.
Errr... Explain again what the UFH acronym means?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

McSwede wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:53 pm I'd been looking at electric UFH which I'd fit myself but don't know a great deal about it yet. Need to do more looking.
I fitted a system (need to check what it was later) to our small 6 square metre bathroom. It works incredibly well, 24 degrees in the morning when we wake up and 28 in comfort mode comfort, set to 20 at all other times and to 12 in manual when we are on holiday.

We don’t really notice it being on oddly, though we also have a big towel radiator in there as well on the central heating. You need a towel radiator imo still. We would get an electric one though to use it during the summer as well. We certainly notice when I’ve forgotten to take it out of manual every so often and the tiled floor is no fun early in the morning.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:24 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:04 pm My parents fitted electric UFH to all the tiled areas of their house 6 years ago, it gets really hot when turned up! Prior to that I rented a flat for a few years which had it throughout and it was also good, I just had that on year round and never needed the heating on.
Under floor heating.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:32 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:24 pm
Under floor heating.
Good, stay with me, you're doing well. Read what you wrote before and suggest a sensible edit.
---
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Happy now...
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

McSwede wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:53 pm I'd been looking at electric UFH which I'd fit myself but don't know a great deal about it yet. Need to do more looking.
If you tile on top of it leave it for 2 weeks before using it and then put it on manual mode and creep the temperature up gradually, helps the adhesive cure naturally and allow the floor to adjust to the temperature without any kind of thermal shock. Check the instructions of whatever system you choose- some insist on being screeded over, some can be tiled directly
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:53 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:21 pm Control-wise it has the same wireless thermostat as the guys in link Swerves vid use.
wait until you try and programme that thermostat, “intuitive” is not a word the designers ever considered!
Unless there’s some fancy modes with floor temperature sensing or it’s bus wiring, then they can be changed for any programmable room thermostat, underfloor heating is pretty basic in its operation, so if it’s a nightmare might be worth asking your installer
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:47 pmHappy now...
Well done, you get a gold star sticker!
---
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I’ve installed two electric systems in my bathrooms (both “Warm up” kits) they’re pretty simple to install.

Aside from the nice warm tiles underfoot, the other Best thing about using UFH in a bathroom is it evaporates water off it so it’s so much easier to keep the tiles looking clean.

In my little en suite wet room I added a fairly expensive electric towel rail too - which has never been turned on because the flooring is more than enough.

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

jamcg wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:55 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:53 pm

Unless there’s some fancy modes with floor temperature sensing or it’s bus wiring, then they can be changed for any programmable room thermostat, underfloor heating is pretty basic in its operation, so if it’s a nightmare might be worth asking your installer
The missus has worked it out And programmed it, that’s as far as my interest goes.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I've been meaning to ask this, but I'm sure it's been answered somewhere in the previous 30 pages; why electric over hot water UFH, or vice versa?

Is electric less efficient for large rooms, or is it just a case of convenience of installation? IE if you're having plumbing work done and the floors getting lifted anyway, you might as well put water based UFH in 'while you're there'?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Wet is generally considered to be considerably more economic to run for larger areas, with leccy generally better advised for small areas like bathrooms. It's quicker to heat up and the cost to run over a small area is low.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Electric is also lower profile and can be installed over the top of an existing floor
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The best thing about electric is it’s quick to heat and independent from the rest of the heating system. We regularly chuck the floor on to 28 when the boys are having a bath and it dries quickly, is very warm for them which even in summer is nice.

Dave!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

One positive of being stuck at home is that I’ve managed to get my boys playhouse build underway, I figured that if we’re all stuck at home then having somewhere else to play and encourage us all outside is a good thing. I ordered a load of materials a few weeks ago and started 2 weekends ago.

I’ve run out of materials now unfortunately, so it’ll just be a case of neatening it up For use and putting some roofing felt on before I do the next bits (roof windows, slide, side garage, cladding,etc)

The plans:

So far:

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Thats fantastic 8-)