The House Projects Thread

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Jobbo »

Not quite prep for our extension - my wife decided she couldn’t live with the old vinyl floor in the kitchen abc utility room any longer. Despite having lived with it for 4 years and the fact it’ll be replaced when we do our kitchen extension, so in the next 6-12 months.

I spent quite a lot of hours (about 5 I think) removing the old vinyl floor in anticipation of fitting a new one today. It was not enjoyable.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Wow, on the warmest day of the year too. Couldn't you have feigned a back injury or some such?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Not really, the new one was booked in for fitting today.

As my wife said, I probably shouldn't have gone for a 33 mile cycle first. But I honestly didn't expect the old adhesive to put up such a fight.
Simon

Post by Simon »

If you think scraping old vinyl is bad, just wait until you try and remove old floor tiles. It took us forever.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If Treina had said that I would have handed her the scraper 😂

Dave!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:02 am If Treina had said that I would have handed her the scraper 😂

Dave!
I nearly did :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:24 am
V8Granite wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:02 am If Treina had said that I would have handed her the scraper 😂

Dave!
I nearly did :lol:
What was she doing at yours?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

:D
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swift progress. It'll be water tight tomorrow and ready for internal work. Happy!!

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Person buying the house that our buyers are selling have decided at the 11th hour, they want an Engineers survey on the chimney stack - thus putting completion by the end of June in jeopardy and bringing back the spectre of Stamp Duty...🤬

Can’t be helped but really pissed off!!
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:43 am Person buying the house that our buyers are selling have decided at the 11th hour, they want an Engineers survey on the chimney stack - thus putting completion by the end of June in jeopardy and bringing back the spectre of Stamp Duty...🤬

Can’t be helped but really pissed off!!
Pass that risk down the chain.

Say if no completion by EO June then the price increases by your new stamp duty liability.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Risky...

Our buyer or theirs might just pull out...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Not quite the same but a few weeks a go whilst trying to purchase a house, the people I was buying from decided they didn't want to sell the day we were exchanging. Assume it screwed over the whole chain. Great experience as a first time buyer... It's even more frustrating now as house prices have gone up a lot since the beginning of the year when they accepted my offer.

Hopefully it works out Dinny.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It's a crazy system - the amount of financial risk everyone has to take on. The whole chain can just fall apart on the whim of one link.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I hope it goes through smoothly!!!

Ours was the easiest you could ask for, it was a re-possession, we paid asking and everything was agreed. No chain and us as first time buyers with an approved mortgage.

Apart from solicitors adding random charges with no explanation.

Estate agents putting it back on the market twice.

Generally everyone bar the bank and us lying.

My Grans place is being sold, all agreed and they know the people buying. The solicitors insisted they have a Radon test, which can apparently take 3 months and the solicitors want to hold back £1000 and charge £500 for holding plus the cost of the test. In an area with a very low risk and no-one buying or selling wants it. The whole game is an excuse for lies and deceit.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:51 am It's a crazy system - the amount of financial risk everyone has to take on. The whole chain can just fall apart on the whim of one link.
Why I've never understood the idea in the first place. Doesn't work that way in Denmark either. You buying isn't contingent on someone buying yours first. There's never a chain.
---
Simon

Post by Simon »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:33 am Risky...

Our buyer or theirs might just pull out...
If they get on board they could also increase the price etc. So the person that stalls is putting their investment in the process at risk.
Simon

Post by Simon »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:02 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:51 am It's a crazy system - the amount of financial risk everyone has to take on. The whole chain can just fall apart on the whim of one link.
Why I've never understood the idea in the first place. Doesn't work that way in Denmark either. You buying isn't contingent on someone buying yours first. There's never a chain.
So if you are moving up to a bigger house how does it work? Surely a lot of your capital is then tied up in your old place?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

The lender provides a bridging loan.
---
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Bridging loans were common in Ireland up until the 1980’s recession but then never returned...