The House Projects Thread

240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by 240PP »

I took a sledgehammer to a coal bunker in a garden once. I loved it!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

McSwede wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:53 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:12 pm Are you having a hand in the demolition? I think I'd be itching to have a go! I have what many would probably consider a fairly irrational hatred of conservatories though. And porches :lol:
Am I fuck 😂 That's what I'm paying them for. I'm keeping the double doors and a single glazed unit for potential garden office build at some point.
Booo. I was gutted that, whilst I wasn't looking, the kitchen fitters buggered off with the Belfast sink that we've been suffering with for 9yrs. I was going to do my best to smash that f***er up, but they had it away :cry:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We've been informed by our conveyance solicitors that we need to arrange Buildings Insurance Cover from the point of exchange ? Is this right / typical.

We may have done this when we last bought but that was 15 years ago.

What would happen if damage was caused to the building between exchange and completion - say when the sellers are moving out. On who's insurance would the claim be ?
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

dinny_g wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:11 pm We've been informed by our conveyance solicitors that we need to arrange Buildings Insurance Cover from the point of exchange ? Is this right / typical.

What would happen if damage was caused to the building between exchange and completion - say when the sellers are moving out. On who's insurance would the claim be ?
Its probably a condition of the mortgage. Even so if the house burns down after exchange you are still obliged to buy it, so i wouldn't rely on the vendor having insurance :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

240PP wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:15 am I took a sledgehammer to a coal bunker in a garden once. I loved it!
When I was a kid there was a derelict industrial space near my mate's house. A couple of warehouses and an office building. We smashed the shit out of that place before it was torn down to build a Tesco.

Excellent fun :lol:
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Carlos wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:16 pm
dinny_g wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:11 pm We've been informed by our conveyance solicitors that we need to arrange Buildings Insurance Cover from the point of exchange ? Is this right / typical.

Its probably a condition of the mortgage. Even so if the house burns down after exchange you are still obliged to buy it, so i wouldn't rely on the vendor having insurance :lol:
Makes sense Carlos - I just don't remember doing that first time out but I probably didn't worry about such things then. I'm one hell of a worrier these days... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:56 am
McSwede wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:53 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:12 pm Are you having a hand in the demolition? I think I'd be itching to have a go! I have what many would probably consider a fairly irrational hatred of conservatories though. And porches :lol:
Am I fuck 😂 That's what I'm paying them for. I'm keeping the double doors and a single glazed unit for potential garden office build at some point.
Booo. I was gutted that, whilst I wasn't looking, the kitchen fitters buggered off with the Belfast sink that we've been suffering with for 9yrs. I was going to do my best to smash that f***er up, but they had it away :cry:
Today's picture is a little different. You do get to see the original back door which was boxed in whenever the original conservatory was erected 😂😂 Who does shit like that 😂

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Is the back door full height inside, so it looks like you could still open it?
Quite special!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

People do some weird shit
Foz

Post by Foz »

turn the radiator down :P
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Foz wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:35 pm turn the radiator down :P
And take your washing off it now :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:49 pm Is the back door full height inside, so it looks like you could still open it?
Quite special!
You maybe could if it weren't for the kitchen units over it on the inside 😂

Radiator is off BTW and what you can't see is the microbore that goes from that rad up and around the double door frame that's behind the OSB board then back through the wall. Comedy gold some of the stuff that's been done on this house previously
Beany

Post by Beany »

Foz wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:35 pm turn the radiator down :P
"Fucks sake, all your doing is heating up the rest of the street"

As I used to get told for having the heating on while smoking in the bedroom with the window open :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Had the day off to complete a project today. I'd never been happy with the way the patio edging had been left - basically a timber upstand with the raw edge of the stone on top. In some places it had an acute angle which was just waiting for an accident to happen with a 3 year old running around. So, my plan was to set sleepers along the edge to give it a more finished look with the option to put a rounded/chamfered edge if I want to for safety.

Before:

I had to cut a recess to get the timber underneath the stone as it stuck out 15-20mm in places and cut the sleepers down as they were too deep, so I had to do a LOT of cutting/lifting.

Pretty pleased with how it's come out - I'm not sure what I'll do with the edge yet and whether I'll stain it.

Simon

Post by Simon »

Looks great.

I'd be inclined to route a 5-10mm radius edge on the new sleepers just to round it off.

Also is that sitting on the hardcore under the patio or just the soil?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

That looks way better 😎
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

They're not really relying on their own footing (soil), as they're fixed (screwed) to the other sleepers, which have full on concreted in bases. If they were supporting anything but themselves, I'd have done the same and given them a proper base.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:28 pm That looks way better 😎
cheers - and that's a club hammer in the 2nd to last photo btw.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Looks good @Rich B. Where did you get those patio slabs from btw, we're just looking for something very similar to those at the moment...
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Ascender wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:53 am Looks good @Rich B. Where did you get those patio slabs from btw, we're just looking for something very similar to those at the moment...
it's silver Indian sandstone.

I have had a bit of a love/hate relationship with it so far. It takes a while for all the salts to come out of it (sun/rain brings them out) and it ends up looking all patchy until you clean it off - also mud is very hard to clean off.

Eventually all the salt will be out and I'll be able to seal it, but it is a bit of work for the first 6 months or so.