The House Projects Thread

GG.

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by GG. »

Looks to have a bit of a dip in the middle... your roof may need attention too ;)

What stone did you go for in the end?
Simon

Post by Simon »

I don't see a patio. I see a huge outdoor Scalextric space.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

This is the stone. 102m sq of the stuff.
https://www.kebur.co.uk/product/kebur-m ... in-paving/

I'd thought about dartboard or table football but not Scalextric. Hmm...
Left over crest; tightens.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Says it is £52 per sq meter - the pavers were five grand?! Pricey!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Yeah, about that.
Left over crest; tightens.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Simon wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:37 am Any chance of a look at your plans for the conservatory replacement @McSwede? Would like to see the before/afterness of it all.
No plans as such as old conservatory was built on elevated foundations so those are being utilised and new glazing and doors replacing the old along with a new side wall and a proper roof. I've a couple of Beany spec photos of a mock up but I'll take some photos of the old one for you and others when they start.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ok thanks. Are you going with a 'proper' tiled roof or one of those new hybrid plastic tiled roofs?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Simon wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:59 pm Ok thanks. Are you going with a 'proper' tiled roof or one of those new hybrid plastic tiled roofs?
This is the roof that'll be on it. Coated metal tiles on an aluminium space frame roof that's double insulated. Lightweight but fine for me to walk on (should I choose to do so 😂)

https://solarframe.co.uk/conservatories ... placement/
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

New boiler fitted - it's a beast of a thing, like having an appliance hanging on the wall! Was a 2 day job and they also sorted out a load of weird pipe runs and restrictions. Annoyingly the smart meter only has 15mm connections so that throttles everything coming into the house. However, the combination of what they have been able to sort has had a drastic effect on the upstairs supply. It was always only ok, and would drop to a trickle if any other outlet was opened - usually the wife putting hte washing machine on whilst I'm in the shower.

Well, no more! The difference in flow is amazing and this morning's shower was incredble 8-)

Evohome also installed. The only issue was my thinking I was being cunning and cheap by only getting stats for the two downstairs rads, and having the controller upstairs to control that - downstairs gets colder than upstairs hence even if upstairs isn't calling for it, it gets heat when downstairs is calling for it. What a dumbass. :lol: So I'll get another 4 stats ordered today and hopefully iron out that issue.

Builders started the rip out yesterday. Hit weirdness straight away. We understood all floors save for in our rear extension were sprung. Utility floor came up first to assist the plumbers, and sure enough, there's 3.5-4' of space underneath. Oddly not bare earth under there though - what looks like a cast slab instead. Curious given that the foundations are beams on mini-piles, therefore no need for a slab. However, they started to rip up the kitchen floor (original part of the house) and discovered just 3-4" of space beneath with what looks like a slab. So we had a sprung floor but hovering over a slab. Not original either given we know there's 3-4' of air and then bare earth under the front part of hte house as well.

So fvck knows what the previous owner has done :lol: Given the plan was to break out the shoddy concrete floor in the rear extension and convert to suspended floor and then run inter-joist UFH throughout, I'll need to see whether the plan is going to be revised.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:13 am We're going for a second viewing on a place this evening - ticks all the right boxes, almost nothing needs to be done to it (except a bath - they only have a shower room which is a shame because they've spent a fortune on a lively shower room) but it's already been extended, nice big kitchen etc.

My only reservation is that it's the first place we've looked at and there really isn't much else on the offer in the area we're looking in. We dithered a bit in January and missed another nice place so don't' want to miss out again.
Offer made, offer accepted!! :D
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Foz

Post by Foz »

:lol:

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

There’s an ex-brothel If ever I’ve seen one :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Foz

Post by Foz »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:04 am There’s an ex-brothel If ever I’ve seen one :lol:
Ex guest house :idea:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

You hope... ;)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

What are you planning to do with it? 12 bedrooms just sound like 12 lots of bedrooms to decorate, carpet, furnish....!
Foz

Post by Foz »

Open the back end up with glass and remove almost all walls.

That and pull out 3+ En suites...

My mates an architect so we need to come up with a few schemes, such as splitting it, or having the provision for splitting it in the future.

All ideas welcome, I am tempted to make the back a games/cinema room 😂
Foz

Post by Foz »

Top floor will be the master suite, with walk in wardrobe and redo the en suite, the WC is currently avocado :o
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Is it for you to live in or to flip?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It took me a while to find the rooms that aren't bedrooms or bathrooms! :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Braver man than me Foz, I'd have to rip out that ground floor layout and start again from scratch :lol:
An absolute unit