The House Projects Thread

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Gavster »

Major house project update: I've chosen the barrister who's going to draft the Court proceedings against my neighbours (I'm their freeholder) for the breach of their lease, seeking a determination of the Court in contemplation of forfeiture. The solicitors have supplied the case files so hopefully we'll be moving forwards soon. I'd love to post the full story but I frankly don't feel it's a good use of anyone's time 😂. Suffice to say this started in late 2019 when I received an email from my neighbours as I was marketing my flat, saying they'd filed papers with the county court against me. It appears they were calling my bluff in an effort to squeeze the freehold and some money out of me, however that's looks like one of their poorer life choices given the current situation.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Gavster wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:49 pm I'd love to post the full story but I frankly don't feel it's a good use of anyone's time 😂.
We'll be the judge of that!

So what's been going on then?
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

It genuinely is a very long story that goes back to 2016, which I'm not going to post here, at least, not until it's all over and I've got a spare weekend to write it up 😅

The current claim relates to the apparent dilapidation of their flat and the fact they have refused entry to a surveyor to carry out an inspection on three occasions. Hence the next stop is the courts. Of course, there's a loooooot more to it, but that's essentially where we're at.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Best of luck with it then Gav, sounds tiring and stressful if its been going on for that long!
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

^ what he said.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Thanks guys :)
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I wonder how much time and money is it worth investing in a house to get it ready for sale. There's nothing structural needing done, so is it just a case of a lick pf (neutral) paint inside & out, decluttering it and swapping out anything looking tired - i.e. bathroom suites?
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Not much I'd say.

So long as your kitchen and bathroom are "functional", you will not realise back the money you put in. £10k kitchen and bathroom won't increase the sale price by £10k.

Or to put it another way, old kitchens and bathrooms will not reduce the value by £10k. So long as they're functional

Paint and decluttering is key though - and new light units.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Ascender wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:57 am I wonder how much time and money is it worth investing in a house to get it ready for sale. There's nothing structural needing done, so is it just a case of a lick pf (neutral) paint inside & out, decluttering it and swapping out anything looking tired - i.e. bathroom suites?
When we were looking a long while back, I was always more dubious of freshly decorated houses as I instantly thought….

Are they hiding damp?
Was there a crack there?
It smells of paint, does the room smell of dead arse?
What else are they covering up?

I really don’t understand how lucky you have to be to go into a home and not have to decorate yourselves.

Dave!
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Thanks both. Not done this in what seems like a lifetime so always good to get some feedback.
Cheers,

Mike.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:35 am When we were looking a long while back, I was always more dubious of freshly decorated houses as I instantly thought….

Are they hiding damp?
Was there a crack there?
It smells of paint, does the room smell of dead arse?
What else are they covering up?
Same. A full survey later and it turned out I was right.

But you can’t blame people for wanting to present a house well by decorating before sale either *shrug*
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Kitchen design appointment appeared in our shared diary last week.

So it begins.....
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Delphi wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:42 pm Kitchen design appointment appeared in our shared diary last week.

So it begins.....
I hope you've got plenty of lube
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Delphi wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:42 pm Kitchen design appointment appeared in our shared diary last week.

So it begins.....
You have my condolences.

I'm not sure what's worse about these things, the time it takes to pick a supplier and a design, or actually having to pay for it.
Cheers,

Mike.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I'm fully expecting it to cost me £12-15K but nothing's going to be happening this side of Christmas as we're still in the choosing/planning stage. The kitchen does need doing, TBF but I'd rather it happened later on next year.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mini project
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

That'll never fit in a mini.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Looks nice. Reminds me that I should pull my finger out and get some xmas decor out.
How about not having a sig at all?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Staircase ripped out this morning and nice oak one going in this afternoon. 👍

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

McSwede wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:20 am Staircase ripped out this morning and nice oak one going in this afternoon. 👍
Good thing too, better than climbing a ladder to go to bed :lol: