The House Projects Thread

jamcg

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by jamcg »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:21 am I've decided that the new house will require a name. I shall be manufacturing a sign that says "Leyton" in Aquamarine.
Please for the love of god leave a number as well or tradesmen everywhere will be ready to kill you by the time they find your house 😂
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

jamcg wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:05 am
Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:21 am I've decided that the new house will require a name. I shall be manufacturing a sign that says "Leyton" in Aquamarine.
Please for the love of god leave a number as well or tradesmen everywhere will be ready to kill you by the time they find your house 😂
Absolutely. My current place is 1a. We get lots of confused people delivering parcels or takeaways to either myself or next door. I've put a sign up but it confuses many people.

My last place was in a run of houses that were numbered 181, 183, 183a, 185a, 185. 183a didn't have a number outside. We got lots of people asking if we were 183a despite having a sign outside saying 183.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

2nd and final pour today. Weird seeing the corners floating - I'm sat in that room at the moment!

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

jamcg wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:05 am
All the houses on my road have names, and there's no pattern to them. There's even two with the names Rosary and Rosemary a few hundred metres apart. No one can ever find the right ones.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Our little estate has a strange layout. We're no14 but are in-between 6&10 🤔

Delivery drivers hate coming here 😂
Simon

Post by Simon »

I'm number 7 but the first house in the road. 5,3 and 1 are all in a little 'culdesac' off to the left at the start of the road.

My first house should've been 13 as my attached neighbour was 11, but there are no 13's on this estate.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
GG.

Post by GG. »

We moved into the 21st century last night and had a Nest thermostat fitted... eventually.

We have a Worcester boiler with an old "Digistat" wireless thermostat. The bloke fitting it was supposed to come at 6 but turned up at 7.45 - finished fitting it at 8.45 - all seemed to be working...

After about an hour or so it dawned on us that the radiators were not heating up and the boiler was showing this symbol: :evil: Currently around 4 degrees outside so I had a very unhappy wife contemplating the possibility of getting up for the school run with a internal temperature in single digits the next day.

Essentially the old thermostat was not fully disabled and the boiler was receiving conflicting signals and basically would fire up but just tick over and not heat the radiators as I think it didn't know what temperature to get to.

Long story short the guy had to come back at 10:30pm and have a second go! Fixed and working now but why is nothing in life ever simple!! :?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Should have fitted it yourself 😁
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

We have a Nest one - it took a couple of goes to get it working right too, though our heating is fairly complicated because we have a boiler and a megaflow, with radiators on one thermostat and underfloor heating downstairs on another.

I much preferred the Hive system we used to have, but that was just a simple combo boiler system.

On a related note, Women REALLY don't like being cold do they.
GG.

Post by GG. »

No, they really don't. :lol:

Her reaction was broadly similar to if I'd told her I'd lost my job, had shacked up with a mistress and had just changed my car for a new and more impractical one.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I want one of these things, our upstair thermostat is in our bedroom and the clicks seem almost deafening* when you're trying to go to sleep.

I'm told the Nest stuff is not too bad noise wise.

* - some exaggeration may be involved.
GG.

Post by GG. »

It makes clicks when you turn the dial (which can also be switched off) but it otherwise silent.

The sender unit which attaches to the boiler makes a loudish click when it switches on/off but I’m guessing the boiler is not in your bedroom!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We put in a Nest Thermostat into our Rental place when we change over the heading system

Hasn't put a foot wrong to be honest.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rich B wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:14 pm On a related note, Women REALLY don't like being cold do they.
We've had an intermittent fault on our 15 year Baxi Combi for the last 8 weeks which has resulted in pretty much no heating and hot water for 3 minutes at a time. My wife and kids have made it clear that i am at fault :lol:

In the process of replacing the faulty temperature sensors the weeping heat exchanger is now losing a pint a day, i can't take the grief anymore and picked up a new boiler yesterday and having it fitted today. Merry Xmas Carlos
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Carlos wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:08 pm My wife and kids have made it clear that i am at fault :lol:
It's a burden we all bear :lol:

I'm at fault for next door's proposed extension apparently - "you never said it was going to look like that" when she saw the steels going in yesterday...
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:40 pm I want one of these things, our upstair thermostat is in our bedroom and the clicks seem almost deafening* when you're trying to go to sleep.

I'm told the Nest stuff is not too bad noise wise.

* - some exaggeration may be involved.
We have a Drayton Wiser system and its great. The only noise comes from the smart TRV's when they open or close.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I’m always amazed by the large percentage of heating engineers who have no clue at all when it comes to wiring up heating systems
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

jamcg wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:28 pm I’m always amazed by the large percentage of heating engineers who have no clue at all when it comes to wiring up heating systems
Yep. We had a boiler recommissioned after a heroin addict sold all the pipework to the radiators and I'd removed the power lead from the fused switch until everything had been checked out. The guy wouldn't even reconnect the power to the switch to test his work let alone replace the RF Thermostat.

We had to get the electrician back for those bits as our usual plumber understandably wouldn't sign off the other guys work.

It seems to be a younger plumber's problem along with absolutely no idea what to do with a back boiler other than condemn them lol
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Carlos wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:52 pm
jamcg wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:28 pm I’m always amazed by the large percentage of heating engineers who have no clue at all when it comes to wiring up heating systems
Yep. We had a boiler recommissioned after a heroin addict sold all the pipework to the radiators and I'd removed the power lead from the fused switch until everything had been checked out. The guy wouldn't even reconnect the power to the switch to test his work let alone replace the RF Thermostat.

We had to get the electrician back for those bits as our usual plumber understandably wouldn't sign off the other guys work.

It seems to be a younger plumber's problem along with absolutely no idea what to do with a back boiler other than condemn them lol
They also have no idea how to fit anything other than a combi boiler, system boilers and even more so regular boilers confuse hell out of them.

I can always tell when an electrician has wired up a heating system- everything terminates in its own slot in a wiring centre and then there’s a million and one links, just makes it confusing as hell
Beany

Post by Beany »

Carlos wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:08 pm In the process of replacing the faulty temperature sensors the weeping heat exchanger is now losing a pint a day
Jesus shitting christ, my heat exchanger was losing perhaps a pint every three months and I had the landlord send A Man out to look at it - who has, in fairness, almost entirely fixed it; I get a drip once every few months now.

Your family are right to curse you, you monster!