The House Projects Thread

Simon

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Simon »

Got a leaflet through the door for a hedge trimming company. Phoned up for a quote but they wouldn't be able to do any work until "late November". Why bother putting leaflets through doors then?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Building a very long pipeline? (makes no sense)
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It might have just been a very successful leaflet drop!
mik

Post by mik »

Just hedging their bets?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Another project I've been working on over the last couple of months And put in place today, is a new bed for my little boy, he's coming up on 3 so time to ditch the cot and get him into a big bed... he loves tractors so hopefully he'll enjoy it enough to sleep in it! I pretty happy with the way it turned out, even if the paint is a bit iffy in places (the trials of building stuff in a small garage!)

We assembled it earlier together and he was already asking to get in it and turn off the lights!

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

He seems to have his head at the wrong end :) Brill job.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I know! He set himself up that way and put all his cuddly toys the other end!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I assume you’re probably not even furloughed Rich, so I’ve got little excuse for my lack of action around the house in comparison 😄

However, I did dig out the septic tank drains and took out a massive bush in the garden last week, and this week I’m replacing some light fittings and the basin in the main bathroom (well, I hope I am...). All temporary stuff really because the bigger plans keep growing and the budget does not 😂
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]Rich B[/mention] very 8-)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

That's excellent work Rich. 8-)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:34 am I assume you’re probably not even furloughed Rich, so I’ve got little excuse for my lack of action around the house in comparison 😄

However, I did dig out the septic tank drains and took out a massive bush in the garden last week, and this week I’m replacing some light fittings and the basin in the main bathroom (well, I hope I am...). All temporary stuff really because the bigger plans keep growing and the budget does not 😂
Nope, still at work full time, but i still have 90% finished rooms around the house that I need to finish! motivation to do house stuff is not there at the moment, I need a big cash injection (which should happen once they unfreeze commission) to enable me to get the bigger stuff done before doing all those last little tidy up bits!

Cheers all - he loved it last night and slept well!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

[mention]Rich B[/mention] you could probably make a nice little business out of making stuff like that (if you want to). That looks like excellent work.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That’s great [mention]Rich B[/mention] and definitely a business idea there/
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I'd want a workshop with dust extraction and a spray booth before I'd even consider making more!!
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

[mention]Rich B[/mention] Top dad!!! 8-)
M235i
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Rich B wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:27 pm Another project I've been working on over the last couple of months And put in place today, is a new bed for my little boy, he's coming up on 3 so time to ditch the cot and get him into a big bed... he loves tractors so hopefully he'll enjoy it enough to sleep in it! I pretty happy with the way it turned out, even if the paint is a bit iffy in places (the trials of building stuff in a small garage!)

We assembled it earlier together and he was already asking to get in it and turn off the lights!

That looks excellent 8-)

Dave!
Simon

Post by Simon »

So I've spent a lot of the last few weekends fixing the kitchen floor after little'un broke a CH pipe and ruined part of it. New pipework soldered in for the rads, new radiator valves and the floor patched with new plywood and supports. Just need to finish stripping the tiles and get the whole thing covered over with ply ready for the new lino to be laid.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

This is rather lower down the scale than most of the stuff on here, but thought it might be useful for someone 😊

We have a couple of cupboards where a bit of light would be useful, but not so much that I can be arsed wiring proper lights into them.

Bought some of these. On Friday this week they’ll have been up 4months and haven’t needed to be recharged yet.

Clean your surface and affix 2 sticky-backed metal pads - lights are then held onto these by magnets. PIR senses movement and also light levels - won’t come on if there is loads of other light. They generally come in as you open the cupboard, but if not a sweep of the hand brings them on. Only downside is that they are quite easy to knock off, but some thought on the location helps that (and they are v light so a blob of blu-tack is ample to hold them in place)

Beany

Post by Beany »

That's pretty neat.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

when the nipper had a big bed, desk, storage, slide combo in his room, I bought cheapo Ikea strip lights and connected them to a remote control multi adapter. The control was velcro'ed by the door so when he came into the room, he could decide on 3 light levels to turn on.

He loved it - made his bed look like a spaceship.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…