😳
GG.

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by GG. »

RIP bubbles... I mean foxy.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Out of interest who do you call to dispose of bodies?
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Council will do it for £50 but as always with the council speed of response and quality of service are not paramount to them...

We are actually out of London again from tomorrow morning so it needs disposing of today - on that basis I've booked a pest control company that also dispose of animal remains and they will attend within 24 hours (supposedly - they aren't here yet...)
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Is that the fox?! This thread moved so fast that I genuinely couldn’t remember or scroll back a few pages to find out.

That’s some mess. Once i saw the monkey face I couldn’t unsee it....
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:53 am Not nice. Spade, bin bag, hold your nose!
This!!!!

Leave the maggots as they will clear up any juice over the next few days.

I would triple bag it and take it down the tip or into a local woods.

Dave!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ascender wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:08 am This thread moved so fast that I genuinely couldn’t remember or scroll back a few pages to find out.
Then you'll have missed me telling you what saw to buy on the last page. You're welcome.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Simon wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:15 am
Ascender wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:08 am This thread moved so fast that I genuinely couldn’t remember or scroll back a few pages to find out.
Then you'll have missed me telling you what saw to buy on the last page. You're welcome.
Evolution circular saw, £180 I think but not in stock.

Looks good thanks 👍🏻 just trying to juggle looking at pictures of decomposing monkeys, circular saws and hosting a 3 hour conference call with some developers, one of whom sounds exactly like Borat. Its not easy.
Cheers,

Mike.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I bought one from Aldi and it's been perfectly fine. Only £35-£40 iirc

ETA- A corded circular saw not a rotten fox
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

If you have a garden waste bin which has a decent amount of grass clippings in, don’t bag it; bury it in there under the clippings.

This may be a more rural piece of advice; it’s how I dispose of numerous dead animals brought in by our cats.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Thanks, Jobbo - we don't actually have a brown bin as there is limited space outside the front of our house and we have a small garden so don't need it really.

The pest control guys have now been thankfully. They didn't quite fulfill the entire brief of 'disinfecting' the area and have left the writhing mass of maggots behind. To be honest I don't care so much as the mess involved in scooping that up and carrying it through the house is likely not worth it and as per Dave's advice they'll likely clean up whatever is left over and be gone by the time we are back next weekend...
Beany

Post by Beany »

GG. wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:18 pm Thanks, Jobbo - we don't actually have a brown bin as there is limited space outside the front of our house and we have a small garden so don't need it really.

The pest control guys have now been thankfully. They didn't quite fulfill the entire brief of 'disinfecting' the area and have left the writhing mass of maggots behind. To be honest I don't care so much as the mess involved in scooping that up and carrying it through the house is likely not worth it and as per Dave's advice they'll likely clean up whatever is left over and be gone by the time we are back next weekend...
Or the house will look like the set of a low budget SciFi channel horror about flies.

(although in all seriousness, the time between a bluebottle laying an egg, and a maggot turning into a bluebottle and flying off is about a week or so - I expect it'll be a problem that solves itself)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Next weeks thread, how to deal with a bluebottle infestation 😀
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

If the answer isn't fire, then clearly you're not using enough fire.
GG.

Post by GG. »

At some points over the last 24 hours burning down the house and starting again has seemed like the most sensible option.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Sometimes you just need a bottle of bleach.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:18 pm Thanks, Jobbo - we don't actually have a brown bin
Yes, I thought that might be the case. It's so long since I lived within London, wheelie bins weren't then common for normal rubbish let alone having an extra one for garden waste!
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Popped to B&Q to pick up some stuff and they had a JVC circular saw, end of line, for £70 so rather than than over-analysing it I just bought it.
Cheers,

Mike.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Finally starting some work on our old place, starting with windows. Originally wooden sash but replaced with PVC early 90's. Most panes are blown as they were crap quality, but also bodge fitted in front of the old sash frames which were then just architraved over.

We've gone for a modern equivalent in PVC sash which also tilt for cleaning, fitted properly with all the old 1905 frames actually removed this time. Just my daughters window to start as it was the worst one, then we'll replicate around the house as and when we can justify the outlay (at £1150 apiece!).

Not finished yet due to the weather today, but happy with how they will look.
Attachments
IMG-20200824-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200824-WA0000.jpg (240.24 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
IMG-20200824-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20200824-WA0001.jpg (151.53 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

That looks excellent Jon.

We have 1980s uPVC windows which are utterly characterless, and I've been putting off choosing replacements until we know what glazing we'll have in the extension. Fortunately they weren't originally sashes so the cost should be more reasonable :lol: