The House Projects Thread

Simon

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Simon »

Loving your work Jordan.

We've decided in a new TV but are struggling with which unit/stand to pair it with. Not helped by the fact that it sits in the corner of our lounge rather than flat against a wall.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Worth having a mooch around the charity furniture shops, we got a wee sideboard for our telly for like £20 from a shelter one.

Deciding to carry it up three flights of stairs on my own wasn’t the best plan though, it’s very solid :lol:
27F58E45-FD68-464F-80B6-12A66A88B6D4.jpeg
27F58E45-FD68-464F-80B6-12A66A88B6D4.jpeg (68.27 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

The problem is the the restrictions put on the choice between us.

I need a Vesa mount integrated so I can raise the TV a little and put a soundbar in front.
Deb wants:
No glass
No Oak
A door on the front (which will need to be IR compatible for the BR player etc).
Nothing 'high gloss;

Which rules out just about every unit available to us. I think I may have to make our own.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Simon wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:10 pm The problem is the the restrictions put on the choice between us.

I need a Vesa mount integrated so I can raise the TV a little and put a soundbar in front.
Deb wants:
No glass
No Oak
A door on the front (which will need to be IR compatible for the BR player etc).
Nothing 'high gloss;

Which rules out just about every unit available to us. I think I may have to make our own.
Tell Deb she can have anything she wants that's suitable in 24hrs my wife gives up then lol
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

jamcg wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:11 pm Not sure if Xbox will overheat in the tight space but it’s on a shelf with a load of holes drilled in and the rear is fully open so I’ll just use it and see what happens
I have my PS4 in a unit under the telly with a completely open back. If I leave the front door of the unit open when I'm playing it doesn't overheat, but if I forget then it definitely suffers. So you should be OK, I'd say.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The vents on the Xbox are on the side and top. I’d keep an eye on it to check that it’s getting enough airflow to clear the hot air from those areas.
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:08 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:22 pm Oh, is it a balance bike without cranks?
i did wonder if you meant pedals! Yep, it’s just a balance one for now, it’s a cool little thing though - it has a proper V brake on it with internal cable routing and a miniature lever.
We have exactly the same (in green too!). Good isn't it.

The tyres on our sons are are different though - did you swap them over?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:13 am The vents on the Xbox are on the side and top. I’d keep an eye on it to check that it’s getting enough airflow to clear the hot air from those areas.
Used it for steaming Disney+ on last night and didn’t get hot, will have to see when running higher load stuff like games
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Time has come to redo skirting boards... Am I right in thinking the easiest way to strip off the existing paint is with a heat-gun rather than trying to sand it off?
Cheers,

Mike.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:02 pm Time has come to redo skirting boards... Am I right in thinking the easiest way to strip off the existing paint is with a heat-gun rather than trying to sand it off?
Yeah, just be aware if you live in an old house it’s probably full of lead, so masks and plenty of ventilation necessary
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Thanks! Good old Amazon comes to the rescue so that's the rest of the quiet time this week sorted....
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

GG. wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:25 am
Rich B wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:08 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:22 pm Oh, is it a balance bike without cranks?
i did wonder if you meant pedals! Yep, it’s just a balance one for now, it’s a cool little thing though - it has a proper V brake on it with internal cable routing and a miniature lever.
We have exactly the same (in green too!). Good isn't it.

The tyres on our sons are are different though - did you swap them over?
nope, everything’s how it came. I did get a very good price (£108!!!) so maybe it’s old stock or something?

Green was clearly the best colour!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Not really house but my project has been lawn. The back lawn was completely infested with moss. I have raked up a ton of it, treated what was left with some miraclegrow, aerated the lawn and yesterday covered it in a load of new grass seed. Hoping the rain comes today to add some water...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:36 am Not really house but my project has been lawn. The back lawn was completely infested with moss. I have raked up a ton of it, treated what was left with some miraclegrow, aerated the lawn and yesterday covered it in a load of new grass seed. Hoping the rain comes today to add some water...
I iron sulphated ours in Feb. Then Miracle Growed in March. Looks fairly dead now :lol:

I did the front as well, but also scarifying and then seeding but the seed doesn't appear to have taken despite concerted effort to water it every day :evil:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think you’ve left it about a season too late 😂
Luckily it looks like the weather is going to take a turn from this week so it may be alright.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

jamcg wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:17 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:13 am The vents on the Xbox are on the side and top. I’d keep an eye on it to check that it’s getting enough airflow to clear the hot air from those areas.
Used it for steaming Disney+ on last night and didn’t get hot, will have to see when running higher load stuff like games
Ran for a good 90mins this morning on games and no overheating, worked a treat
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:49 am I think you’ve left it about a season too late 😂
Luckily it looks like the weather is going to take a turn from this week so it may be alright.
Totally agree - far too much sun has left the back garden looking like scorched earth. I’m hoping a bit of rain over the next few weeks will turn things around a bit, failing that I might try spreading a bit of topcoat and reseeding again.

Wish I had a scarifier though, still don’t think I have got all the moss out. Might wind up back at square one and having to retreat with miracle grow...
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Why aren't the big DIY chains delivering at the moment, I thought that would be back by now? Amazon must be making an absolute mint from lockdown.

Trying to paint a room a week at the moment so that's the next set of paint ordered...

Does anyone have any ideas about how best to enclose a few small boxes in the corner of the living room - wifi router, maybe an xbox etc. They're all hidden from view, so it doesn't need to be a nice-looking hifi-type stand, just something I can put them in and forget about, to keep the dust to a minimum etc. Thought about a small shelf but that's also just going to make them a dust magnet.
Cheers,

Mike.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Console table? Small sideboard? Basically a piece of furniture. Try Facebook marketplace, you might find something local and cheap
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

More of a rant than a project.

We decided to replace the cooker hood because it’s old and wasn’t working particularly well. I figured that the hard part was already done ie drilling a big fucking hole through the wall for the vent pipe.

Taking the old hood apart, it became apparent that the reason it wasn’t working well was because the old pipework had been fitted together with masking tape so had all come apart so all the grease from cooking wasn’t going out the vent tube but was now coating the inside of the unit. Lovely stuff. I was glad to chuck the whole greasy mess out.

Come to fit the new unit and I’ve realised that they also cut the hole in the wall too small. It’s 100mm rather than the more common 120/125 mm or 150mm and it’s also difficult to enlarge a hole like that so I’m going to have to stick with 100mm venting. At least this time I’ll use proper jubilee clips on the joints so it doesn’t all come apart.

I fucking hate bodge jobs, especially when they’re done by companies that are expensive and trade on their supposed quality (local kitchen firm did all the work before we bought the house, and I’ll never use them for anything after the various horrors I’ve unearthed)
Middle-aged Dirtbag