The House Projects Thread

McSwede

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by McSwede »

GG. wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:46 pm Random question - does anyone have recommendations for LED flood lights?

Our ancient halogen one in the back garden ist kaput so I need to source a replacement and most seem to have transitioned to LED these days.
BELL Lighting do good stuff for sensible money via an electrical wholesaler.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

GG. wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:46 pm Random question - does anyone have recommendations for LED flood lights?

Our ancient halogen one in the back garden ist kaput so I need to source a replacement and most seem to have transitioned to LED these days.
From this Sunday in store Lidl

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl. ... leId=19778
Real-life Females
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

We received a letter in the list today from a builder who had clearly spotted our planning application and was touting for business. Is that a thing now?

We’re the 34th validated planning application in our district this year, based on the reference number allocated. Which is approx 2 per day, so easy enough for anyone to send out letters to householders speculatively.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:56 pm We received a letter in the list today from a builder who had clearly spotted our planning application and was touting for business. Is that a thing now?

We’re the 34th validated planning application in our district this year, based on the reference number allocated. Which is approx 2 per day, so easy enough for anyone to send out letters to householders speculatively.
Yep. It will be builders merchants next with trade discount for a self build subject to minimum spend.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I just fitted a 20w Screwfix jobby to replace a big Halogen for a 10x10m garden and it's ample.
ste

Post by ste »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:56 pm We received a letter in the list today from a builder who had clearly spotted our planning application and was touting for business. Is that a thing now?

Very much a thing, received appriox 50 I reckon.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Been a thing for years. Used to always get calls at my previous place (planning practice) about bloody pallisade fencing and suchlike.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

ste wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:33 am

Oh FFS :cry:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Not a house project but just a ramble about the forestry commission. A few weeks ago I noticed one of their vans and staff having a look around my parents place from outside. They wouldn’t tell me anything and came across quite rude as I wasn’t the owner - anyway I gave them my dad’s contact emails. A few days ago they called him and said they’re doing a survey some time this week and will fell some trees to inspect their health. Apparently their helicopter may have detected spruce bark beetles. They won’t give any information as to how many trees they will fell. Speaking to the farmer today who has more experience with them he says they can be like this, just entering property without even consulting the owner and carrying out these “surveys.”

It’s a bit of a fucking violation isn’t it? Having someone enter your place without telling you when, cut down whatever they want and leave...

Also I find it odd that we have a fleet of government funded helicopters surveying tree health but no government funded air ambulance.

Will see what damage the idiots have done on Saturday...
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

You should go all 'Tony Martin' on them...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:18 pm Apparently their helicopter may have detected spruce bark beetles.
Big beetles if they can see them from a helicopter :lol: I'd keep the BF indoors for a while until they catch them
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sadly yes. We've had about 10.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:18 pm Not a house project but just a ramble about the forestry commission. A few weeks ago I noticed one of their vans and staff having a look around my parents place from outside. They wouldn’t tell me anything and came across quite rude as I wasn’t the owner - anyway I gave them my dad’s contact emails. A few days ago they called him and said they’re doing a survey some time this week and will fell some trees to inspect their health. Apparently their helicopter may have detected spruce bark beetles. They won’t give any information as to how many trees they will fell. Speaking to the farmer today who has more experience with them he says they can be like this, just entering property without even consulting the owner and carrying out these “surveys.”

It’s a bit of a fucking violation isn’t it? Having someone enter your place without telling you when, cut down whatever they want and leave...

Also I find it odd that we have a fleet of government funded helicopters surveying tree health but no government funded air ambulance.

Will see what damage the idiots have done on Saturday...
where can I get some of these beetles???!! I’ve got a tree with a preservation order on I’d love to see cut down
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They’re coming from Europe. Just another reason to wish for brexit to happen. Fucking foreign beetles, coming here, taking our trees...
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 pm

why sadly? Sounds like great opportunity to find builders interested in your project to get quotes from.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I thought builders were so busy they didn’t need to tout for business? The one we’ve had so far gives no address, no email address, just a mobile number at the end of quite a long pre-printed letter. Doesn’t fill me with confidence.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:07 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 pm

why sadly? Sounds like great opportunity to find builders interested in your project to get quotes from.
If the letters, as Jobbo said, had been anything other than a standard form, then maybe. I class those in the same category as any other unsolicited mail and I wouldn't deal with them unless they've got good reviews on one of the checking/vetting sites, where I would go to find them in the first place.
---
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Still a few bits to sort (the kitchen fitters have been hard work) but it’s nearly there. Had a chance to tidy it up about 3 nanoseconds before it was consumed by toys again for a few photos:

I’m trying to tick off a room at a time now - downstairs wc next, then utility, then front room, then hall.... I may be some time!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Looks good! I can't see any ventilation over the hob, how do you handle grease/smells/steam?
---
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:51 pm Looks good! I can't see any ventilation over the hob, how do you handle grease/smells/steam?
there’ll be an extractor eventually - I’ve run out of money for now!