The House Projects Thread

Carlos

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Carlos »

Is it asbestos corrugated sheets ?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

My parents garage is 4m wide by 8m long and it was £1000 to have the asbestos roof removed in a proper asbestos skip.

I wouldn’t worry at all.

Dave!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

If it's a small area. It was about £30 per sheet to take to the council tip in a trailer a few years ago but you had to double wrap it in plastic.

Its pretty stable, wet it before moving it, wear a mask and bag/bin clothes when done.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If you can pay someone else £1000 to avoid cancer yourself then that's a bloody good deal.
How about not having a sig at all?
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

Carlos wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:33 pm Is it asbestos corrugated sheets ?
Yep, concrete walls but asbestos roof. Owner has said they'll sort asbestos in the porch prior to sale so thought they'd be as well doing the garage at the same time.
Cockwobble
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:14 pm If you can pay someone else £1000 to avoid cancer yourself then that's a bloody good deal.
This!
I'd have no problem doing it myself if it was normal construction but wouldn't risk DIY on asbestos. I know the process seems straight forward to remove but I just wouldn't risk the 'ticking health time bomb' associated with it.
Cockwobble
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

A small update but I have changed my kitchen tap for the third time this year :lol:
Having a small worktop the kettle and the associated extension lead was annoying me so I bought one of these boiling death taps.
Easy enough to fit as I luckily have a bunch of sockets under the sink.
I don’t believe the claim that it’s cheaper that a kettle to run though in terms of electricity. That must be VW emissions type nonsense as I now have a heated cupboard and this mini boiler is maintaining that temperature 24/7.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

86C is way too low to make a decent cup of tea. Does it boil it to 100C on demand?

Looks particularly unsafe directly under the socket there. Just hope it never leaks steam.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It goes up to 98C. My current tin of tea says that 85 is the perfect temperature so I'm just following instructions.
mik

Post by mik »

Stick a thermometer into your cup. Putting 85DegC water into a mug that is 22DegC will probably drop it below 80 almost immediately….
GG.

Post by GG. »

Its an interesting one - we put our kitchen renovation on ice so didn't get that far but when I was looking into it the boiling water taps, those that do 100 deg C seem to spit scalding water everywhere due to the fact the water is cavitating (or whatever the correct term is) as it is coming out of the tap. The ones at near boiling seemed to have a much smoother flow.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Had use of one these 2 weeks ago in a holiday rental. I still think they're the work of the Devil - to the extent I flatly refused to have one in our new kitchen, much to my wife's disapproval. I think after using the one in the rental it sowed enough doubt in her mind about them that I'm safe though :lol:

And yes, they seem hugely inefficient - unless you really want a tiny airing cupboard under your kitchen sink.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

mik wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:20 pm Stick a thermometer into your cup. Putting 85DegC water into a mug that is 22DegC will probably drop it below 80 almost immediately….
I think that makes it perfect, having a look at this sort of loose leaf tea recommendation online it says 80-85C :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

GG. wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:22 pm Its an interesting one - we put our kitchen renovation on ice so didn't get that far but when I was looking into it the boiling water taps, those that do 100 deg C seem to spit scalding water everywhere due to the fact the water is cavitating (or whatever the correct term is) as it is coming out of the tap. The ones at near boiling seemed to have a much smoother flow.
I found this out the first time I ran it as it still had air in the system :shock: But it's all good now. I still don't trust it so I refuse to hold a mug under it. Leave the mug on the side of the sink and fill it so there's no chance of scalding!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:23 pm Had use of one these 2 weeks ago in a holiday rental. I still think they're the work of the Devil - to the extent I flatly refused to have one in our new kitchen, much to my wife's disapproval. I think after using the one in the rental it sowed enough doubt in her mind about them that I'm safe though :lol:

And yes, they seem hugely inefficient - unless you really want a tiny airing cupboard under your kitchen sink.
I agree - and I just know if I had one I'd end up absent-mindedly putting my hand under it and scalding myself too.

I've never had a decent cup of tea from any of the boiling water cylinder things, wall-mounted or Quooker or otherwise.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We get the keys to our new place on Thursday

Can’t wait. It’s been a long slog…
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
hoyleyboyley

Post by hoyleyboyley »

Having watched my old man go through mesothelioma cancer caused by asbestosis i would suggest that paying someone else to remove anything is a worthwhile investment.

He moved it in the 60s/70s when health and safety wasnt relevant.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Things have escalated a bit since I naively asked about "how planning works". We've got our pick from a few fields so just need to find one that the planners will go with and then get on with the de-crofting piece (which can be a right royal pain by all accounts) to see which way we go with planning. Looking to build a longhouse-style thing which will be in keeping with the traditional crofting houses, but we've found a company who do various designs and will also build them. Quite liking this one at the moment https://www.hebhomes.com/our-homes/layout/lh702pd.

Have spoken with a few architects now and got an idea of costs, which have obviously gone up in the last while due to shortages of materials and the rest of the ongoing shit show, so estimate is about £2100 per square metre for a self build - who knew? Give the plot is up north, we need to work out if we're better going with an architect, some of whom either don't have their own contractors, or maybe only a very small setup... or someone who can do everything.

Also, and I don't know why this came as a surprise, but it appears the council like to get their pound of flesh at various steps along the way.

Interesting thing about the crofting commission is that their job is obviously to protect crofting to ensure it continues and also to stop land being sold off for holiday homes and the like which has happened a lot over the years. In our circumstance, we'll be ultimately taking over a croft that's been in the family for four generations, but rather than you taking a small bit of land to put a house on, they'd rather you commuted to the croft. Not sure how that would work when you're up at all hours doing lambing.

Anyway, will see what the next month or so brings and this is clearly now my future.

Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We've started project decking. Knew it was on borrowed time as the previous owner did exactly nothing to protect it for the first seven years. This was amply proven when the stair gave way underneath me as I was explaining to one of the companies quoting for the work what I wanted done.

They started yesterday (only one picture so far, weather has been atrocious all day), stripping all the tops and sides from the back and side of the house.

The basic structure is OK, but two of the corner posts need replacing and they'll add in a few more. But, as with everything else done by the previous owner, it was done badly. So far we've found:

* Complete lack of noggins, so there is plenty of lateral movement in the joists (is that the right word?)
* Joists not fitted level
* One joist barely attached to the house (second from the right)
* Drain pipe (can't be seen, but to the right of the picture, between second and third joists) not attached, so rain water just leaking out underneath the decking
* Steps were held up with decking board, not 2x4, so were very weak
* Balustrade posts not actually the posts that went into the ground, but just screwed into them with thin steel brackets
* Load of rubbish hidden underneath (as can be seen)
* Old kitchen drain pipe left open and in place, thus providing rodents with an open door into the underfloor void
* One corner (top left in picture) has sunk

Fun, fun, fun!

Plan is to fix what needs fixing with the structure, then replace all the decking with new. Build a raised planter on the side (right of the picture running to the boundary). Lower balustrades (60cm) with a wire system to avoid people/things falling out. Should let in a load more light to the house, new steps to the garden and a step between the side gate and the edge of the drive to make it look nicer and make it easier to get the bins in and out.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Now reading about ground source heat pumps v air source heat pumps... different panel constructions SIP/CLT/CPS and also wondering just how much power you can generate from solar panels. All very interesting and makes a change from the day job.
Cheers,

Mike.