The House Projects Thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Ascender »

We found something very similar when doing our kitchen, bodge jobs are such a PITA and often its just utter laziness.

Mrs Mike is now painting the kitchen, so I'm buying her a DIY-related present every day at the moment to keep the momentum going. Might as well make the most use of her lockdown boredom as I can.

We've got wooden floors which are still in great nick, but there's a few places needing sanding. Just small patches really between a couple of the rooms where they get used the most. As they're quite small patches, would any multi-purpose sander do the job? Am I right in thinking the main difference with the bigger belt-driven ones is that they're designed for larger surface areas and bigger jobs?
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The house we're currently trying to sell was owned by a builder - Never the fuck again!!! :evil:

EVERYTHING is a bodge using leftover parts from other jobs. On the surface, it seems fine but you don't have too dig deep to find issues. We have 3 different types of UPVC windows for example and we've only 7 windows on the house
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

Just had a decorator round to quote for prepping and painting the dining room. I'm bored and tired of doing decorating and this guy is well rated on My Builder. Just have to see what it comes in at.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I thoroughly recommend it.

I'm able to paint and decorate but it was taking far too long in and around work and family commitments.

We got in the professionals who did the lot in a week. Living room, dining room, Kitchen, bathroom and 1 bedroom. Skirting Boards, Walls, Coving and Ceilings and glossing all doors. They also had the necessary certs etc to fit a new Towel Rail and a number of new Light units. Total cost was £1750 but they included all materials
Last edited by dinny_g on Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Simon wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:52 pm Just had a decorator round to quote for prepping and painting the dining room. I'm bored and tired of doing decorating and this guy is well rated on My Builder. Just have to see what it comes in at.
I hate decorating. Which is just as well as I'm still very busy with work.

House is looking good though, can't wait for the kitchen to get finished.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

With my little boy at nursery again I’ve suddenly gained 2 days a week. My focus at the moment is getting all the storage spaces cleared/organised (garage/roof/spare room) so I can build myself a proper workbench, which I aim to level up with a floor standing table saw and give myself an indoor area to do some proper woodwork.

So far however, I’ve made a big mess!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I'm still trying to restore my sheds to some sort of order. My main big shed was tetrissed full with 12+ years of accumulated tools, 'stuff', parts, spare parts, wheels etc.

I've been trying to organise stuff and move what I can to a storage shed at the top of the garden to leave my main shed as more of a workspace.

It's taking a long time and has resulted in lots of mess and lots of 'how the heck am I going to fit this all back in' 😂

Once done the challenge will be to keep it clear. It's very easy to just start chucking stuff in which means other stuff can't go back in it's proper place and very soon you're back at square one.
Cheers, Harry
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:55 pm The house we're currently trying to sell was owned by a builder - Never the fuck again!!! :evil:

EVERYTHING is a bodge using leftover parts from other jobs. On the surface, it seems fine but you don't have too dig deep to find issues. We have 3 different types of UPVC windows for example and we've only 7 windows on the house
We're in the same situation (although not selling). Endless list of bodges, shortcuts and cheats
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Playhouse* is superb Rich. 8-)

I'm very impressed with everyone's efforts, I've taken the easy way out and ordered a shed from the local shed place. Took a look at a neighbour's and they look good quality. Super excited to get that so that I can clear the garage.

* - They used to call them Wendy houses when I was a kid, is that no longer the done thing? :?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:28 pm
dinny_g wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:55 pm The house we're currently trying to sell was owned by a builder - Never the fuck again!!! :evil:

We're in the same situation (although not selling). Endless list of bodges, shortcuts and cheats
Same. We've more than 4 different types of windows and the guy wasn't a builder, just a master bodger.

Current project is sorting our extension which appears to be sailing down the garden - suspect footings not up to the job and poor ground. Can get your fingers in the gap between the dining room and the main part of the house. First stop is holes to be dug at each corner to investigate and then structural engineer to advise. Hopefully remedial works will be possible. Don't really fancy a rebuild. All of this has to happen before we can restart the kitchen project which we're desperate to get on with!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

On the garage side od things - I need to organise shelving storage and tool chests. Anyone got any general pointers and recommendations for kit? I want to get it sorted asap so I can then redo the main shed and start brewing again.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:44 pm On the garage side od things - I need to organise shelving storage and tool chests. Anyone got any general pointers and recommendations for kit? I want to get it sorted asap so I can then redo the main shed and start brewing again.
If you can hang wall shelves and haven't got very heavy things IKEA Algot is quick and easy.

Also, sucks that your extension is that badly done.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:44 pm On the garage side od things - I need to organise shelving storage and tool chests. Anyone got any general pointers and recommendations for kit? I want to get it sorted asap so I can then redo the main shed and start brewing again.
I've been pondering much the same thing. Screwfix have some heavy duty shelving that I've been looking at which isn't that expensive.

I'm going back to the idea of a painted floor I think. Tiled is the dream but it'll just sit too high.

Anyway, the shed is the first step to clear it out, then I should probably think about the floor. Then shelving and tool chest.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I have heavy duty wire racking (slot together, so can be reconfigured easily) and big 65 l hinge lidded storage tubs. I’m in the process of reorganising it now So not worth a photo, but it seems to work pretty well.

Bikes are the hardest things to store nearly though IME. Wall hangers are nowhere near as space efficient as you’d imagine (I’ve tried them and taken them down again) and I’ve gone back to just stacking the bikes together.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

We have too many bikes, although we have thinned the collection down to 8 recently (2 each). We have 4 hanging up on the rack and the other 4 leaning against each other underneath. It doesn’t help that I’m the only person in the house that can put bikes on and off the rack. Bikes are just awkward to store.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:50 am
I'm going back to the idea of a painted floor I think. Tiled is the dream but it'll just sit too high.
Having said that, the price of decent Sika floor paint... :shock:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Sheds are a blessing as well as a pain. Really need to clear mine out but that's second bottom of the list. The loft is bottom of the list.

We've got a bike shed which takes a few, but there's two on the wall in the garage and the kids never put theirs away. They are a PITA basically.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Thankfully we odn't have any bikes...yet. THe added arse with this is that ideally I need a solution that can be quickly dismantled. Once the extension is sorted we want to crack straight on with the kitchen/ground floor renovation which will include demolition and remodelling of the area where garage meets utility room and kitchen. Plus the garage would be a useful covered workspace and storage area for those undertaking the work.

So the plan is essentially - sort garage storage > shift shit from shed to garage > sort shed > shift shit back to shed > house works > shift some shit back to garage. Biut of a PITA but a necessary evil unfortunately.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:41 am
It’s mad isn’t it. I was going to tank the bunker and make it a useable space as from what I can I tell it was just a double garage built underground but the price of tanking would have been thousands. It can stay as a wet useless hole.
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:27 am
duncs500 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:41 am
It’s mad isn’t it. I was going to tank the bunker and make it a useable space as from what I can I tell it was just a double garage built underground but the price of tanking would have been thousands. It can stay as a wet useless hole.
Problem is, it's the only brand that I know I can trust. Seen very mixed reviews of the cheaper stuff. :?