The House Projects Thread

McSwede

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by McSwede »

Indeed it is. Just wait until I walk off the landing in the middle of the night 😂😂

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just replacing a section of fencing before the cows get let out again. Got to test out the new auger.
Works well!
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Guess you ordered the 90degree attachment by mistake? :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think it may be the Australian spec.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Our sofas arrived today thank fuck.

3 months sitting on Cheapo IKEA armchairs… over!

I reclined and slept for 2 hours this afternoon :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Next project is redoing the floors throughout most of the upstairs as the laminate was badly laid on a badly prepared surface. While they're doing that the spare room/office will be replastered and painted. Was going to wait until summer, but as the laminate has split in an unfortunate place it is being brought forward to now (now meaning when we can get people in).
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I'm in the process of moving the vinyl room from the extension upstairs, downstairs. The 'garage' that was downstairs has already been moved into a custom built 26' x 10' shed (or stables of you ask my neighbours) in the back garden. This will allow us to use the upstairs as a large master bedroom with en-suit.

That all hinges on removing the current staircase which is holding the upstairs floor up. Not too tricky to sort, but I'm trying to run a business at the same time. As much as I jiggle every scenario, I think I'm going to have to close for a week and blitz it in one go.

I've already removed the roller garage door and replaced it with a set of French doors and laid a false floor to bring it up to the correct level, but catching covid and Christmas has stalled the project. Hoping to get my teeth into it in the new year, but the price of materials is still pretty shocking atm. That's putting me off too. I'd post some pictures, but I still have no idea how on here.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Gwaredd wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:35 pm I'm in the process of moving the vinyl room from the extension upstairs, downstairs. The 'garage' that was downstairs has already been moved into a custom built 26' x 10' shed (or stables of you ask my neighbours) in the back garden. This will allow us to use the upstairs as a large master bedroom with en-suit.

That all hinges on removing the current staircase which is holding the upstairs floor up. Not too tricky to sort, but I'm trying to run a business at the same time. As much as I jiggle every scenario, I think I'm going to have to close for a week and blitz it in one go.

I've already removed the roller garage door and replaced it with a set of French doors and laid a false floor to bring it up to the correct level, but catching covid and Christmas has stalled the project. Hoping to get my teeth into it in the new year, but the price of materials is still pretty shocking atm. That's putting me off too. I'd post some pictures, but I still have no idea how on here.
http://gallery.ov9.co.uk/

Matty kindly made a thing (I assume it was matty :lol: )
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Sweet. Thanks Matty (or whoever)!
Cheers.

Gwaredd
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

The 'playroom' (read: shit tip) has finally been transmogrified into 'the snug' over the last month or so, now the kids are getting older. We have had to apply the brain bleach when chucking away or gifting hundreds of quids worth of toys. Huge amount of work culminating in papering the chimney breast today, which I've always shied away from as I'm a fair hand at painting but hate the slightly bodgy aspects of paper. This was the 'paste the wall' stuff and actually worked fine, just wished I had a proper scalpel for the corner cuts as it became difficult once the paper sucked up the paste.
Attachments
paper.png
paper.png (244.82 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

https://www.diy.com/departments/harris- ... 539_BQ.prd

I use one of these in awkward situations, it’ll never give a decorator quality cut but it’s not bad
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

In December, my solicitor filed a claim (on behalf of me, as the freeholder) in the county court against my downstairs neighbours (lessees) for failing to provide entry to a surveyor on three occasions. The court documents show that the claim will be officially deemed as 'served' today, meaning they have two weeks to respond.

Whilst I won't go into the details of the whole case here, I'm very intrigued to see what their response is...
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Our next project (March I think) is to remove our existing open fireplace and replace it with a multi-fuel stove/woodburner

It's been very nice to have a an open fire for the past few years, but they're very inefficient (it takes ages before you actually get heat into the room, rather than just up the chimney), and in our draughty Edwardian house, it chews through logs

The hearth is cracked and needs replacing and the fireplace surround has always jarred (the proportions are all wrong)

We had a week in Yorkshire recently and the place we stayed had a woodburner, the first time I've ever used one for a period of time, and it solves all of the problems we have with our open fireplace

Obviously, we're not doing this work ourselves though! :)
Foz

Post by Foz »

Progress on the kids en suites

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Work is finally supposed to be starting at the barn later this month. Has been a nightmare trying to sort out a power supply to a builders kiosk while work is done.

First job is to stick a raft under the existing structure. Vid knows what sort of a job that’s going to be now the ground is sodden or if they’ll even be able to start work when they’re supposed to.

Better make plans to dispose of the remains of compact number 1 which is still sat in there 😂
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

DaveE wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:10 am Our next project (March I think) is to remove our existing open fireplace and replace it with a multi-fuel stove/woodburner

It's been very nice to have a an open fire for the past few years, but they're very inefficient (it takes ages before you actually get heat into the room, rather than just up the chimney), and in our draughty Edwardian house, it chews through logs

The hearth is cracked and needs replacing and the fireplace surround has always jarred (the proportions are all wrong)

We had a week in Yorkshire recently and the place we stayed had a woodburner, the first time I've ever used one for a period of time, and it solves all of the problems we have with our open fireplace

I’m surprised how many people still have open fires. The woodland neighbours all give us their larch and pine logs because they can’t use them in their open fires because it spits. Get one which you can cook on, it’s awesome.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Gavster wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:57 am In December, my solicitor filed a claim (on behalf of me, as the freeholder) in the county court against my downstairs neighbours (lessees) for failing to provide entry to a surveyor on three occasions. The court documents show that the claim will be officially deemed as 'served' today, meaning they have two weeks to respond.

Whilst I won't go into the details of the whole case here, I'm very intrigued to see what their response is...
I'll be interested to see the outcome. Bet their defence is that they are quite happy to allow entry but it must be at their convenience, and the three occasions weren't. Neighbour disputes never have a satisfactory result, unfortunately.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I bet you're wrong :P there are a few reasons why that defence shouldn't work in this case and I would love to share the reasons why, however I don't want to publish any of our communications until this is wrapped up. It will be a long ride either way, it's taken over two years to get this far, mainly due to some long Covid delays.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Happy to be wrong - but they'll presumably put in a defence of some sort, and it's going to be something which shows how reasonable they've been.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:12 pm
DaveE wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:10 am Our next project (March I think) is to remove our existing open fireplace and replace it with a multi-fuel stove/woodburner

I’m surprised how many people still have open fires. The woodland neighbours all give us their larch and pine logs because they can’t use them in their open fires because it spits. Get one which you can cook on, it’s awesome.
I'm not really sure I want to be cooking in the lounge (did enough of that with a microwave when we had our kitchen done!) 😂

I may get a little kettle though so I can make a cuppa while watching the snooker....