The House Projects Thread

Gwaredd

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Gwaredd »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:17 am
So it's still a dream house rather than a reality house? :(
Dream opportunity rather than house is more realistic, as the current one is utterly shite :lol:

We have a unique problem in that we require a place to house the business. This site had the opportunity, but when we added up the (realistic) costings, the final result would put in a bad finacial position, and if we were to knock it down and re-build, negative equity. The house is up for £285k meaning even if you threw £150k at a new build (unlikely) and 20k at a workshop, you be boyond the ceiling value of the houses in that area.

It needs to go for £220k for us to be in with a chance, but then you start attracting property developers at that price point.

At the moment, our house plans are on the back burner as we plan to pay the mortgage off before I'm 50 and aim for an early retirement (ish) and go travelling whilst we can still climb stairs unaided :lol:
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Fairly depressing seeing the cost of houses in Other parts of the country!
mik

Post by mik »

It works immensely in your favour when you come to your senses and leave Lahdahn tough. I do feel a bit sorry for those that remain there for their whole lives and never take advantage of their investment.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I live in Ascot, which is in Berkshire not Laaaaandan. If I wanted to move and take advantage of house prices it would mean moving away from all my friends and family, so not sure why I'd want to do that?!
mik

Post by mik »

OK. Fair enough.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes I guess that's the problem - I have no plan to continue living where I do in retirement (or even before then to be honest) but all the places I'd want to move to (Oxfordshire, Kent, Surrey, maybe West Sussex) are cheaper but not that much cheaper.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Spent most of last weekend giving the decking another couple of years of life, but will need to do something about it after that. The boards and railings are in a bad way, I don't think the previous owner ever treated them, so they had 7-8 years of full weather exposure which hasn't helped them one bit.

Pressure washed, cleaned and then (once dry) painted with a tinted anti-slip varnish. The coat we put on two years ago was flaking off, so it looks a bit patchworky.

Our plans for filling out the gap upstairs with next door are probably on indefinite/ very long term hold as he was made redundant in June. I suspect it won't happen before we decide to move.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

Finally finished removing all the tiles from the kitchen floor, 'scraping' back the tile adhesive as much as possible (with judicious use of my DeWalt multitool and a carbide rasp) and then screwing down some 3.6mm ply over the top to give a perfect surface for the new floor to be fitted by the fitter on Wednesday. I've fitted many linos in my time but for the sake of £50 or so I thought I'd leave it to someone else this time, plus booking it in weeks ago gave me the pressure to get my prep work done. The fridge is now in the dining room temporarily and I'll move the other white goods and cooker and Tuesday night.

It'll be a nice change from a cold tiled floor to have a thick backed lino under foot.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Finally got round to clearing out the shed, ready to empty the garage in to it. There was a serious outbreak of damp mouldy spores on a couple of shelving units, but I can't see what's caused it, so I'll burn them with fire and move on. But is there anything I can do to coat/seal the inside of the shed to try and prevent any moisture build-up over the winter? Doesn't seem to be any serious issues or leaks etc but thought better safe than sorry.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

If there's any moisture in there already, sealing the inside will just prevent air flowing and make it worse.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Ascender wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:40 pm Finally got round to clearing out the shed, ready to empty the garage in to it. There was a serious outbreak of damp mouldy spores on a couple of shelving units, but I can't see what's caused it, so I'll burn them with fire and move on. But is there anything I can do to coat/seal the inside of the shed to try and prevent any moisture build-up over the winter? Doesn't seem to be any serious issues or leaks etc but thought better safe than sorry.
Yu need to install all aircon in your shed, its the 0V9 way.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:43 pm If there's any moisture in there already, sealing the inside will just prevent air flowing and make it worse.
Hmmm that sounds way too much like common sense.

The spores seem to have dried out, so I'm wondering if it was caused by a leak earlier in the year which was patched up. It was in a very random place though, nowhere near the bit of roof with the issue. And the shed feels very dry if that makes sense...
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ascender wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:02 pm
Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:43 pm If there's any moisture in there already, sealing the inside will just prevent air flowing and make it worse.
Hmmm that sounds way too much like common sense.

The spores seem to have dried out, so I'm wondering if it was caused by a leak earlier in the year which was patched up. It was in a very random place though, nowhere near the bit of roof with the issue. And the shed feels very dry if that makes sense...
We've a brick shed at the bottom of our garden and I cleared it out last year to move everything fromt he garafe in there. Before I did I checked under the "carpets". Pissed wet through. However, all that moisture seems to be retained between the concrete floor and a layer of visqueen. THe carpet has always been bone dry to the touch and the shed has also always felt very dry.

When I come to sort it out I might paint the floor in a moisture barrier paint, but will probably still keep the visqueen and carpet down. THere's abit of a gap under the foor as well which I think also helps.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Ascender wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:40 pm Finally got round to clearing out the shed, ready to empty the garage in to it. There was a serious outbreak of damp mouldy spores on a couple of shelving units, but I can't see what's caused it, so I'll burn them with fire and move on. But is there anything I can do to coat/seal the inside of the shed to try and prevent any moisture build-up over the winter? Doesn't seem to be any serious issues or leaks etc but thought better safe than sorry.
Ventilation is key and airflow underneath.

Our shed has overhangs on each side and is supported on 4 corners with an inch air gap underneath. It’s been bone dry for 6 years.

Packing too much in doesn’t help neither does having things touch the sides if it isn’t properly protected on the outside.

Those pots of moisture grabbing powder do work well but it’s like putting a bucket under a leak instead of fixing it.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You need some airflow, put a few vents in. I imagine it’s just humid. When it rains a lot the wood siding can get saturated and the lack of airflow can cause mould.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

In emptying-out the garage I went to make some more room in the shed and it does appear to be fecked after all. It will be missed, but will be torn down, but was second hand and I did't pay for it, so its done its time. I don't need as much storage room now, so I'm tempted to just pick up one of these:

Plastic fantastic

Its hidden round the side of the house and I could probably add a second one if I need the space, but is there any reason I'm mad for getting one of these? Seems very low maintenance, will no doubt be a faff to put up, but should be less hassle and cost than a wooden one?
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Seems expensive to me compared to something like this :?:

I got a 7x7ft Centurion and it is solid. Venting system - despite warnings on here its never suffered a drop of condensation. Light colour might help that.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

£650 for a 5x7 shed?! I could build 3 for that!
mik

Post by mik »

Out of metal?

And I wasn’t saying it was cheap, it just seems good value beside £400 for a 6x6 made of plastic.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I put up 2 of those Keter sheds for quick storage when my family were doing a renovation - they’re pretty flimsy but survived a few years and didn’t leak which can’t be said for most sheds. One stupid thing with them is that they’re not really designed to be disassembled and reassembled. The shed plastic panels are held via long metal brackets which you put just use self tapping screws, but obviously you can’t use a self tapping screw in the same hole twice so that’s that.
How about not having a sig at all?