Randomness

Mito Man

Re: Randomness

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah ‘autopilot’ is just cruise control but the safety features are always on, it’s pretty vocal too, lots of beeps and bongs when other cars or cyclists get close or you go through narrow roads.
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Ta.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:40 pm
mik wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm
Autopilot taketh away one life, but saveth many more
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ ... e-21512255
What a load of bollox.

He saw the tree falling, had an instinct to think 'OMG we're going to die', but wouldn't have had the instinct to brake himself in that same time?

Jimmy Hill.

He probably also retweets everything Elon says on Twitter and thinks that people just drove around crashing into everything until 'Autopilot' came along.

My Merc will take me from the office all the way to the Motorway, especially in slow stop-start traffic at rush hour. Is it convenient? Yes. Do I let it? No, because its eyes aren't as good as mine, and frankly I'd rather not trust my NCB to the decisions made by a computer...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

Simon wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:20 am
Jimmy Hill.
:lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

mik wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm
What a load of bollox.

He saw the tree falling, had an instinct to think 'OMG we're going to die', but wouldn't have had the instinct to brake himself in that same time?

Jimmy Hill.

He probably also retweets everything Elon says on Twitter and thinks that people just drove around crashing into everything until 'Autopilot' came along.

My Merc will take me from the office all the way to the Motorway, especially in slow stop-start traffic at rush hour. Is it convenient? Yes. Do I let it? No, because its eyes aren't as good as mine, and frankly I'd rather not trust my NCB to the decisions made by a computer...
Could be shock preventing him, same way some people just freeze up a lot of people just end up like deer looking at headlights and do nothing.
Poor reactions, if he braked himself but it took him a fraction of time to move his foot from the accelerator to the brake (and your foot is basically always covering the accelerator in a EV) then that tree would be on his head.
So it probably did save him.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The whole article did seem like a massive tesla dick suck.

Unless they specifically have tree falling down detection built in then the cameras are unlikely to spot a tree falling before a human paying full attention to their surroundings probably would. I know when having to drive past trees in heavy winds I'm constantly scanning for any signs of unusual movement, and I expect they make a fair bit of noise when they start to go too.

It's all sheer luck really, a fraction of a second earlier and they could have stopped clear, fraction of a second later the tree would have smashed the roof in and killed them despite autopilots best effort.

The chances of one tree taking out two going in opposite directions must be pretty slim 😀
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If only he were in an exciting car and speeding a bit to hear his glorious engine, he would have been well in front of that tragedy.

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:19 am
The chances of one tree taking out two going in opposite directions must be pretty slim 😀
The world - and apparently nature - hates a smug twat. To a near miraculous degree.
mik

Post by mik »

I heard a story that another Tesla driver elsewhere was in an almost identical situation - but they were awake at the time and saw the tree starting to fall. As part of the reason they bought their ludicrously expensive EV was for its ludicrous acceleration capabilities - they stomped on the accelerator and breathed a sigh of relief that they would emerge both safely and ludicrously on the other side before the tree could hit the ground. Unfortunately Autopilot kicked in and jumped on the anchors instead - the tree landed on his head, and he is no longer here to raise a complaint. :(
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If a tree falls on a car which is not a Tesla, has a tree really fallen at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Are emergency brakes better than normal ones?
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:47 am If a tree falls on a car which is not a Tesla, has a tree really fallen at all?
You may be treading a fine line between quantum mechanics and car mechanics here, but I can't say for sure as I'm probably a member of the 50% that are below average intelligence. :oops:
mik

Post by mik »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:47 am If a tree falls on a car which is not a Tesla, has a tree really fallen at all?

If a man is in a forest and there are no women about, is he still wrong?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

If a Tesla is stolen does it become an Edison?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:27 am

What a load of bollox.

Jimmy Hill.

Could be shock preventing him, same way some people just freeze up a lot of people just end up like deer looking at headlights and do nothing.
Poor reactions, if he braked himself but it took him a fraction of time to move his foot from the accelerator to the brake (and your foot is basically always covering the accelerator in a EV) then that tree would be on his head.
So it probably did save him.
The other question is, why the hell was he using Autopilot on that road in those conditions? In the Merc you don't even need it all switched on for the emergency braking to be active and take over.

The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I suspect it's lazy journalism, and that it was simply the same emergency braking feature kicking in.
mik

Post by mik »

mik

Post by mik »

If your employer is ridiculously prudish and lacking a GSOH, this may be slightly NSFW

NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:22 pm
Slightly naughty using the front tyre from 1970 vs the rear from a 2020 Turbo to exaggerate it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag